• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Research

We've had many discussions about what a food writer did or did not know about a chef or a dish before writing their piece.

What kind of research would you as a writer tend to do? As an editor, how knowledgeable do you expect writers to be? As a reader?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Are you talking about restaurant reviewers? I think they should learn as much about a chef or a dish as they can to convey their  opinion of it to a reader, which I guess means I don’t think they have to know if the chef trained with Paul Bocuse.

But as for any type of journalist, and his or her reporting, I think they should know as much as they possibly can before they even talk to a chef. We’re always surprised when we go to interview book authors and they’re surprised that we’ve read their book!