• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of the Okanagan

I am going to spending alot of time in Kelowna over the next couple of months - so I am glad for the above recommendations.

So where to shop?

For grocery shopping, Guisichan Village offers Liquids (cold beer, and a good selection of spirits and wine), Okanagan Groceries (Rhys Pender's nifty bakery), L & D Meats, Paul's Produce, and The Codfather for fish. These are conveniently located in a small shopping centre at Guisichan and Gordon. Illichmann's provides quality meats, European condiments (mayonnaise in a tube for picnics), cheeses etc. It's located on Gordon about a kilometre south of Harvey. The Mediterranean Market is located at 1570 Gordon, and Sunshine Market (good meat pies and stuffed pastas for quick dinners) is on Lakeshore south of Dehart.

The Eldorado is the bar of choice and proprietor Jim Norris has buffed up the food on the patio and in the restaurant. The best deal is the generously portioned half lobster cocktail ($16), taken in the sunshine.

First off - what great deli's Kelowna has. Even the Save-On foods seems to have a really strong selection (San Daniele Mortadella - do they sell in the Vancouver Save On's?). Med Market is fantastic - really large selection of meats and cheese - very busy - so great turnover. Well edited selections of pastas, passatas, and spices - staying away from the chi-chi and concentrating on what people use. It seems like the locals still do alot of home curing and pickling - my client was telling about buying grape juice from Med Market and making his own wine.

L&D Meats and Paul's Produce were also good. Illichman's deli was not as good as Med Market - but they had great slabs of dry aged porterhouse and rib roasts (I was really tempted...) Also - they seemed to have the largest selection of Ritter's bars that I have seen in one place. Bought some Blackwell Dairy Ice Cream - Maple Walnut and it was good. Wonder why it is not available down in Vancouver?

I was feeling so food optimistic that I even went to try to find some good Chinese food. Well I won't mention the restaurant - and making snarking comments would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Not evil - just not good - in fact I was asked 'Was the food passable?' Saw 'Hector's Casa' for mexican - menu looks okay - but again am I being too optimistic?

Also went and dropped by the Bar at the Eldorado - but the menu is pretty heavy duty. The lobster cocktail is now $20 - still a good deal - but I was told that it would not be enough food for a light dinner. The grilled rib chop looked good but at 24oz (and $64) - I need to fast a little before trying to tackling a pound and a half of meat. Had the salami pizza - nice crisp crust - but way way too rich. It came with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over the pizza - and at first I thought that it was over kill - but I was wrong. A big douse of lemon juice did nothing to cut the richness.

So far - so good. But it is realy only day 3 of my two month stint. If I find anything interesting I will post about it.

I am going to spending alot of time in Kelowna over the next couple of months - so I am glad for the above recommendations.
So where to shop?

For grocery shopping, Guisichan Village offers Liquids (cold beer, and a good selection of spirits and wine), Okanagan Groceries (Rhys Pender's nifty bakery), L & D Meats, Paul's Produce, and The Codfather for fish. These are conveniently located in a small shopping centre at Guisichan and Gordon. Illichmann's provides quality meats, European condiments (mayonnaise in a tube for picnics), cheeses etc. It's located on Gordon about a kilometre south of Harvey. The Mediterranean Market is located at 1570 Gordon, and Sunshine Market (good meat pies and stuffed pastas for quick dinners) is on Lakeshore south of Dehart.

The Eldorado is the bar of choice and proprietor Jim Norris has buffed up the food on the patio and in the restaurant. The best deal is the generously portioned half lobster cocktail ($16), taken in the sunshine.

First off - what great deli's Kelowna has. Even the Save-On foods seems to have a really strong selection (San Daniele Mortadella - do they sell in the Vancouver Save On's?). Med Market is fantastic - really large selection of meats and cheese - very busy - so great turnover. Well edited selections of pastas, passatas, and spices - staying away from the chi-chi and concentrating on what people use. It seems like the locals still do alot of home curing and pickling - my client was telling about buying grape juice from Med Market and making his own wine.

L&D Meats and Paul's Produce were also good. Illichman's deli was not as good as Med Market - but they had great slabs of dry aged porterhouse and rib roasts (I was really tempted...) Also - they seemed to have the largest selection of Ritter's bars that I have seen in one place. Bought some Blackwell Dairy Ice Cream - Maple Walnut and it was good. Wonder why it is not available down in Vancouver?

I was feeling so food optimistic that I even went to try to find some good Chinese food. Well I won't mention the restaurant - and making snarking comments would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Not evil - just not good - in fact I was asked 'Was the food passable?' Saw 'Hector's Casa' for mexican - menu looks okay - but again am I being too optimistic?

Also went and dropped by the Bar at the Eldorado - but the menu is pretty heavy duty. The lobster cocktail is now $20 - still a good deal - but I was told that it would not be enough food for a light dinner. The grilled rib chop looked good but at 24oz (and $64) - I need to fast a little before trying to tackling a pound and a half of meat. Had the salami pizza - nice crisp crust - but way way too rich. It came with a wedge of lemon to squeeze over the pizza - and at first I thought that it was over kill - but I was wrong. A big douse of lemon juice did nothing to cut the richness.

So far - so good. But it is realy only day 3 of my two month stint. If I find anything interesting I will post about it.

Don't miss Freso's. It is far and away the best restaurant in The Okanagan.

Also, if it hasn't been mentioned, The Heritage Inn in Naramata is a favourite of mine. It is a great spot for dinner or a glass wine.

Derek

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned The Gasthaus in Peachland yet. It's a FD German restaurant that has operated very successfully for years, and recently expanded their floorspace by about 150% to accommodate a pub with casual dining. They have some spotty reviews on the net but no-one I've ever known to dine there has had a bad experience. My mum and I have had several Xmas dinners there, the food is fairly unique to my taste, but apparently very authentic (far from the Bavarian stereotype).

Thanks for the great recommendations.

Went to Bouchon - which was lovely - I staggered out of there with a belly full of boullibase, veal chop, and red wine. I am planning to go to Fresco's this weekend - save for my sad sack saturday night.

Tonight though, egged on by a certain egulleteer, tonight - I drove around looking for Joey Tomatoes (to see how the servers, um, stacked up against the Vancouver CFD brigade).

I was circling around H97 - and drove by Cactus Club, Montana's, etc... and I then it dawns on me - I am a sad dirty old man. Suitably ashamed of myself - I drove to downtown Kelowna with the goal trying the local Thai eatery - but I ended up at Ric's Grill. Had a bone in 16oz rib steak and was very pleasantly surprised. Probably the nicest steak I have had at a CFD chain. Tender, well seasoned but suitably unadorned - nice. Aged for 28 days - but CLEARLY wet aged - it was called Sterling grade (I was told something like the top 15% of AAA grade).

Manager came by and said that they were very close to getting a Vancouver location - which would have been just about accross the street from HSG! Well - they came to their senses and chickened out... all worship hanger and GPB!!!

I'm surprised that no-one's mentioned The Gasthaus in Peachland yet. It's a FD German restaurant that has operated very successfully for years, and recently expanded their floorspace by about 150% to accommodate a pub with casual dining. They have some spotty reviews on the net but no-one I've ever known to dine there has had a bad experience. My mum and I have had several Xmas dinners there, the food is fairly unique to my taste, but apparently very authentic (far from the Bavarian stereotype).

I agree with you. Several weeks ago, after standing in snow and mud for a few hours, in we shot for lunch. The enormous fireplace was a warm welcome, as was the food. I had brawurst Nurenburger, kraut and very good rosti potatoes - for $8.95. Big summer beer garden which I anticipate attending, by boat.

The room is really quite authenic, with carved woodwork but no cuckoo clocks that we spotted. Lots of Hellenic beers on tap and by the bottle.

Nice call Anchoress.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Speaking of Kelowna any rec's on a decent place just off the highway (97) for a quick lunch? I'm transporting the folks for their annual stay in Vancouver and if I have to eat at another Montanas or Tims I'll slit my wrists.

While I'm at it (and this is a really long shot) are there any recommendations for dinner in Clearwater?

Speaking of Kelowna any rec's on a decent place just off the highway (97) for a quick lunch? I'm transporting the folks for their annual stay in Vancouver and if I have to eat at another Montanas or Tims I'll slit my wrists.

While I'm at it (and this is a really long shot) are there any recommendations for dinner in Clearwater?

The Birch Grill or The Bohemian on Bernard downtown; The Cactus Club or Joey's on 97. In behind the CC there's a very good pho shop if your folks are slightly more adventurous. But the Cactus Club serves a good lunch in attractive surroundings. Speaking of the Human Resources Department, if you mention Neil Wyles' name to Shona, the bartender, and then give her $6, she will bring you a very cold beer.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

The baked goods at the Okanagan Grocery have been very enjoyable. The bread looks like it has been baked in wood fired ovens and has nice chew to them. So this Chocolate Bun and could not resist buying it

gallery_25348_2544_12014.jpg

It was cocoa bread wrapped around Benard Callebaut dark and milk chocolate. I thought it was good - but I think I prefer my chocolate in a more delicate baked good.

Dinner at Fresco's was a good as everyone said it would be. We were seated at the counter overlooking the kitchen. Quiet, clean, organized kitchen - Chef Butter was there - quietly overseeing all the food heading out to the floor. No ego in the kitchen with the various chefs (including Chef Butter) cleaning (including the pans) and prepping as needed.

Two freebies - Asparagus Soup, Smoked Fish Tart with Lemon Emulsion

gallery_25348_2544_4034.jpggallery_25348_2544_4949.jpg

Fresh bright flavors - really nice way to start the meal.

Crab Cakes, Honey Lacquered Duck Breast

gallery_25348_2544_5812.jpggallery_25348_2544_5198.jpg

Both of these were delicious! The Duck Breast came with a cherry taragon gastric - perfect foil for rich succulent breast meat that was perfectly rare.

My friend had the Halibut Cheeks

gallery_25348_2544_6830.jpg

These were served over a golden beet broth. The cheeks were very fresh and tasted almost like giant scallops.

Two MORE freebies - Brie and Fig Pate, Chocolate Cake Bites:

gallery_25348_2544_3129.jpggallery_25348_2544_7746.jpg

Again excellent flavors. The fig pate and brie were a great match and the chocolate cakes were light textured and melting on the tongue.

Incredible incredible value for money - $85 for two before tip (one glass of wine). Great service and really warm welcome from the hostess - Audrey. I am sure that I am going to come back a number of times while I am here on my business project.

I will be hitting the other recommendations soon.

This is my first time up in the Okanagan in many many years - and it is beautiful. It's no wonder there is such a land rush for property - I would love to be able to buy something on the water... but unless I win the lottery - or knock off my entire family... I don't think it would be possible.

Great looking meal, Lee.

A quick question tho - when you say Chef Butter, do you mean our very own Butter has moved on from Wedgewood? Anyone?

He's referring to Chef Rodney Butters, the owner - ex Wickanninish Inn, Pacific Palisades and other Vancouver restaurants. He owns the restaurant along with his wife Audrey Surrao.

Cheers,

Anne

Great looking meal, Lee.

A quick question tho - when you say Chef Butter, do you mean our very own Butter has moved on from Wedgewood? Anyone?

He's referring to Chef Rodney Butters, the owner - ex Wickanninish Inn, Pacific Palisades and other Vancouver restaurants. He owns the restaurant along with his wife Audrey Surrao.

I was gonna say .. 'cuz Butter (of eG fame) lives right next to my office and I saw her just the other day. People move fast in BC, but that would be amazing!

A.

Great looking meal, Lee.

No - Rod Butters is the chef at Fresco. Here's there website..it is a relaxed environment and low attitude. But the food is quite good. I wish I was a better wine drinker - so that I could sample BC wines.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

In behind the CC there's a very good pho shop if your folks are slightly more adventurous.

The pho place is actually behind Joey's - its called Huoang Gai (I think). Quite good indeed - but Pho seems so pricey in Kelowna at about $7-8 for a small about $9 for a large. Which seems about a third more than in Vancouver. When choice is limited though... what can you do but pay the price.

Went to CC and had their new apple pie which comes with a bourbon caremel sauce and ice cream. The sauce was insane and tasted like they used Tahitian vanilla - very floral and heady. Surprisingly good dessert.

It is -15c here and it was time for something cozy. I drove down to Peachland and checked out the Gasthaus.

It is a really nice place - none of the pictures online really do justice to how warm and cozy it is to be there. Big fireplace, warm wood, and overloaded with taxidermy.

gallery_25348_2544_12494.jpggallery_25348_2544_5086.jpg

gallery_25348_2544_3147.jpggallery_25348_2544_5492.jpg

I had the pork hock which came with two bread dumplings and red cabbage.

gallery_25348_2544_8477.jpg

I did not come even close to make a dent into the pork - it was HUGE. Crisp crackling, rich and fatty - what can you say? It was reassuringly comforting - just like the room. After two weeks of being locked in a room with my clients (and another 6 weeks to go) - this was a nice perk of working a out of town gig.

Side note - it occured to me that if this was a US town - everyone would be gorging on fast food and weigh an average of 300lbs. In Kelowna - I find the locals very friendly, very fit, and easy on the eyes. Must be the water.

In behind the CC there's a very good pho shop if your folks are slightly more adventurous.

The pho place is actually behind Joey's - its called Huoang Gai (I think). Quite good indeed - but Pho seems so pricey in Kelowna at about $7-8 for a small about $9 for a large. Which seems about a third more than in Vancouver. When choice is limited though... what can you do but pay the price.

Went to CC and had their new apple pie which comes with a bourbon caremel sauce and ice cream. The sauce was insane and tasted like they used Tahitian vanilla - very floral and heady. Surprisingly good dessert.

Whoops, quite right Lee, it's behind Joey's, not the new CC. I have no idea how I could have confused the two.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Further upthread - someone recommended Wildfire Bakery on 87 - I checked it out for lunch. I don't know what is about Kelowna - but there are all these German style deli's and lunch counters - and I love 'em. They are are not trying to create culinary home runs - but just solid homemade food.

Check out the irony free decor. Lots of people enjoying fresh hot sandwiches.

gallery_25348_2544_16462.jpg

I had the Roast Beef on a Kaiser. It was mostly - what seemed like brisket - doused in gravy served on a garlic butter toasted kaiser roll.

gallery_25348_2544_11646.jpggallery_25348_2544_4219.jpg

It was really solid little sandwich. Tonnes of tender beef - garlic bread a la old school two for one pizza stands. I really liked it. It reminded me of the sandwiches featured in the PBS travelogue "Sandwiches That You Will Like" - homemade meals done the old fashioned way.

I succumbed to having a clam chowder with my sandwich. It was singularly the worst bowl of soup I have ever seen/smelled/tasted. Loaded with so much flour - it was thick stinking curdled mess. Strangely enough - the terrible soup made me like place even more.

They have toasted sandwhiches - including a Chicken Cordon Bleu version - that will be bear trying.

Dinner at Fresco's was a good as everyone said it would be. 

Incredible incredible value for money - $85 for two before tip (one glass of wine).

I agree on the value at Fresco - a Vancouver Top-5 experience for 2/3 the price!
The pho place is actually behind Joey's - its called Huoang Gai (I think).

So how do you pronounce the name of this place? Just want to be sure...
I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

I always listen with at least one ear when teenagers recommend good value. So when our neighbour Mike recommended the burgers and BBQ chicken sandwiches at the new Pappas Roaster's (beside the theatres at Orchard Plaza in Kelowna) we made a beeline. For $5.99 we had a very good hamburger: fresh chuck and fixings du jour, quality Portugiese-style bun and a whomp of Caesar salad to accompany. The BBQ chicken sandwich was also satisfying, although the BBQ sauce could have been deeper and less sweet. The (whole) butterflied and grilled chicken (similar to Quattro's style in Vancouver) looked good. And hey, they deliver, but not to Burnaby, Arne.

Nearby is the excellent Discover Wines. For our partners meeting two weeks ago, Suzanne sourced some hard-to-find bottles, including large format Stellar's jay and some older (02) CedarCreek Platinum merlot. Our Californian partners were fascinated. The adjacent LCB specialty store is your best bet for better spirits and out-of-province wines. The other government stores in the valley are, well, dispiriting.

Curiously, although Pappas is an independent, the slick menu graphics and decor suggest it's a chainlet in the making (Westbank? Pandosy Village?) and, based on this initial experience, one I would welcome.

For our morning construction meeting yesterday I served nasty, brutish men in hard hats Okanagan Grocery's excellent cookies, where cranberries counterpunch the sweet licks of chocolate. I'd warrant they're the best cookies in the valley, at least that I've found so far. Their super-sized gruyere-straws are also great with soup - yesterday, a hefty habtitant-style pea with smoked ham hock from Illichman's, freshened with scallions. Pretty good match for the variable weather yesterday: designer dusting of snow, meltdown, whiteout by 3 o'clock for the Thursday dash to the airport. By the way, you can now print your WestJet boarding pass on-line, and I recommend you do; I haven't been on a flight yet this year that wasn't at capacity. But by booking ahead four weeks or so, the single-leg price is about the same (c. $70) as a tank of gas. I wouldn't think of driving the Coke, let alone the Connector, at this time of the year.

Lots of neat, fresh cooking at The Birch Grill on Bernard, where you're likely to find lots of winemakers and agents on Thursday afternoons. New premises for The Bohemian, for casual sandwiches (the roast turkey is my favourite) and well made soups are now open, a couple of doors down from The Birch.

The cure for downtown parking on Rockets home nights? We go right after work to The Waterfront Wine Bar for some snacks and a glass of, top up with 'hockey sirloins' at the game and then return to Waterfront for some closing flossers and cleansers.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

I have friend visting me over next weekend - what would be a good winery to hit for dining. It is off season now - so I am not sure which options are even available. I know there are some suggestions upthread - but just wanted to see it there was anything else that should be on my radar.

I have friend visting me over next weekend - what would be a good winery to hit for dining.  It is off season now - so I am not sure which options are even available.  I know there are some suggestions upthread - but just wanted to see it there was anything else that should be on my radar.

Pretty tough, Lee. But I might be able to help you with an off-season tour, then dinner elsewhere. Give me a shout.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Jamie - thanks for the generous offer.

VC Girl - thanks for the heads up - I will keep it in mind.

JeffyBoy - I have no idea how to pronounce the Vietnamese Restaurant - obviously I cannot even spell it correctly.

Went to Fresco again last night and it continues to be delicous. Showed up too late for the specials so I had a couple of Chef Butter's signature dishes. Dungessness Crab Cappucino and Braised Shortribs w/ Grilled Aged Tenderloin. The crab cappucino was a deeply flavored bisque with bits of sweet crab meat. The braised ribmeat was served with its mirepoix and the tenderloin was perfectly aged and served rare. The vegetables that came with the entree were cooked more than is currently fashionable - but it showed how proper old school cooking could bring it out sweeter deeper flavor.

No room for dessert - but the meal was bookended with a small starter and a chocolate/orange cake bite. All this food for about $50 including a large bottle of water. I can't get over what a great deal Fresco is and how generous Chef Butters is with his food.

Last I went to the local creperie - Les Triskells on Benard. Thin, crisp, but very hearty buckwheat crepe with ham, cheese, and a sunnyside up egg. Served a very nicely dressed salad with a tarragon vinegrette. Also had a boule of local cider to get to whole Brittany experience.

One of the nicest crepes I have had in a long time - be fore warned though - the buckwheat count is very high in the batter. I mentioned TiCouz in San Francisco to the waitstaff and it turns out Franck the chef knows the owner of TiCouz also - I guess the world of Britanny style crepes is quite small.

The cider was okay - I like the drier crisper french ciders.

Still - another nice suprise in Kelowna.