• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burgers/Meatloaf--Cook-Off 10

Chris Amirault

I guess this is not the thread for mentioning the excellent veal ("polpettone") loaves in Marcella Hazan's cookbooks.

No, Linda, this is exactly the topic for mentioning this! I don't know about these, and the recipe isn't in the one Hazan book I own, so it's off to the library I go tomorrow!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

My husband, like Dr. Mrs. Varmint, does not eat beef. Hence the proliferation of turkey burgers at home. And at the sorority, lots of girls don't eat beef or prefer to eat less fatty meat than beef--so I make turkey along with beef burgers and turkey along with meat loaves when they're on the menu there too.

I am a big believer in 80/20 beef for burgers and loaves. This makes for a pretty fatty patty--which is yummy, but not for everybody.

Toliver, yes, I normally add milk-soaked stale bread or breadcrumbs to my meat loaves to lighten the load. For mechanically separated turkey, though, there needs to be a lot of dried breadcrumbs added no matter what. Not my favorite thing to do.

Hahaha, I've only made "proper" hamburgers with beef once -- last weekend. And I didn't take no pictures either :sad:

There's a local burger joint that makes the absolute, utterly most fantastic burgers in the world -- properly aged, good quality beef, on good bun, nothing fancy, but insanely good. I've tasted burgers throughout the world, always comparing them to this golden standard, and have found lots of great burgers, but nothing that could compare to this. Hence, I've just never felt a desire to create a "normal" beef burger, and have always gone for the turkey or chicken burger -- besides, there are plenty of other great ground meat to cook other than hamburgers...

I've never desired to cook a vegetarian burger (I'm sure creating a good one would require some considerable skill -- far beyond my abilities), but I've eaten quite a few, and some of them are pretty damn good... I never could get behind the vegetarian/vegan/whatnot notion of adjusting your eating habits for any reason other than taste and health -- but then again, I never grasped the "anti-vegetarian backlash" insistance of eating meat with every meal either... Vegetarian meals can be every bit as great as meals with meat.

My homemade beef burgers weren't any better than the turkey burgers I made previously... And I reckon, unless you can get your hands on some properly aged beef, I can't see how you could create a truly magnificent burger, you know?

I reckon I'll make some turkey burgers for this one -- but maybe make some homemade buns... The bun is a completely overlooked element in a good burger -- people focus on condiments, meat and fat content, but the bun is the biggest contributor to the dish, other than the meat itself... Oh dear, I'm rambling again...

I always add ricotta to my turkey/chicken burgers, along with some McCormick's Seasoned Salt.  That's what they need.  Of course, I usually get ground chicken thighs from Whole Foods, which adds some flavor.

Men don't eat this kind of thing. Burgers are made from beef (it's what's for dinner!). That's the way that it works. You will have to start a new thread. You could title it, " These burgers aren't really very good, but I have convinced myself that they are"

When your wife don't eat no mammal meat, you take what you can get. So, I make do with these. When I want a good burger, and I mean a REAL burger, I grind my own meat, homie.

Real men don't blame wives.

Unless it's somebody elses wife. That's different.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Peanut butter burgers! Yes! Don't knock em till you've tried em folks. Trust me.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I'm so glad that we're already debating the finer points of meat composition. I just ground some chuck in an 80/20 mixture with extra beef fat. Those babies were astonishingly good. Still got some in the freezer.

In the spirit of helping those miserable souls who are seeking burgers sans flesh, I suggest flipping to page 20 of the current Cook's Illustrated (July/August) for their take on "veggie burgers." Seems like a lot of work to avoid flavor, but what do I know....

Meanwhile,

Peanut butter burgers!  Yes!  Don't knock em till you've tried em folks.  Trust me.

Marlene, what the hell is a peanut butter burger?!? I have a peanut addict in the house; this will sound like grilled crack to her. Are you trying to disrupt my marital bliss?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Chris, Chris, Chris. You have to try them. The peanut butter holds the burgers together without other stuff and they are the juiciest burgers going. I'll post the recipe shortly

Marlene

Actually it sounds kinda Vietnamese or Thai. Just add some soy sauce and scallions and shallots to the mix, maybe a hit of Nuoc Mam.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have been remiss, and must point our lovely members to Holly Moore's wonderful "Drive-In" Cooking eGCI course. If one were to use butter in the cooking of both patty and bun, and serve the burger with sauteed (in butter) onions and a square of butter on top of the whole thing for good measure, you'd have yourself there one homage to the legendary Kopp's of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. (Of course, the Dairy State is also home to the "Butter Cow" sculpture, found each year in the cream puff pavilion of the state fair, but that's another story.)

edited to clarify where the heck the Butter Cow sclupture is -- ca

Edited by chrisamirault (log)

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Folks, out here in the wilds of England, I cannot for the life of me find a decent burger bun. Any tried and tested recipies for the bun it's self?

In the spirit of helping those miserable souls who are seeking burgers sans flesh, I suggest flipping to page 20 of the current Cook's Illustrated (July/August) for their take on "veggie burgers." Seems like a lot of work to avoid flavor, but what do I know....

In the latest new episode of Good Eats, Alton Brown made a split pea burger. (for anyone who's into that sorta thing) :hmmm:

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

Folks, out here in the wilds of England, I cannot for the life of me find a decent burger bun. Any tried and tested recipies for the bun it's self?

I don't have any recipes, but do your supermarkets sell Kaiser rolls? Those work very well for burgers.

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

this is going to be interesting.

I'm in the northern hemisphere, but not in the US, and this whole outdoorgrilling business is practically unknown here. Burgers are something you get at McDonalds, and meatloaf is an exotic dinner.

However, minced meat is a staple here like it is in most western countries I guess. So, no outdoor grilling for me, but I have had a meatloaf phase a little while ago and I have made some pretty tasty ones. Maybe I'll look into those recipes and I have to say.. marlene's burger souds very tasty...

I could always grill on my grillpan.. right??

I'm in the northern hemisphere, but not in the US, and this whole outdoorgrilling business is practically unknown here. Burgers are something you get at McDonalds, and meatloaf is an exotic dinner.

However, minced meat is a staple here like it is in most western countries I guess. So, no outdoor grilling for me, but I have had a meatloaf phase a little while ago and I have made some pretty tasty ones. Maybe I'll look into those recipes and I have to say.. marlene's burger souds very tasty...

You can, or the burgers could be cooked under the broiler as well.

Marlene

You can, or the burgers could be cooked under the broiler as well.

And I'll take 'em in a cast iron skillet any day!

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Peanut butter burgers are chillin in the fridge for tonight's dinner.

This is as close as I've gotten to meatloaf in recent years, although possibly for the purposes of this cookoff it may not be considered meatloaf.

Marlene

Yup. That method usually gives a nice texture on the outside too.

Okay, on the meatloaf front, here's the big debate... red sauce or brown? :laugh:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

No gravy...horseradish. :wink:

edited to add: Leftover meatloaf sandwiches with a mixture of mayo and horseradish.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Yup. That method usually gives a nice texture on the outside too.

Okay, on the meatloaf front, here's the big debate... red sauce or brown? :laugh:

Gravy please. Everything can be made better with gravy. Even meatloaf. :biggrin:

Marlene