• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Jackal10 III - Smoking Bacon and a May Week picnic

Awake for about another 4 hours or so. Somewhat hung over today - must be that cocoa...

Scambling should have been scrambling but I can't type properly. Must be the hang-over. Scrambling according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrambling is "category of climbing that does not entail the use of any ropes on the ascent or descent."

You use cold smoking for foods that don;t want to be cooked, such as smoked salmon (lox) or bacon. Hot smoking would cook the food and produce a different product, also good, but different, for example BBQ pork.

I've not tried smoking fruits, but I imagine it could be interesting.Anyone had any?

Loaves with sandwiches or similar inside are usually called "Pain Surprise", or surprise loaf although that term can mean other things as well.

Here is a link to a picture of a proper commercial one from the entertainment menu of the supermarket chain Waitrose (www.waitrose.com) http://www.waitrosedeliver.com/images/prod...047275_BP_3.jpg

They charge £38.50 (say $70) for one to feed 16 as part of a buffet, and need 5 days notice. Much neater than mine, but rather less smoked salmon in the sandwiches I expect,

Here is the pork hock for supper.

We'll have it with mashed potato and a green vegetable.

gallery_7620_135_17268.jpg

Edited by jackal10 (log)

Fascinating Blog, Jack. Thank you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog