• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bergen Record Restaurant Reviews

dodge621

I'm  a ex advertising sales rep from the Bergen Record.

Restaurants used to  beg me to get them reviewed..... I would have to tell them, that advertising and editorial are totally separate entitys, like the church and state.

I would not want them to be reviewed, just in case, it did not turn out well..( The binghampton has been getting bad reviews for years -Nelson Gross would always be screaming at us about them but he still advertised.

HERE WE GO AGAIN

The Record reviewed Mona Lisa Cafe today.  I used to live in Bogota and I can tell you that this place is primarily a PIZZA PLACE.  It has 6 tables and is only really busy with say 20 people on a weekend night most eating PIZZA, which the article fails to even mention.    

Here is a quote from the Record's review

"She is pleased that the restaurant has attracted a following with its expanded and upgraded menu and likes to accommodate her loyal patrons. But let me emphasize that this is a small masterpiece: Inside, there are just six tables for four. A dozen more are set up outdoors in good weather, if you don't mind the exhaust from passing buses or the people loitering outside the nearby laundermat."

a following, a place with 6 tables for 9 months in the year has a following.  - (A small group of regulars ok, but a follwing?

- I used to go to this place a lot and enjoyed their pizza which they specialize in, but to reveiw it and not even mention PIZZA??

a following, a place with 6 tables for 9 months in the year has a following.  - (A small group of regulars ok, but a follwing?

i don't understand.  are you offended by the word choice?  many places with 24 or less seats could be considered to have a "following".  places without any seats could be considered to have a "following" if it's the case.  

i wouldn't draw any lines in the sand about when you can use that turn of phrase in relation to the number of covers a restaurant can handle.

[she is pleased that the restaurant has attracted a following with its expanded and upgraded menu and likes to accommodate her loyal patrons.]

- According to the Record they go there twice. So how is the Record qualified to say the place a following.  

As a  recent former resident of Bogota (just moved out less than 6 months ago), I can tell you that the primary business this place does is PIZZA, which the paper fails to even mention.  I did enjoy their pizza and did find the owners friendly.

On the weekends they have a few specials which are good but extremely limited.  

They do very little volume in terms of people eating dinner.

- According to the Record they go there twice. So how is the Record qualified to say the place a following.  

i know this is the obvious question, but i'm moved to ask it:

how many times would you suggest a reviewer return to a restaurant before he or she is "qualified" to determine if the place has a "following".

this should be interesting.

[how many times would you suggest a reviewer return to a restaurant before he or she is "qualified" to determine if the place has a "following".]

Rather, I would like you to answer your OWN question.

Dodge--It is not unusual for a reviewer to do a follow up phone call with the owner/chef where they learn additional information about the restaurant. They may also ask colleagues about information about a restaurant.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie - I have no idea what you are referring to.  Which RESTAURANT are you referring to?[it is not unusual for a reviewer to do a follow up phone call with the owner/chef where they learn additional information about the restaurant.]

- Mona Lisa is a PIZZA PLACE with a few specials.  

DO YOU HAVE A CLUE? or do you just comment

I have been to this place more than a dozen times.  If you want to put in your two cents go ahead but why don't you visit it first.

it's clear, to me at least, that rosie and my comments had little do with that particular restaurant.  no need for me to visit to make my comment, or ask my question.  the same goes for rosie's comment as far as i can tell.  she has been a reviewer for quite some time, and i'd say she knows a bit about reviewing restaurants.  do you have experience reviewing and writing about restaurants?

it might come as no surprise that i have no idea if dodge's last post was sarcastic or not.

He must have been serious because we all know what a solid contribution you make here. :biggrin: And everyone knows I don't pull my punches.

[He must have been serious because we all know what a solid contribution you make here.]

is he a MANAGING EDITOR or OFFICIAL OF CONTENT on this site.  I ask as no joke but I see his posts on every board I read