• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Local markets

I've got a special interest in farmer's markets, as my husband worked for a farmer for a few years and is now a manager at one of them here in NYC. I've always thought it would be a great weekly column to highlight local and seasonal items, perhaps titled, 'What to cook now'. Each column would report on what's currently fresh, and include a profile of a grower, or a recipe from a farmer's market-friendly chef. Do you think your readers support their local farmer's markets already, and/ or could you see this column as really serving the public good by helping consumers connect with suppliers?  

Many thanks,

Liza

• 2 weeks later...

Every May we run a complete list of farmers’ markets in the area, more than 90. (It’s on our website.) And 5 weeks out of 6, we run a feature called Market Watch: This week’s look at what’s new, bountiful or mysterious in the produce aisles. We often run a recipe. In the winter, we’ll go for unusual vegetables, fruits or  herbs. This time of year, we just look at what’s plentiful .  It’s another good, regular feature, that’s often appropriate for vegetarians or vegans, as well as everybody else.