• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canada Day

Ed Hamilton

June 30th to July 3rd, I'll be joining the National Yacht Club in Toronto for the C&C sailing rendezvous and regatta. There will be rum, food, a jump up Saturday night and fun. If you're in Toronto come say hello and enjoy a little of my favorite drink.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 9 years later...

I'm a bit late for Canada Day but I'm celebrating with a Toronto 4:1:1 using cane syrup instead of simple.  Yeah even I would probably dial back the sweet a bit.  This is one that really needs the lemon twist.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I'm a bit late for Canada Day but I'm celebrating with a Toronto 4:1:1 using cane syrup instead of simple.  Yeah even I would probably dial back the sweet a bit.  This is one that really needs the lemon twist.

Tell us more about a Toronto 4:1:1

I think he means a Toronto cocktail at a ratio of four parts rye / one part Fernet Branca / one part cane syrup.

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

Kerry,

I am sure you have access to plenty of interesting Canadian rye whiskies, so of course that would be your first choice.

For those of us who don't, a good assertive American rye whiskey works great. Anything too gentle will get buried under the Fernet.

I think American rye is the proper spirit for this one historically and taste-wise.  I am not anti Canadian rye but I can't see it standing up to the Fernet. I used nearly the last of my precious Rittenhouse.

Rafa is correct in his clarification of what I made.  This was the ratio listed in Kindred Cocktails although there is plenty of discussion about it. I used Jerry Thomas Decanter Bitters.  I think the Fernet was about right for me.  It's there but this is a rye drink with Fernet Branca, not the other way around.

And on a happy side note, I made two but correctly guessed that my DB would like but not finish hers so I poured about 1 1/2 drinks worth for myself.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

I've never really understood recipes that call for aromatic bitters as well as Fernet; the Fernet tends to clobber even Angostura.

I do, however, make my Toronto cocktails with Canadian whisky. I've had very successful versions with Alberta Premium Dark Horse, Forty Creek Barrel Select and Alberta Springs. (And will be trying with Lot No. 40 in the near future.) That said, you do need to dial the Fernet way back; I tend to go with something along the lines of 1.5 oz (sometimes 2 oz.) whisky, 1/4 oz. Fernet, 1/4 oz. 1:1 simple syrup. That kind of ratio gives voice to the Fernet while still allowing the whisky to shine. As a side benefit, it helps you stretch your bottle of Fernet further.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Does Whistlepig count as Canadian whisky?

Doesn't look like it - looks like Whistlepig is 'real rye'.  But it does appear that it could be used in a Toronto cocktail.

I think tonight we shall try a Toronto with the Rittenhouse we have up here with us - over here on the Manitoulin Test Kitchen thread for those who haven't found us yet.

Are any Canadian ryes as assertive as the typical American rye? I'm ignorant.

The last Canadian I had was the blended Royal Crown Reserve, which someone pulled out of their trunk when the seaside crab shack we were eating at announced that they didn't have beer (gasp!). I was unimpressed, but it made me wonder about premium straight Canadian rye.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

I'm going to let others answer that - they only Canadian Whiskey I've developed a taste for is the Forty Creek John's Private Cask - and that was a single run so no longer available.  It's smooth as silk and assertive is not how I would label it.  I did pick up a bottle of the Forty Creek Copper Pot but haven't broken in to it yet.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Well, first of all, there's a nomenclature issue here: in Canada "rye" is the generic term for Canadian whisky, and some Canadian rye (including Crown Royal) contains no rye at all in the mash bill. (For more on the historical reasons for this, check out Davin's book Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert). There is no such thing under Canadian law as "straight" whisky; that's a term from American distilling.

That said, the law in Canada is pretty restrictive on what can be labelled Canadian whisky. In particular, there's a provision that it has to "possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky," which I believe limits what Canadian distillers can do in terms of assertiveness. It's sort of like asking if there are any Puerto Rican rums that are as assertive as Jamaican rum.

Tl;dr: no, in my experience there are no Canadian ryes that are as assertive as American ryes.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Well, first of all, there's a nomenclature issue here: in Canada "rye" is the generic term for Canadian whisky, and some Canadian rye (including Crown Royal) contains no rye at all in the mash bill. (For more on the historical reasons for this, check out Davin's book Canadian Whisky: The Portable Expert). There is no such thing under Canadian law as "straight" whisky; that's a term from American distilling.

That said, the law in Canada is pretty restrictive on what can be labelled Canadian whisky. In particular, there's a provision that it has to "possess the aroma, taste and character generally attributed to Canadian whisky," which I believe limits what Canadian distillers can do in terms of assertiveness. It's sort of like asking if there are any Puerto Rican rums that are as assertive as Jamaican rum.

Tl;dr: no, in my experience there are no Canadian ryes that are as assertive as American ryes.

There are however a number of American style ryes that are made in Canada. WhistlePig is perhaps the best known example of that. Early Jefferson Rye and the current Masterson's rye all reportedly came from the same source, Alberta Distillers Limited. It happened to be owned by Beam which of course is now owned by Suntory under the new name "Beam Suntory".

ADL certainly puts out other whiskey using its 100% straight rye whiskey as the base. I think Alberta Premium Dark Horse whiskey is mostly an American Style rye with some corn whiskey added that is mostly available only in Canada. The addition of corn whiskey blended into it is what gets it labeled as Canadian whiskey rather than a straight rye. If it didn't have that it could probably be called a straight rye whiskey under US rules.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

I though Whistlepig was made in Vermont?

Yes, WhistlePig would love for you to believe their little lie! But nothing is distilled in Vermont and never has been. It is presumably bottled there and there may be some whiskey aging out in the barn but all the whiskey they bottle comes from Alberta Distillers at least at present.

They claim they will eventually distill there but so far they have made no significant progress on building a distillery to my knowledge and then it would take them another 10 years to have an equivalently aged product to the current WhistlePig.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Yes, WhistlePig would love for you to believe their little lie! But nothing is distilled in Vermont and never has been. It is presumably bottled there and there may be some whiskey aging out in the barn but all the whiskey they bottle comes from Alberta Distillers at least at present.

They claim they will eventually distill there but so far they have made no significant progress on building a distillery to my knowledge and then it would take them another 10 years to have an equivalently aged product to the current WhistlePig.

And yet we can't buy it in Canada!

But Kerry, you don't have to travel far!

I believe Whistlepig is the strangest spirit I have tasted.  Initially it was bitter and vile, but given some time it mutated into something quite lovely.  I still don't understand how this could happen.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I tasted Ardbeg in Scotland - the most vile mouthful of iodine I could ever imagine.  Then a strange thing happened - the iodine morphed into this rich sweet sherry like flavour that remained on my tongue for the longest time.