• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bleu Cheese-flavored potato chips

ronnie_suburban

I figured you did, but didn't know why it wouldn't work.  Prasantrin came up with the solution as I use AOL but didn't realize that this gave me access.

I haven't tried this; it just struck me with this thread going on.

Blje Cheese Potato Chips

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

1/2 pound blue cheese such as Maytag Blue, crumbled (2 cups)

Kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

One 6-ounce bag thick-cut potato chips

Cook onions in butter over medium heat until softened, ~ 5-7 min.  Stir in flour and cook for an additional min.  Then whisk in milk and cook until it thickens a bit over the course of 5 min.  Take off heat and stir in blue cheese; add salt and pepper.

Layer half of chips in bowl.  Drizzle with sauce.  Add rest of chips on top and drizzle again.  Serve immediately.

I've been thinking about this recipe for a few weeks now. I have a crap load of bleu cheese to use up--it has already formed fuzzy surface mould but the insides seem OK. Aside from potato chips, could this recipe be used for pasta, as well?

I figured you did, but didn't know why it wouldn't work.  Prasantrin came up with the solution as I use AOL but didn't realize that this gave me access.

I haven't tried this; it just struck me with this thread going on.

(use the snapback link below to see the recipe again)

I've been thinking about this recipe for a few weeks now. I have a crap load of bleu cheese to use up--it has already formed fuzzy surface mould but the insides seem OK. Aside from potato chips, could this recipe be used for pasta, as well?

Well, the half-pound of Maytag blue cheese I bought at DiBruno's last Saturday all went into the macaroni and cheese I made Tuesday night, and I make my mac and cheese using a cheese sauce based on béchamel, just like the sauce in this recipe. In fact, if you omit the onion and salt and add a half teaspoon of dry mustard and a half-pound each of shredded sharp Cheddar and shredded aged Asiago--did I tell you I am a cheese junkie?--you'd have my cheese sauce from Tuesday night.

So the answer to your question is "Yes."

Aside: My friend who comes over for dinner Tuesday night had the following reactions to his first taste of Maytag blue cheese:

"It's very delicious."

After looking at the label on the wrapping paper: "And very expensive."

I did not reply with my usual one-liner--"And it never needs service!"--but did tell him about the alimentary exploits of the various descendants of the appliance-maker's founder. (Anchor Steam Beer is another.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Slight tangent, but what's with "bleu"? Isn't "blue" good enough for cheese?

I wouldn't waste much time over-analyzing it :wink::smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I can't believe I've logged on to write this before seven in the morning. We're all sick!

But anyway, my two cents:

Michael Seasons produces one of my favorite junk foods: white cheddar cheese puffs. As far as I am concerned, none other compares. It strikes me that blue cheese flavoring would be perfect coating light puffed corn. I prefer potato chips plain.

However, one of the problems at the heart of the "How Come they Don't" question is test marketing. Second: cowardice. Who knows how we managed to get to the point where salsa outsells ketchup, but I suspect chain restaurants led the way, then manufacturers stepped in and responded to new public receptivity (sp? sorry, I don't do dictionaries before coffee).

Most food manufacturers seem to be scaredy-cats. Tropicana briefly produced a "Red Orange" juice that contained blood oranges. Man was it good! Then the company got frightened and replaced the blood oranges with red grapefruit. (I personally think they should have approached Mel Gibson and tied the original product to his highest grossing film.) Safer. Not so foreign. Look at how many upscale brands of apricot-mango yogurt there are, yet none of the really good (IMHO; i.e. sans tons of sugar) companies will produce a simple pineapple one. Horizon's brief flirtation with flavors that included rosehips and fresh ginger died an early death. They're all copying one another. Exotic is okay as long as someone else is doing it too.

Look at the way blue cheese is written as the subject of this thread. Again, too foreign. You need something All American.

Unless Frank Perdue's heirs give the public pre-cooked, pre-glazed packaged chicken wings to go along with their blue cheese potato chips, I don't think the latter's gonna fly.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Good thoughts, Pontormo. Just to add one tangential wrinkle, I work in the juice/concentrate industry and another reason why a product containing blood orange juice may have been discontinued is due to simply lack of supply. The last thing a marketer wants to do is launch product which cannot be consistently supplied. Processed blood orange juice and concentrate are not consistently available like their standard, commodity-oriented counterparts (Valencia and de-bittered naval, for example).

FWIW, I did try the gaufrettes which were linked upthread by Gifted Gourmet. We had to buy a case of 12 bags. They arrived to our office a couple of months ago. 11 bags remain unopened. :sad:

=R=

Always good to get the juice from an insider, R!

Here, feel free to squash me for going tangential, but the Tropicana product used fresh, imported blood orange juice. In Italy, you can buy the stuff straight in cartons. Israel, too? I have rarely had good blood oranges from California and they're always the burgandy-colored Moro type, lacking in subtlety and often bitter.

But, back on topic, sorry about your bad potato chips. Blue cheese popcorn would be good, too. Someone has already noticed a blue cheese powder is used on current snack food, but never as the dominant flavor. Maybe it's proven too hard to produce a good, ungaggy taste thus far.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Well, the half-pound of Maytag blue cheese I bought at DiBruno's last Saturday all went into the macaroni and cheese I made Tuesday night, and I make my mac and cheese using a cheese sauce based on béchamel, just like the sauce in this recipe.  In fact, if you omit the onion and salt and add a half teaspoon of dry mustard and a half-pound each of shredded sharp Cheddar and shredded aged Asiago--did I tell you I am a cheese junkie?--you'd have my cheese sauce from Tuesday night.

So the answer to your question is "Yes."

Thanks! I made it tonight, without the shredded sharp cheddar, and the aged Asiago, unfortunately (too expensive in Japan!). It was delicious, though I should have cooked my fettucine a wee bit more. I had a tiny bit of leftover sauce, so I had it for dessert with some grapes. Very tasty, indeed!

• 3 months later...

Kettle Chips have come out with a new line of "Happy Hour" flavours which include Buffalo Bleu Cheese. They're available for a very limited time, though you can vote for your favourite. The flavour with the most votes will be manufactured for an entire year.

Just this once, I wish I lived in the US. :sad:

Also included are Dirty Martini, Tuscan Three Cheese, Spicy Mary, and Creamy Caesar.

Thanks, prasantrin, for the heads up on this. I ordered a few packs and I'm really looking forward to their arrival.

=R=

FWIW, I did try the gaufrettes which were linked upthread by Gifted Gourmet.  We had to buy a case of 12 bags.  They arrived to our office a couple of months ago.  11 bags remain unopened. :sad:

:sad: Send me the bill ... not the gaufrettes, just the bill ... apologies and best of luck with the newer products by Kettle Chips!

I should have looked more closely: #1 they are made by Good Health Natural Foods and #2 Aroma: Smells like stale styrofoam, with a hint of cheese ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Those Kettle chips are apparently only available through the website for $9.95 for a five-pack of five different flavors - all new and "limited". In adition UPS ground shipping is $6.95. Fairly pricey, BWTH I ordered them anyway! My curiosity has a tendency to get the best of me. :wacko:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Kettle Chips have come out with a new line of "Happy Hour" flavours which include Buffalo Bleu Cheese.  They're available for a very limited time, though you can vote for your favourite.  The flavour with the most votes will be manufactured for an entire year.

Just this once, I wish I lived in the US.  :sad: 

Also included are Dirty Martini, Tuscan Three Cheese, Spicy Mary, and Creamy Caesar.

Our shipment arrived today and they really are very delicious and notably unique-tasting. Buffalo is unquestionably the lead flavor in the Buffalo Blue Cheese variety, but there is also a distinctive blue cheese note in the finish and aftertaste. These are going to be a great accompaniment at our weekly office happy hour, which will begin as soon as I finish this post. :wink::smile:

As for the other 4 flavors, I especially liked the Spicy Mary variety. They're tomatoey with a nice hint of dill pickle -- very unlike any other flavored chips I've ever had. The Tuscan 3-Cheese are very pungent and nicely flavorful. The Creamy Caesar are nice aroma-wise but not salty enough, IMO. The only ones I didn't like were the Dirty Martini-flavored chips. They tasted somewhat fruity and not in a pleasant way.

Cheers!

=R=

Our shipment arrived today and they really are very delicious and notably unique-tasting.  Buffalo is unquestionably the lead flavor in the Buffalo Blue Cheese variety, but there is also a distinctive blue cheese note in the finish and aftertaste.  These are going to be a great accompaniment at our weekly office happy hour, which will begin as soon as I finish this post. :wink::smile:

Do you have any openings there, Ronnie? I think I'm in the wrong business. :sad:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Do you have any openings there, Ronnie?  I think I'm in the wrong business.  :sad:

That depends . . . how are your sourcing skills? :wink::smile:

=R=

Our shipment arrived today and they really are very delicious and notably unique-tasting.  Buffalo is unquestionably the lead flavor in the Buffalo Blue Cheese variety, but there is also a distinctive blue cheese note in the finish and aftertaste.  These are going to be a great accompaniment at our weekly office happy hour, which will begin as soon as I finish this post. :wink::smile:

:sad: I waaaaaaaaaaant some!!!! Buffalo as in buffalo meat? For some reason, I thought the "buffalo" was a brand, like "Maytag Bleu".

:sad: I waaaaaaaaaaant some!!!! Buffalo as in buffalo meat? For some reason, I thought the "buffalo" was a brand, like "Maytag Bleu".

That would be Buffalo as in buffalo chicken wings. The flavor would be based on the spicy sauce.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

That would be Buffalo as in buffalo chicken wings. The flavor would be based on the spicy sauce.

What he said :smile:

=R=