• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Royal Thai in Edison

pbrodsky2

Went to Royal Thai in Edison for lunch yesterday. Wanted to see what had happened to Afghan Grill (with the same owners) that used to be next door and was very good.

Afghan Grill seems to have bit the dust, with the space taken over by Royal Thai. We did meet one of the hostesses from Afghan Grill though, who assured us that some items from the Afghan menu are still served. We intend to try out dinner there soon.

In the meantime, lunch at the Royal Thai consists of a very nice Thai buffet.

Has anyone been to Royal Thai since they "merged", and what about other Afghan restaurants in the area?

Rosie Posted on May 24 2002,11:03:

"After 9/11 business died and they changed the name."

I read that, after Sept. 11th, they changed the name from Afghan Grill to Frontier.  At that point, I think they were still sticking with Afghani cuisine.  But, based on what you are saying here, I guess it didn't work.  Too bad.  I happen to have a Star-Ledger review from 5/01 when it was still AG in my restaurant reviews file.  Food sounded great, and I had it on my "to go to" list.  Obviously, too late now.      

pbrodsky Posted on May 24 2002,09:00:

"...what about other Afghan restaurants in the area?"

The only other Afghan restaurant in NJ that I am aware of is Pamir, in Morristown, which is related to the two Pamirs in NYC, one in the E. 70's and the other in the E. 50's.   I have eaten in the Morristown location and in the E. 70's, though not recently.  I found the food in both places to be quite tasty.

We returned to Royal Thai for dinner last night. The good news is that the menu is large and quality of the food is very high. The bad news is that they only have one main course left that resembles the Afghan Grill menu -- a grilled lamb chop dish.

We ended up with the grilled lamb chops, a duck and mango dish, and curry fried rice with shrimp. All were very good.

Still, I miss the Afghan Grill which specialized in highly-flavored grilled meat dishes.