• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[MN] Where to buy casings for sausage making?

I purchased the food grinder that attaches to my KitchenAid. I am looking forward to making some sausages. Although my knowledge is limited, I have some books with recipes. I do know that I need casings :smile:

Any sources of casings in the Twin Cities? I believe they could be both natural and synthetic. At this point, either option would be good to start with.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Alex

I love to live vicariously through others

No kidding! I'm going there (Kramarczuks) in a few weeks and pick up a supply of polich, brats, and anything else I can fit in my carryon bag. Anoher good try might be Ingebretsen's Scandinavian Center and Market on East Lake and 12th or 13th..its'a block from Bloomington Avenue. Wonderful butchers and shop.

Alex, have you tried online. Bet there are any # of online sellers of sausage making supplies. I'm willing to bet that a small town butcher shop would have some for sale.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Thanks for the ideas

Here's the first hit off of google for "sausage making supplies".

sausage making supplies

Thanks for the link. Prior to posting, I did a quick search online and found some useful links. Nonetheless, I was trying to see if casings will be easy to find in a local store. The convenience of shopping online cannot be beat so I might just go that route. There are some companies in MN (outside the metro area) that sell online, targeted among others to hunters.

prasantrin Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

From Kramarczuk's? They might sell you some...and if not, you could pick up a few links of Andouille and some Polish, grill them up, and take some pictures for me. I love to live vicariously through others 

Prasantrin, you have just mentioned the best two sausages (retail) in the Twin Cities in my opinion. They are a must on my fishing trips.

Alex

I have heard you can get casings at Everett's in Minneapolis, 38th St. E. near Cedar Ave., 612-729-6626. Ready Meats on Johnson St. NE would be another good place to try, 612-789-2484.

Keep us updated on how it goes Alex. A very good friend of mine is a hog farmer, and keeps begging me to help him butcher one of his feeders, instead of "taking it to the town butcher" to be processed. One of the tasks would be grinding, seasoning, and making sausage from the less desirable cuts. This doesn't worry me, it's the big job...the gutting and skinning. And it's one of those things, once you start(the .22 bullet to the brain), you are committed...no turning back.

A island in a lake, on a island in a lake, is where my house would be if I won the lottery.

Well, even when there were some good suggestions regarding butcher shops in the Twin Cities, I have just ordered some Natural Hog Casings online from this place:

The Sausage Source

I will keep you posted on my experiments, we have just got a digital camera so hopefully some pictures will follow as well.

Keep us updated on how it goes Alex.  A very good friend of mine is a hog farmer, and keeps begging me to help him butcher one of his feeders, instead of "taking it to the town butcher" to be processed.  One of the tasks would be grinding, seasoning, and making sausage from the less desirable cuts.  This doesn't worry me, it's the big job...the gutting and skinning.  And it's one of those things, once you start(the .22 bullet to the brain), you are committed...no turning back.

WolfChef, I think you are located in MN... If you need a volunteer to help you and your friend with the hog, I will be more than happy! That would be an interesting way to spend a Saturday in the fall.

Alex

Prasantrin, you have just mentioned the best two sausages (retail) in the Twin Cities in my opinion. They are a must on my fishing trips.

Alex

They're definitely my favourites! I was suspicious of the Andouille, but I really like it. That little touch of heat is perfect! Whenwever we go to MSP, Kramarczuk's is one of 5 places on our must-go-to-list. I sneak some links back to Canada with me--haven't been caught, yet!

AlexP If and when we do it, you can definatly come as my guest. It's a big if though. We've been talking about this for 4 years now. Part of the problem is the local small town butcher is quite good, and reasonable in price. That and the lack of certain key equipment. His current batch of feeders are off to the market in a couple weeks...minus two for his and friends like myself's personal use. I'm getting a half a hog, which usually lasts almost till the next batch is market sized. It's hard not to eat the pork that Peter raises. The sausage we have made is without casings. Basically just ground pork, salt, pepper and sugar. Lean enough you add a little oil to the pan to get started, then usually we fry patties of it and eat it like hamburgers. Of course Pete picks the best hogs for his and our use.

Not sure if I already post this next bit but here goes.

I just asked Pete how he picks new sows from the "feeder pool" to replace any that have passed their prime. His response: "The cute ones." The boars are usually purchased from another farmer. Pete raises chester whites now, and is very careful with the genetics. Corn fed, none of that hormone crap or unneccesary antibiotics and plenty of room and treats(watermelon and such). Sometimes they even "free range" it when they get out. They never stray are are quite easily shooed back to the pens.

Nice... Lucky you for getting a half hog from a good farmer and friend.

Pigs have to be the most beautiful animals in the World...

Alex

Boy with that last comment I had to call Pete and ask him if he has a long lost twin brother. That's one right out of his book.