• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill?  Tie on the Feed Bag

Courtzzz

perhaps arrogant and derogatory were too strong on my part.

my opinion that if you really wanted to help the customer and make him/her happy then ask them before a near empty plate is thrown out not to ask her afterward.

[Our relatively full plates were cleared and we were not even questioned about whether there was a problem with the food.

]

This is why I question why if the restaurant wants happy customers - why not ask them at this point not on their way out when they just want to get out.

As I said before my server Sean told me he asked if everything was good. He said they said it was. Do servers lie. Of course, especially after I read about a problem splashed on the internet. No matter what I say on this subject I don't look good. I'm just trying to appease a customer who had a bad experience. And I agree, I hope Courtzzz doesn't become a lurker, this forum also helps us in the business to hear what a customer sometimes is embarassed to say face to face.

I've got the feeling that a lot of restaurant owners and chefs that are lurkers will remain lurkers after this. (BG). As for me, I believe if you're in this business, you're up for criticism. We all love good reviews but you gotta listen when it's not up to speck. As for those e-gulleters that do decide to try The Grill, please introduce yourselves after you dine and save room for a cocktail with me in the lounge after.

Thanks, Lou

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to end this squabble on a positive note, I will post my first message to this site as a new fan of An American Grill.  As a native New Yorker with ample exposure to some of the finest restaurants in our area, I can say, without hesitation, that I was quite impressed to discover such fine food, atmosphere and service tucked away on the other side of the river.  My experience has been quite the opposite of the complainant, from the quality and prepartion of our meals, to the gracious attention we have recieved from the owner, Mr. Reda.

In an effort to end this squabble on a positive note, I will post my first message to this site as a new fan of An American Grill.  As a native New Yorker with ample exposure to some of the finest restaurants in our area, I can say, without hesitation, that I was quite impressed to discover such fine food, atmosphere and service tucked away on the other side of the river.  My experience has been quite the opposite of the complainant, from the quality and prepartion of our meals, to the gracious attention we have recieved from the owner, Mr. Reda.

Who made you in charge of ending threads?

You know the owner by name?  Your first post?  I take your comments with a bit of skepticism.  But I am glad you enjoyed the restaurant.  I will be trying it out myself in the near future.

"Who made you the reigning deity on what is an interesting thread and what is not? " - TheBoatMan

Boatman,

Who appointed you judge and jury?  Did I post this for your scrutiny?  The purose of such a forum is to provide ones opinion in order to allow others to make an informed decision.  Perhaps you should re-examine your motivation for policing this site.  Should I choose to post another opinion, perhaps I should email you a proof for your approval.

[As a native New Yorker with ample exposure to some of the finest restaurants in our area, I can say, without hesitation, that I was quite impressed to discover such fine food, atmosphere and service tucked away on the other side of the river. ]

I too am a native New Yorker and have ample exposure to the finest resturants in our area and beyond.  If this is your opinion of fine food, I have to agree with the Boatman about taking your comments with a bit of skepticism.

I too am a native New Yorker and have ample exposure to the finest resturants in our area and beyond.  If this is your opinion of fine food, I have to agree with the Boatman about taking your comments with a bit of skepticism.

what NJ restaurants do you find incredible?

[what NJ restaurants do you find incredible? ]

Not many Tommy.  The River Palm Terrace is the NJ restaurant that I most frequently visit and I drive an hour to get there. It’s worth the trip because the food is great.  Another place that I have always enjoyed is Doris and Ed’s.  These are the only 2 that I would put in that category.

I live in Somerset County very close to both the Bernards Inn and the Ryland Inn.  Both are nice places but more for special occasions.  I find most of the local places to be inconsistent.

Have any recommendations???

I live in Somerset County very close to both the Bernards Inn and the Ryland Inn.  Both are nice places but more for special occasions.  I find most of the local places to be inconsistent.

Have any recommendations???

none for out that way.  i'm very north jersey-centric.  a couple of favs for the last year have been:

china 46 - ridgefield

la scala (italian) - hoboken

wondee's thai - hackensack

brooklyn pizza - hackensack

stage house inn - scotch plains

rutt's hut (hot dogs) - clifton

la carbonaia (italian) - ho-ho-kus

cafe panache - ramsey

i've also always enjoyed cafe matisse in rutherford, but haven't been in probably 3 yrs.

the bar at the brass rail - hoboken

little saigon (vietnamese) - nutley

almost all of the above would be considered "local" places, and i've found them very consistent over the years.