• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Karl Ehmer's

John

I made it up to Karl Ehmer's this past Monday planning on buying some of their German frankfurters and brats to take home. Even though it wasn't a Saturday, they had the cart open in front of the store. The cart had a compartment for heating sausages (German franks, all beef franks, brats, weisswurt, and other sausages) in water, as well as a griddle and small grill. I had a German frank ($2.50) and an all beef frank ($2.75) fresh off the griddle. Both were about 6 to a lb in size. You have your choice of sausages and your choice of how you want them prepared. The woman working the cart prefers hers simmerred in water, but most of them are already on the griddle ready to eat. You have to request one to be put on the grill if you want it char grilled.

The German beef and pork dog is right up there with Thumann's. An excellent tasting dog in this style. I bought some from the store with the intention of comparing them in a taste test, which I did yesterday. I also bought some bratwurst and all beef dogs to take home. The store looks like a butcher shop, but the meats are not made on premise, but rather at their plant in Ridgewood, N.Y. Brats, German franks, and other sausages are sold loose or by the pound. Beef franks were sold by the pound only. They are rather expensive. $6.99 a lb for franks and $6.49 for brats. I didn't ask about the other sausages.

The all beef dog was also very good. Spicy like a New York/New Jersey/Chicago dog. German style beef and pork dogs are the style preferred by these butcher shops. Some also include veal in the mix. All use their own unique recipe. The ones that make a beef dog usually make it milder than a typical all beef dog. Not so here. This dog was spicy and good. I bought a pack of them and will be comparing them to some other beef dogs I have at home when I get my shipment of Usinger's this week.

For me, I like to compare different brands side by side, prepared the same way at home. Yesterday I sampled a Thumann's, Karl Ehmer's German frank, and a Union Pork Store German frank, all simmerred in water and finished off on my griddle. All were excellent. Similar in taste, although Thumann's and Karl Ehmer's were closest. Just slightly more flavor and complexity than the Union Pork Store dog. But all equal in terms of overall quality. I would make my decision on which of these to buy based on convenience and price, since they are all in the same league. These 3 dogs, as well as Liehs and Steigerwald (from Syracuse and only available at their location or mail order) are my favorite German style dogs.

As I said, the differences in the 3 dogs sampled are small. The Union Pork store dog has a little tougher casing and slightly milder flavor than the other 2. Thumann's and Karl Ehmer's are very close in taste. In fact, this dog is the closest in taste to Thumann's. Thumann's is a little more tender and juicy. The dog from Liehs and Steigerwald that I sampled last summer is very juicy with a different spicing; containing veal and mace as an additional spice.

I also sampled the bratwurst from Karl Ehmer's. It was good, but ordinary. The brat from the Union Pork Store, which I had next to Ehmer's, was much better.

I'll have to check, but I think the cart may be open Mon. through Sat. For a grilled beef and pork frank, this place is at the top of my list. As good as you'll find in Jersey. It's a shame that it's very hard to find a place that serves a grilled Thumann's. All of the north Jersey places serve the deep fry dog. Falls View serves a griller, but it is specially made for them by Thumann's without the smoke. In my opinion, it isn't as good. There was a place in Hackensack called the Dog House Grill that I went to once 3 or 4 years ago that served the Thumann's griller. It was undercooked. At the Karl Ehmer's cart you can get your dog cooked in water, on the griddle or grill. It's prepared fresh and spends enough time on the grill or griddle. And you have a choice of German style, all beef, brat, or other sausage. Definitely one of my favorite places.

John the hot dog guy

The cart is open Mon. Thru Sat. They open very early (I pass there every morning at 6:30am) and close around 6 pm. The line on the weekend can be quite long.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I haven't been to that particular Karl Ehmer's (I grew up on Long Island, where there are a number of them- Seaford and Greenvale are the ones I am thinking of) but I do love those all beef dogs. The past few years, when I have been visiting relatives, we have been getting the cocktail franks (mostly for the benefit of the kids), but they sure seem to be made from the same recipe. And seem to have a nice smoky kick, if I remember correctly. Now that I live in NJ I have developed a taste for the pork/beef Thuman's ( I go to Jolly Nick's in Dumont), so the next time I am near a Karl Ehmer's I will be sure to try those as well.

They were also my go-to place for veal for weiner schnitzel. They would take a slice from what I assume is the loin and pound it flat. Very expensive, but worth it, imo- remarkably tender. And they would get me fresh rabbits as well, provided I ordered ahead. A great place- I don't go often enough...

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Thanks for the info, Double O.

Menton 1, I've never been to the Swiss Pork Store. Have you had their franks?

TongoRad, I loved the beef frank too. I'm waiting to sample one of them at home next to some others so that I can get a better idea of how they compare.

John the hot dog guy

Menton 1, I've never been to the Swiss Pork Store. Have you had their franks?

No, but I was curious as to your opinion of this place, John -- My understanding is that they make most of their stuff on the premises!

Swiss Pork Store

20-10 Fair Lawn Ave.

Fair Lawn

201-797-9779

The Hillsdale Store was sold several years ago to a fine (Italian) Butcher - several of the staff stayed on but the recipes have changed. They still offer a large selections of German Sausages and have added Italian sausages. However, where once you could find both northern and german sausages, several types of Bratwrust, well the options are limied and mostly southern (Still quite good and most are made within the store) During the summer they have a great wrust for grilling, pre cooked. The selection of german specialties like Quark, jams, breads, chocolates and cookies have been cut back, the owner said the customers have changed during the years (moved) I know that was the case with my in-laws. Late summer early fall, they use to have homemade pretzles -- and they really were the best around.

-- The Swiss Pork Store has one maybe even two former employees from Hillsdale, and the quality and choices in Fair Lawn are still superb. They do not offer the precooked wrust, however, for grilling, offer an amazing cut for Kassler . The cold cuts are also superb. I have special ordered from both stores and find Fair Lawn's store to be closer to my husband's northern german roots where as Hillsdale as I mentioned, offers more southern varities of spices in their meats.

that's my humble input... and now I am hungry!!!!!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler