• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Campbell set to launch upscale soup line

Gifted Gourmet

the article

The shelf-stable soups come in aseptic cartons; the flavors are Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato; Golden Butternut Squash; Blended Red Pepper and Black Bean; Creamy Portabello Mushroom; and Italian Tomato with Basil and Garlic. Cartons are 500 ml (roughly two cups) and sell for $3; four flavors (all but Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato) also come in resealable one-liter cartons.

Sound like something you might find interesting? :rolleyes:

Which premium soups might you wish they would add to this Gold Label line?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

the article
The shelf-stable soups come in aseptic cartons; the flavors are Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato; Golden Butternut Squash; Blended Red Pepper and Black Bean; Creamy Portabello Mushroom; and Italian Tomato with Basil and Garlic. Cartons are 500 ml (roughly two cups) and sell for $3; four flavors (all but Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato) also come in resealable one-liter cartons.

I doubt it, given the source and the easy availability of good restaurant soups in my neighborhood.

Michael aka "Pan"

the article

I doubt it, given the source and the easy availability of good restaurant soups in my neighborhood.

I envy you.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I doubt it, given the source and the easy availability of good soups in my kitchen.

Plus, I suspect that Campbell's upscale soups will have just as much sodium as the regular variety; I'd just as soon stay away.

Wasn't their Gardenay line supposed to be restaurant quality soup? I personally wouldn't try it. I don't like canned soup at the worst of times and I won't go out of my to look for it.

Many, many years ago, Campbell's came up with a wonderful peanut butter and cream of tomato soup. They couldn't figure out how to market it, so it never got off the bench. But it was really, really good.

As for restaurant-quality soups in a can, I dunno. It's so easy to do, and stuff like Perfect Addition makes it even easier for the home cook, I'd think. But I'll try it.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I actually just bought some Campbell's soup a couple weeks ago... Campbell's Select, maybe? Big brown can, no water needed. Anyway, I got their Wedding Soup and it was actually really good. I mean like, "holy crap, did this come out of a can?" good.

None of the other varieties impressed me but I'll get some more of that Wedding Soup in a heart beat.

Which leads me to another question about Campbell's soups... why can't I find low sodium varieties anywhere? I can find Chicken Noodle, Vegitarian Veg (with letters!), and Tomato... that's it. I have a toddler that, when all else fails (which anyone with a toddler will tell you is more often than not), will eat her weight in Campbell's. I just wish they would offer all of their soups as low sodium... they still taste ok (I said OK! I'm not saying they're great!) without all the salt.

Which premium soups might you wish they would add to this Gold Label line?

I will reserve judgement until I try a split pea soup.. I know it is simple, but it is my favorite and so easy to make taste like hamster crap.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

Which leads me to another question about Campbell's soups... why can't I find low sodium varieties anywhere?  I can find Chicken Noodle, Vegitarian Veg (with letters!), and Tomato... that's it.  I have a toddler that, when all else fails (which anyone with a toddler will tell you is more often than not), will eat her weight in Campbell's.  I just wish they would offer all of their soups as low sodium... they still taste ok (I said OK!  I'm not saying they're great!) without all the salt.

I think they have a couple other low-sodium flavors, but it's certainly a small line.

If lower-sodium (as opposed to low-sodium) is OK with you, there are some other brands that are fairly readily available. Baxter's (from Scotland but widely available in US); Amy's; Health Valley and I'm sure there are more. Check sodium on the cans; it varies.

Also, I think the Campbell's chicken and vegetable soups would be pretty easy to duplicate using prepared but low sodium broth; some of those brands that come in a box are not too bad.

I probably won't try the deluxe Campbell's. When I have a yen for canned soup with all the salt-- usually when I'm sick in bed-- I go straight to Progresso.

Edited by Tess (log)

I'll try them assuming they aren't loaded with sugar and corn starch like most of Campbell's current lineup.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I will reserve judgement until I try a split pea soup.. I know it is simple, but it is my favorite and so easy to make taste like hamster crap.

Hmmm...can you fill the rest of us in on how hamster crap tastes?

I'm sorry. Just couldn't resist. I really tried, and was quite surprised no one beat me to it. Lack of will power on my part I guess.

You guys are made of stone. <big grin>

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

I doubt it, given the source and the easy availability of good soups in my kitchen.

Plus, I suspect that Campbell's upscale soups will have just as much sodium as the regular variety; I'd just as soon stay away.

Depends on how much "stuff" there is in them. Meaning, MSG, high sodium content, preservatives, etc. I find that many canned or dehydrated soups give me a headache.

I'll try them assuming they aren't loaded with sugar and corn starch like most of Campbell's current lineup.

I have limited use for a shelf stable quick meal. That use is limited puts more emphasis on long shelf life. We've taken to trying to keep a couple of cans of soup around. I can't say I've been really pleased by any of them so far and that includes the organic and natural products from Whole Foods supermarket. I'd try this, if the ingredients on the label didn't turn me off. I'm a big label reader. I don't mind salt, but there are any number of products that turn me off. In the end, it's the taste and Campbell hasn't got a great track record. I'd almost question the wisdom of using the brand name in trying to reach the upscale market. Let's see how much corn syrup, modified food starch, hydrogenated fat and MSG is in the soup.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Hmmm...can you fill the rest of us in on how hamster crap tastes?

Apparently, it tastes like bad split pea soup.

Bill Russell

Many, many years ago, Campbell's came up with a wonderful peanut butter and cream of tomato soup.  They couldn't figure out how to market it, so it never got off the bench. But it was really, really good. 

If it was really that good, we may see it again under another name ... and, by now, their marketing skills have no doubt improved ... :hmmm:

Many, many years ago, Campbell's came up with a wonderful peanut butter and cream of tomato soup.  They couldn't figure out how to market it, so it never got off the bench. But it was really, really good. 

If it was really that good, we may see it again under another name ... and, by now, their marketing skills have no doubt improved ... :hmmm:

Oh, they always have had great marketing people. The issue was not with their "skills," but how to make it appeal to consumers while being honest about what was in it! Most people in the canned-soup market back then wouldn't just pick up a can of peanut butter and tomato soup. I wonder if they would, now.

Perfect Addition is a super-concentrated stock, sold in the freezer department of markets. I have only seen it in North Jersey and here in NYState, but it might be elsewhere.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

how to make it appeal to consumers while being honest about what was in it!  Most people in the canned-soup market back then wouldn't just pick up a can of peanut butter and tomato soup.  I wonder if they would, now.

While I would love to think that our tastes for the unique food experience have sufficiently evolved nowadays, perhaps the novelty factor of this blend of two unusual flavors would whet peoples' appetites ... :rolleyes:

or they, the marketers, might just opt for a general, none-too-specific term like "Soup a la Bacchanalia" which would confound but entice buyers ... :laugh:

Does the Campbells Vegetable Soup with alphabet noodles sold in China use have little pasta characers?

Does the soup in Russia use the Cyrillic Alphabet?

Did Campbell's Ancient Egyptian Vegtable Soup use pasta hieroglyphics?

SB (just wondering) :wacko:

Wasn't their Gardenay line supposed to be restaurant quality soup?  I personally wouldn't try it.  I don't like canned soup at the worst of times and I won't go out of my to look for it.

I think they don't have Gardennay in the US yet, Tricia, I mentioned to my girlfriend in Philly once and she had no clue.

Not sure how well soup-in-a-box will go down there, maybe? I could never find the pureed tomatoes in a box from Italy when I was in the US (not shopping at the right place, probably).

Knorr has them here now, too. I have tried the Gardennay carrot, red pepper, and squash flavours, they're OK. I like to add a little ginger to the carrot, and a little nutmeg to the squash, and pepper to them all, really.

Can't live on them, and I know nothing of the sodium levels, but it's better than a poke in the eye.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies