• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mirchi (Chili Peppers)

Here are some heirloom tomatoes and chiles from the Weaver farm at Bowers.

heirloomaters.jpg

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

I really like dryed Ancho peppers and have made the chili and the beef pot roast using the Ancho paste all described in Rick Bayless completely awesome Mexican cookbook.  His book got me started on my pepper adventure.

Which of his books is it that you used and prefer?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 14 years later...

A very nice topic indeed, and very old discussion. Sorry I am about to enter this now. May I?
It is WONDERFUL to live in America and cook Indian food. Truly! Because we have such beautiful ingredients from all over the world, and available all around the year!! What a lark! 

Here is what I use as far as Chilies are concerned.
1. While I used to make simple Indian Capsicum (Small Bell Peppers) sabji in India, I now use three colored bell peppers in my sabji.
2. I used to make a potato stuffed Capsicum, now I make the same dish a little spicier but with colorful small sweet peppers! 

3. Garbanzo flour (besan) stuffed BHOLAR MIRCH sabji in India, I use Banana Peppers, Ancho Chile Peppers, and Poblano Peppers to make this sabji. 
4. Mirchi Ka Saalan in India was again made with Haiderabadi Mirchi, I now use a mixture of deseeded serrano and jalapeno peppers with bell peppers. 
5. Mirchi Zunka is now made with two colored bell peppers to make it even prettier
6. And I use those sweet italian peppers to just stir fry and salt and serve with my dhoklas because they don't water up as much as bell peppers. 
7. Pepperoncini peppers make great Sirkewali Mirchi...! 

• Like 1

Thanks for reviving this topic, @Bhukhhad.  Although it's an old topic, many current members are interested in Indian food.  It's interesting to read about your use of chile peppers available in the New World to cook traditional Indian dishes.  

I think, if you were to post in more detail about any of the dishes you list above, you'd have more than one interested reader.  It would be even better if you were to post photos!  (PM me if you aren't sure how to add photos, or follow these directions.)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Aha, I just noticed that the Bharlela Mirchya Bhaji picture that I uploaded from the internet, has cumin seeds on it. I never add cumin seeds to this dish. Cumin seeds are added to one variety of stuffed Mirchya Bhaji, that is one of the potato stuffed Bhaji's. That one does not have a tempering of mustard seeds. And the garbanzo stuffed Mirchya Bhaji does not have a tempering of cumin in my recipe. 

Another note, you may see the words Mirchi, Marcha, Marchu, Mirchee, Mirchya, all stand for the same thing..Green Chili Peppers. We have regional names for each vegetable, and slight differences in the way we refer to ingredients. Thats just more fun. 

Bharlela Mirchya Bhaaji

Posting without pictures about some of the Mirchi dishes I make. 

Bholar Mirch is the local name for a fat long chili pepper that is dark green like an ancho chili. It is available for about a month in between summer and monsoon in Gujarat and Maharashtra. And that is the time when we usually make this dish. It is called BHARLELA MIRCHYA BHAJI in Maharashtra, and BHARELA BHOLAR MARCHANU SHAAK in gujarat. 

I use either Ancho Chiles, or Banana peppers or Poblano here in the USA. If the peppers are soft and pliable, then those are good for this dish. We don't really want to make them limp by roasting them on the stove flame as in poblanos for Chile Rellenos, if I understand correctly. 

Here is my recipe (I don't have exact measurements because I did not write those down. I will start getting into a habit of doing that: 

About ten good sized chilies, either Bholar, or Ancho or Banana Peppers
1 cup garbanzo bean flour

1/2 cup peanut oil divided

Salt, Asafoetida, and Turmeric to taste, 
1 tspn sugar
1/4 tspn lemon juice

Pinch of soda by carb
Crushed fresh green chilies and ginger

Mustard seeds, Whole Methi (Fenugreek) seeds 

Mix the garbanzo bean flour in about two tablespoons of peanut oil. Place in a microwave safe dish and microwave for one minute. Stir completely and put back for 30 seconds each time, till you get a roasted aroma. Be careful, it can burn. Alternatively add the same amount of oil, roast slowly by stirring constantly on a pan. Let the flour cool. Add salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder, grushed green chilies, crushed ginger root, and a pinch of soda bi carb. 

Wash and wipe each chile. Do no de-stem or de-seed. Slit them from tip to end but not all the way through. This is done to make a pocket. Stuff the chili pocket with this garbanzo and spice mixture. Lightly stuff as the flour will expand. 

In a cast iron frying pan, heat the remaining peanut oil on a medium flame. Once warmed not smoking, add mustard seeds and methi seeds. Immediately turn off the heat. Arrange all the stuffed chilies in a single layer over the oil, mustard and methi. Set the flame to medium LOW. Cover the pan with a wide container that can hold about a cup of water, like a stainless steel thali. Cook the Mirchi slowly and they condensation from the water in the thali will keep the mirchis cooking and steaming in their own juice. Try not to stir more than once or twice. It does not take long to cook, since the garbanzo flour was already roasted. As soon as you see the chilies wilt, stir gently so that they turn, but not break. Don't let any of the filling fall out. Pretty soon, a little caramelization will begin on the chili skins. Don't let it burn. Turn off the heat, cover and keep aside to cool. Plate when cool and garnish with lemon juice. You can serve this at room temperature. If you live in a cold climate and this dish has turned very cold, you can reheat for one minute at a time in a microwave. The skin of the chilies is not thick, and the flour inside cooks easily. So don't overcook. 

Bhukhhad

• Like 1