• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

finding wood chunks

Hi, I've got a desire to try out some home smoking (pork butt). I've got everything except the wood to smoke with. Are there any local sources in northern nj, bergen county, to get this stuff? The only things I've been able to find are wood chips.

Thanks

You may need some larger firewood logs to build a fire before you throw in the chips or chunks. I've had good luck with fireplace log packages, as long as they are hardwood, rather than pine. You may have to learn bark patterns from a tree book, but it will pay off.

I saw Hickory chunks at the HD in Clifton. If you can only find chips/pellets, try this: make a foil pouch and fill with some chips, poke a few holes in the pouch. This way you'll get more smoke out of the chips before they burn. If you have time they sell smoke wood on Amazon.