• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that Tune

I like the loud rock music, anything upbeat. I cannot cook as well with some classical on in the background -- I just can't.

for some reason, I can put up with talk radio.

(Apologies if posted before).

Timothy C. Davis

Charlotte, NC

timothycdavis@earthlink.net

www.themoodyfoodie.com

www.cln.com

www.southernfoodways.com

talk radio - 101.5 here in new jersey

or

neil(young that is) or warren though i haven't gotten his latest so transverse city will have to do

now eating is a whole nother story...

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I always liked the Cowboy Junkies or Bimbetta whilst cooking.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

In a busy restaurant kitchen there's already more than enough noise hindering effective communication without introducing more. :angry: OK, I'll relent a little, you can listen to anything except heavy metal or opera during prep and clean-up - but nothing during service!

I've always liked music when I've worked, but I've always had high volume, low precision jobs. Not fussy, I mean. But I can not STAND when someone is talking to me. That's when I start burning myself and making mistakes.

Have you ever worked on a line with 4 or 5 guys - the chef calling for more eggs or oysters or whatever, the middleman calling out orders (yes, even with computerized ordering, there is still need for a lot of verbal communication in a full service restaurant), the expediter calling for tables, the busser asking the dish people for more whatever, a server or manager bringing back a complaint, and on it goes. Add to that, the noise of the ice machine, the dishwasher running, the clatter of stacking plates, hanging pans, and so it goes...

Oh, but the rush of the activity and the rare perfect synchronization of the performance is its own kind of music!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really have a preference, but this past weekend I did a lot of cooking to the sounds of "Mosquitos" the band not the bug.

The CD made good hangover music in the morning as 7 of us went through 8 cases of beer, 3 bottles of Jagermeister, 1 bottle tequila, 4 bottles of wine and numerous other shots/alcohol. I'm very sure I drank more this Labor Day weekend than I have in 5 years put together before it.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

The CD made good hangover music in the morning as 7 of us went through 8 cases of beer, 3 bottles of Jagermeister, 1 bottle tequila, 4 bottles of wine and numerous other shots/alcohol.  I'm very sure I drank more this Labor Day weekend than I have in 5 years put together before it.

Holy shit!

Noise is music. All else is food.

The CD made good hangover music in the morning as 7 of us went through 8 cases of beer, 3 bottles of Jagermeister, 1 bottle tequila, 4 bottles of wine and numerous other shots/alcohol.  I'm very sure I drank more this Labor Day weekend than I have in 5 years put together before it.

Holy shit!

pretty much what most of us said each morning as we got up! :smile:

The drink of the weekend were Jager bombs. 1 shot Jager w/2 shots red bull. There must be some weird cancelling out effect from the red bull as I think we should not have been able to function w/that much alcohol.

I'm also very sure on the amounts as recycling is a must in N WI and I crushed all the cans and took the cans/bottles to the recycling center before we left.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

DEATH METAL!

haha...

Nah, I like jazz....but I agree, during service is time for the music of the kitchen....I have this great pair of headphones that I rock during prep and cleanup though....hmmm they are highly advisable.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

• 1 year later...

Straight ahead rock and heavy metal is the norm in most restaurant kitchens, but when I'm cooking at home, I cook to a different drummer.

These days it's Thievery Corporation, tunes with a Latin flavour, jazz or a bit of Steve Reich depending on the day.

What is your favourite tune or tunes to cook by, at home or at the restaurant?

I cook in silence. I loathe the radio, or any other distraction to what I am doing. Used to drive me mental at work. We took turns picking the tunes. I was not a popular girl on 'Silent Saturdays' as I used to call them :biggrin:

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Lately I've been listening to audio books while cooking. I don't have time to fast forward through the songs I don't like on my CDs and I don't like listening to commercials on radio stations.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda