• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of the Okanagan

Hi fellow Egulleters,

I am currently eating / working my way through the Okanagan from Osoyoos to Armstrong and would love to know about any of your favorite foodie places that you frequent when in the area. I am looking for anything from fruit stands to delis, small restaurants to major resorts. The only factor that needs to remain contant is that each of the places should promote the best of what the Okanagan has to offer (i.e. food, wine, local produce, fruits, etc.).

Thanks for your help. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Eric

Hi fellow Egulleters,

I am currently eating / working my way through the Okanagan from Osoyoos to Armstrong and would love to know about any of your favorite foodie places that you frequent when in the area.  I am looking for anything from fruit stands to delis, small restaurants to major resorts.  The only factor that needs to remain contant is that each of the places should promote the best of what the Okanagan has to offer (i.e. food, wine, local produce, fruits, etc.).

Thanks for your help.  :biggrin:

Cheers,

Eric

The obvious ones in Kelowna:

Fresco (disclosure - I work with them)

Bouchon

Went to both places two weeks ago and they are on top of their game. Bouchon is a more casual bistro feel, while Fresco is kinda the West of Kelowna IMO.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

As a kid, no trip to Kelowna was complete without a trip to Illichman's Deli. Don't know the address but I could find the place in my sleep! Cold-cuts and kaiser buns were piled into the Coleman cooler for the long drive home over the Hope-Princeton.

There was another stop we made every trip ... and that was at the fruit stand just outside Keremeos that had the big bear as their "logo". Anyone remember the name? Cuz' I don't ... Parson's or something like that. Stocked up there with tomatoes and pickling cukes.

I fear both places are mere shadows of their former selves ... but worth revisiting if for nothing else but their kitch factor.

A.

We always visit the Wine Bar at the Naramata Inn ( in Naramata) - they have a great wine selection and a good menu. Another favorite is the Hillside winery (also in Pentiction/Naramata area) - open only for lunch now I think.

It has been a couple of years but the last time Joan and I were in the Okanagan, we had a fantastic lunch at Cedar Creek Winery. Great Value, cheese plate was huge etc. and I was travelling incognito ! They did not even know I was nwyles from egullet ! Could you imagine the fanfare if they did !

Seriously, killing two birds with one stone : A wine tour and then a great lunch

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

The Joie B&B/Culinary School is on the top of my list. Check out their website at:

www.joie.ca

Stephen

Joie web link

We joined one of their Saturday night dinners in the orchard and it was great fun. The dinner started off with sabre-opened champagne on their beautiful deck overlooking the lake and from there we all walked down to a long table set with white linen set up in the orchard. The food and wine pairings were wonderful. All in all a great evening... however you need to reserve well in advance.

I don't know if Naramata is in your geographical region or not. However on the May long weekend we spent a few days staying and eating at the Naramata Inn. The dining room serves a wonderful 6 course tasting menu. Great ambience too!

Life is short, eat dessert first

We love the restaurant at the Mission Hill winery outside of Kelowna. The location is perfect - particlularly if you are dining outside - and the kitchen superb.

In Kelowna, a deli that I think is much better than Illichmans, is the Mediterranean Market. If you just feel like heading to the beach, stop in and buy one of their subs( filled with capicolli, some other spiced meat I was never able to identify, jalapeno havarti, and a spicy mustard), or buy buns and ingredients of your own. They were a tradition when I was kid, and hopefully they've managed to uphold the quality. At lunch time everyday there would be huge line ups of people waiting to order one of their sandwiches.

The dining room and kitchen at the Hotel Eldorado have recentely been rennovated I've heard, and a fresh chef has been brought in. I've heard from a couple of parties that the food has improved greatly in quality and is bordering on fantastic. Being right on the lake, there dock/patio is awesome.

If your looking for something a little more casual, the fellow who opened the Baan Thai in Victoria has moved to Kelowna and opened the Siam Orchid right downtown by the movie theatre. It's a local favourite, but since your coming from Vancouver, its probably not worth the visit.

The Woodfire Bakery on Highway 97 going through Kelowna used to be a great place for breakfast or an early lunch. Fantastic fresh baked bread and soups. The ownership has changed a couple of times though I think, and it may not be what is used to be.

I second the motion for Mission Hill Winery, I remember when it was just another little winery, what they've done there is absolutely incredible, and seems to defy the sordid atmosphere in the little town that surrounds it . Definately, worth a wine tour if not a meal.

In Vernon on saturday's they have, or used to have, a farmers market that all the organic farmers would bring the produce and meats too. If you're staying at someones house there and have a kitchen to return to it might be a fun aside.

I don't know if Salmon Arm is too far north for you (probably - but worth a shot) - I highly recommend stopping in at Gort's Gouda - greate cheese - and Larch Hills Winery isn't too far away - Canada's highest (or most northern - mind's a blank) winery - the view's great, and the Pinot Noir is going down a treat.

I split my time about 50:50 between Vancouver and Kelowna right now. Here are a few thoughts about the central valley . . .

I think that The Mission Hill Terrace and the Quail's Gate Old Vines Patio (soon to reopen after an expansion) are the two best al fresco/view dining experiences. For groups, Michael Allemeier's Private Dining menus (available in a number of venues around MH) provide what I think is the best overall dining in the valley--available for 6 plus people.

We also enjoy The Harvest Golf Club, Bouchons, Fresco, and La Boulangerie in Pandosy Village (terrific breads, pastries and tarte Tatin as well). but in the summer there's little better than just firing up the barbecue at our cottage (next to the Pinot Reach--now Tantalus--Winery) and enjoying the orchard and lake views. So where to shop?

For grocery shopping, Guisichan Village offers Liquids (cold beer, and a good selection of spirits and wine), Okanagan Groceries (Rhys Pender's nifty bakery), L & D Meats, Paul's Produce, and The Codfather for fish. These are conveniently located in a small shopping centre at Guisichan and Gordon. Illichmann's provides quality meats, European condiments (mayonnaise in a tube for picnics), cheeses etc. It's located on Gordon about a kilometre south of Harvey. The Mediterranean Market is located at 1570 Gordon, and Sunshine Market (good meat pies and stuffed pastas for quick dinners) is on Lakeshore south of Dehart.

There are a number of excellent organic farms near the Mission; Suncatcher is superb for greens etc., and of course Milan's early tomatoes will be coming in shortly at Stoney Paradise. The fruit stands that dot the valley will also be opening soon for stone fruit and berries. It's common to see local chefs out early snagging the prime stuff. Boar is available from North Okanagan Game Meats while bores are thick on the ground at most golf clubs.

The Eldorado is the bar of choice and proprietor Jim Norris has buffed up the food on the patio and in the restaurant. The best deal is the generously portioned half lobster cocktail ($16), taken in the sunshine.

CFD? We've also had quality eats at Joey's Global on 97. Chris Mills (ex-Diva at the Met) is the development chef there and it shows. The Cactus Club is opening down the strip in a couple of months. Earls have recently bought their well-located building that offers prime lake views, and will be renovating shortly to capitalize on Kelowna's rebounding downtown, where towers and loft buildings are sprouting monthly, and to the point where parking is tough on game and event nights.

The Bohemian offers very good turkey sandwiches and soups in a funky room jammed with locals. Vintropolis and The Waterfront (next door to Bouchons) are the two excellent wine bars, with some very good food too.

One tip for summer navigation in Kelowna: stay away from Harvey/97. Springfield runs parallel and with fewer traffic jams.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

My dinner at Fresco's was one of the highlights of my visit to the Okanagan last year. The restaurant is very stylish and comfortable with well spaced tables and the food is fantastic. I particularly remember asparagus soup with a shiny puck of goats cheese pannacotta and a fish dish that layered flavours with a subtle use of spice in an extraordinary way. I failed to take a copy of the menu away with me and I'm afraid the details of the meal have now been lost to time, but I'm looking forward to returning if we can get a reservation this year.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have now made it to most of the places you have recommended and I have been very impressed by the increased level of dining sophistication in the Valley, especially Kelowna.

My first three meals in Kelowna were at the wine bars (Vintropolis, Waterfront and Shine) and all three were amazing in the food catagory. I would have to say Waterfront was my favorite as I have already been back a couple of other times for a quick nosh and glass of wine. The chef (Mark Fliatow) came from Fresco and he is continuing to raise the bar in Kelowna the way Rod Butters has.

I have also had great meals at Burrowing Owl, Lake Breeze Vineyards (Mahdina's Patio), Naramata Heritage Inn, Jacques Restaurant and Wine Country Inn in Oliver, Taste of India in Oliver, Cellar Door Bistro at Sumac Ridge, the Ridge Restaurant at KLO and a number of others.

Overall the dining options are improving every year with the biggest increase in Kelowna. There are indications the Southern part of the Valley will be offering more choices in the coming years as new restaurants, resorts and inns come on-line.

I still have three more weeks to go in my travels, so I will let you know what other great places I come across. :biggrin:

Cheers,

Eric

• 2 months later...

We expect to be staying several days in "Osoyoo" next week.

Since no one has mentioned anyplace to eat there, I would welcome some suggestions for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Also anyplace open late ?

I am probably only dreaming, but are there any stands, farms or markets where we can buy fresh "Huckleberries".

Thanks,

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

We expect to be staying several days in "Osoyoo" next week.

I am probably only dreaming, but are there any stands, farms or markets where we can buy fresh "Huckleberries".

I'm not an expert on huckleberries, but my knowledge of them isn't trivial. I foraged and gorged as a kid. I believe that you will not be able to find any in Osoyoos. The reason for this is that huckleberries tend to grow on the stumps of rotting deciduous rain forest trees like red cedar and doug fir. This means that they tend to exist withen a couple hundred kilometres of the coast. Since Osoyoos is smack dab in the middle of one of Canada's deserts I believe that you will have a hard time locating rain forest product.

Am I mistaken? Do huckleberries exist in the okanagan?

In fact, I have never seen huckleberries at Farmers Markets here in the lower mainland .... and I sell at Farmers Markets now and then. They are just too sparse. It would take too long to pick enough to sell. But they are delicious.

As for anyplace to eat in Osoyoos, I cannot offer any help sorry, I have only driven through.

Anyone have any suggestions for Vernon?  Lunch/dinner/Sunday breakfast - any recommendations at all would be welcome.

Thanks!

The concierge at the 'Tel-A-Frend' motel is very helpful. :biggrin:

But seriously, you could do worse than The Eclectic Med, or for a water view and passable pub food, The Blue Heron.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Huckleberries are also available (or were around August long weekend) in the central Kootenays, most specifically the Slocan Valley. A great deal of the Kootenay's is classed as rainforest and has more than a few old rotting stumps around. :rolleyes:

Unless they are brought in specially you won't find any in Osoyoos.

Vanderb (ever hungry)

Amateur with dreams of grandeur

I'm in Oliver right now ... been for the past 2 days. No huckleberries that I've seen so far. Jusr tomatoes, the last of the peaches, apples, plums and pears. We're driving through Osoyoos tomorrow ... I'll keep an eye out.

A.

• 4 months later...

Good news from Burrowing Owl, and for those of us accomodation-challenged in the south Valley.

The winery now features 10 luxe guestrooms and a lovely swimming pool for those hot, dry summer days.

And Glenn Monk, formerly of Fairmont Chateau Whistler and Club Intrawest Zihuatanejo, is the new executive chef at the winery's Sonora Room. That's excited Michael Allemeier from Mission Hill, and the other brothers-in-arms who are sourcing aggresively up and down the valley.

Bonus: The Sonora Room is now open year-round.

Jamie

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

Glaring oversight: leaving Discovery Wines (Spall and Springfield, behind the Zeller's) off our go-to list. Very knowledgeable service, BC wines and cheeses only; very good stemware. Today I needed some local sparkling wine in large format on short notice - delivery tomorrow. Plus I scored some 02 CC Platinum merlot; even the winery doesn't have that.

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine