• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bleu Cheese-flavored potato chips

ronnie_suburban

There are so many crazy, useless and redundant flavors of potato chips out there but one potentially great flavor -- bleu cheese -- seems almost impossible to find, other than the occasional minor brand or "niche" chip.

Why are there almost no bleu cheese-flavored potato chips? It seems like a natural to me. What prevents this product from being rolled out en masse? Is it the (perceived) lack of market, cost or shelf-instability of bleu cheese powder? Is bleu cheese just too "serious" a flavor for the mainstream chip market? Or are the bleu lovers too "serious" a group to waste their time on a flavored potato chip?

We've already wasted a good deal of time discussing this at my office. Help us waste a bit more . . . please share your knowledge (or theories) :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I was at a Sullivan's Steakhouse a couple of weeks ago and had potato chip with melted bleu cheese crumbles from their bar menu. The flavor was good however the cheese was too wet and the chips on the bottom were soggy, but I liked the idea.

I also tried some olive oil and sea salt chips I found at a Super Target that were good and perhaps a slightly more healthy. I think it was their house brand Archer Farms. One of my personal favorites is the mustard flavored chips from Zapps in New Orleans.

Edited by Allen (log)

We just returned from Memorial Day weekend in Charleston, SC ....at Magnolia's, we (hub & I) shared an appetizer of housemade potato chips topped with crumbled bleu cheese---this was not something we'd order back home; it was one of those guilty vacation pleasures. Although the menu stated that this was a 2-person app, it would have easily been enough for 5 or 6. It was really too much of a good thing....but I guess that's a quantity issue. I'd never thought of tater chips and bleu cheese together, but it was a very tasty combination.

CBHall

Ooooh! I've never seen them, but now that I know they're out there, I will definitely keep my eye out for bleu cheese chips.

Maybe they think people won't like it. I know a lot of people who don't like bleu cheese. Crazy people.

Because the top appetizer for many blue cheese enthusiasts is currently homemade potato chips with a melting Maytag blue cheese topping, these would actually be quite a disappointment ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Jack & Ollie's from England makes Gorgonzola and red onion chips that are divine. The Bistro Chips are good, and leave finger residue like Cheetos.

Edited by Lisa1349 (log)

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

fonzie's (available seemingly only in the dodgiest of italian grocery stores)

are a gorgonzola flavoured cheezy. they're not particularly pungent (actually they taste more like fontina to me) but they're delicious.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

I've had the Bleu Cheese Bistro chips and they were just fair. I seem to remember a funky smell but then again they are bleu cheese!

I wonder what would happen if you took regular thick cut chips and sprinkled with bleu cheese that you had patted dry or even let sit out for a bit. Then put them in a moderate oven for a few minutes...hmm sounds like I might need to hit the store this afternoon.

:smile:

Well, I would buy blue cheese potato chips in a heartbeat. I wonder if Tim's Cascade chips of Auburn, WA, reads this website.....

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

Well, I would buy blue cheese potato chips in a heartbeat.  I wonder if Tim's Cascade chips of Auburn, WA, reads this website.....

They must read this! They have to! They should!! I'd snap up a bag of blue cheese chips, too!

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Those puffy cheezies - you know, the ones in the giant orange bag that have the consistency of packing foam - have blue cheese powder as a flavoring...so if blue cheese powder exists, it stands to reason that one could get ahold of some and sprinkle it on a chip, right?

Or, if you are really adventurous...try these!

http://www.taquitos.net/snacks.php?snack_code=490

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Those puffy cheezies - you know, the ones in the giant orange bag that have the consistency of packing foam - have blue cheese powder as a flavoring...so if blue cheese powder exists, it stands to reason that one could get ahold of some and sprinkle it on a chip, right? 

The Spice House in Chicago (and online) sells various cheese powders, including blue cheese. Not sure how sprinkling it on a chip would work.

I admit that while I like most Spice House products, the cheese powders are not my favorite. They taste a little dusty to me. Maybe I just haven't used them in the right recipes. I do like some of the cheese based herb mixes.

When I was in Mexico, the Ruffles con queso had a definite cheesy tang to them . Not quite blue cheese, but far better than any other cheese chip I've had.

I was browsing F&W online and came across this recipe. (commercial chips drizzled with a blue cheese 'sauce')

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Because the top appetizer for many blue cheese enthusiasts is currently homemade potato chips with a melting Maytag blue cheese topping, these would actually be quite a disappointment ...

I haven't yet been able to pull off homemade potato chips. The homemade chips served in my company's office cafeteria are quite good, but they haven't yet offered a blue cheese version.

But what's the trick to cooking your own chips? Mine so far have been too thick and hence too chewy.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I was browsing F&W online and came across this recipe.  (commercial chips drizzled with a blue cheese 'sauce')

FYI: Food & Wine requires you to subscribe to the magazine before giving you online access to its recipes.

Maybe you could share this directly with us?

I was browsing F&W online and came across this recipe.  (commercial chips drizzled with a blue cheese 'sauce')

FYI: Food & Wine requires you to subscribe to the magazine before giving you online access to its recipes.

Maybe you could share this directly with us?

Did you try the link? (I just checked it again and it seems to work). I don't subscribe to the mag; I believe that they have each months recipes up on the web with free access for one month...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Did you try the link?  (I just checked it again and it seems to work).  I don't subscribe to the mag; I believe that they have each months recipes up on the web with free access for one month...

Yes, I did, which was why I posted.

Did you try the link?  (I just checked it again and it seems to work).  I don't subscribe to the mag; I believe that they have each months recipes up on the web with free access for one month...

Doesn't work for me, either. The recipe will show for a second, then will be covered by a form to subscribe. If you're an AOL member or a subscriber to the magazine, you get free access. Otherwise, nothing (according to the website).

Yes, I did, which was why I posted.

I figured you did, but didn't know why it wouldn't work. Prasantrin came up with the solution as I use AOL but didn't realize that this gave me access.

I haven't tried this; it just struck me with this thread going on.

Blje Cheese Potato Chips

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 cups milk

1/2 pound blue cheese such as Maytag Blue, crumbled (2 cups)

Kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

One 6-ounce bag thick-cut potato chips

Cook onions in butter over medium heat until softened, ~ 5-7 min. Stir in flour and cook for an additional min. Then whisk in milk and cook until it thickens a bit over the course of 5 min. Take off heat and stir in blue cheese; add salt and pepper.

Layer half of chips in bowl. Drizzle with sauce. Add rest of chips on top and drizzle again. Serve immediately.

Edited by ludja (log)

We tend to have a bit of a wider and wackier selection in the UK.

I'm sure Kettle Chips (A more expensive 'gourmet' brand, but still fairly mass market) did a roquefort based one, and also a stilton and port flavour as a seasonal special. Neither was much cop as I remember (Not as good as their fine sea salt and black pepper or Salsa with mesquite flavours)

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I'm sure Kettle Chips (A more expensive 'gourmet' brand, but still fairly mass market) did a roquefort based one, and also a stilton and port flavour as a seasonal special.  Neither was much cop as I remember (Not as good as their fine sea salt and black pepper or Salsa with mesquite flavours)

I thought I remembered seeing those at one point myself. But, I couldn't find them at my nearest "gourmet" store and they do seem to be absent from the roster at their web site as well. :sad:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

I'm sure Kettle Chips (A more expensive 'gourmet' brand, but still fairly mass market) did a roquefort based one, and also a stilton and port flavour as a seasonal special.  Neither was much cop as I remember (Not as good as their fine sea salt and black pepper or Salsa with mesquite flavours)

I thought I remembered seeing those at one point myself. But, I couldn't find them at my nearest "gourmet" store and they do seem to be absent from the roster at their web site as well. :sad:

=R=

I think they were a one off - or maybe they bring the stilton ones out at Christmas time?

The UK is going a bit Crisp crazy at the moment - all the crisp manufacturers have come out with 'gourmet' varieties - with varying success (The usual story where they miss the point of better ingredients, careful preparation and go for 'exotic' flavours). Some good ones out there though - Walkers sensations sweet chilli flavour are like potato based crack.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

• 4 months later...

I remember those stilton and port Kettle Chips. Not bad, but not salty or pungent enough. I prefer the s&p and the honey dijon.