• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Pastries in New York

De Robertis Pasticceria

First Avenue between 10th and 11th Streets!

This place often gets overlooked but it is really special.

Very good Italian pastries in a setting that is right out of the Godfather (part one).

It has been around seemingly forever.

Marble top tables, tin ceiling etc

Real New York turn of the century flavor.

Atmosphere is similar to that of Veniero's (East 11th Street between first and second aves) just down the street but DeRobertis is less crowded less touristy and the staff is less harried. Actually you can try both!

I'll second payard, petrossian. Fauchon is ok. If you're on upper east then definetly try out cafe sabarsky. In the village try bruno bakery-though the quality there is very variable. Have some bread/pizza or pastry at Sullivan st bakery. Stop into the bakery at balthazar. And Check out the new bouley bakery for some excellent caneles and other pastries. Oh and try Jacques Torres chocolate haven, he's got some good cookies, chocolate croissants, etc.

Mike

The Dairy Show

Special Edition 3-In The Kitchen at Momofuku Milk Bar

Payard - the last time I was there was mid-april and it's still the best. I actually gave up my birthday cake in favor of the small pastries - they're all little tastes of heaven.

If I may add to the list, Ceci-Cela on Spring St. at Lafayette and if you're willing to trek to Queens, there's this european pastry shop that I've been forever raving about - Nita's bakery - 40-10 Greenpoint Ave. in Sunnyside. A short 10 minutes ride on the 7 train from midtown to the 40th st. stop and walk 1 block south.

Edited to add pictures from Nita's - this way you might decide if it's worth the trek.

One of the 4 display cases

gallery_8322_465_57259.jpg

and the so called "cataif" maybe because of the cataifi shreds.

gallery_8322_465_78702.jpg

Edited by Mistinguett (log)
The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

De Robertis Pasticceria

First Avenue between 10th and 11th Streets!

Atmosphere is similar to that of Veniero's (East 11th Street between first and second aves)

Both of these places are better than what you'll find on Mulberry Street these days.

Jacques Torres' cafe Almondine on Water St. in Brooklyn is worth the trip.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Hey everybody,

I will be staying in Manhattan for the next month on a work assignment. I would like to hit up as many bakeries/patisseries as possible while I am there. However, I don't want to waste my time or money on places that just aren't that remarkable. I’m living around 90th Street…so any place I can get to on foot or by subway.[...]

If you like cheesecake, have a look at this thread:

THE BEST: NY Cheesecake

If you're on East 90th, the Manhattan branch of Two Little Red Hens will be within walking distance.

If you like Greek pastries, check out Poseidon Bakery; it's fabulous!

Michael aka "Pan"

There's also Financier Patisserie, at 62 Stone Street, downtown.

Are you interested in Breads? (Sullivan Street Bakery, 73 Sullivan St.) Chocolates? (Kee's Chocolates, 70 Thompson St.)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Make sure you go to Grand Central Station. They have all kinds of gourmet foods , plus an awesome bakery section (right in front). I beleive its on Park Avenue, or the one east of Park, Madison??

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Lexington is one block east of Park; Madison is one block west of Park.

Does anyone know what bakery chiantiglace could be thinking of?

Michael aka "Pan"

Lexington is one block east of Park; Madison is one block west of Park.

Does anyone know what bakery chiantiglace could be thinking of?

Bread is a different world, not talking about that in this post.

Probably Coronodo Pastery (not spelled quite right) at Grand Central Market is what they are thinking of. They have some pretty good stuff, but they are a consolidator (meaning they sell things made by other people), not a bakery. Not sure they are that special.

Financier Patisserie is better than most places, but a little out of the way for most people.

Petrossian, although not thought of as a bakery, is quite good for that sort of thing, and has a significant wholesale business to better places. Might be best crossisant in NYC.

The newest incarnation of Bouley Bakery (I have not yet been there) is a good bet as a place worth a trip.

The Upper West Side has Silver Moon and Georgia's Bakeshop (related ownership), both of which are pretty good, but not worth a long trip.

Upper East Side has Two Little Red Hens, which is worth a trip if you like things like blackout cake.

Lady M on the upper east side is very good and different from the usual. Lots of heavy whipped cream with fruit type things.

In my opinion, none of the Italian style places in Manhattan are noteable except for bread type items at places like Sullivan Sttreet.

Payard is OK.

Ceci-Cela is OK.

Amy's bread makes some pretty good other things in the sweets catagory. Better cake I think than say Magnolia Bakery.

Donut Plant for great donuts, but out of the way location.

Little Pie Company makes some pretty good pies.

People have strong preferences as to their favorite bakeries....

Edited by Todd36 (log)

Thomas Keller's opening a bakery in New York?

The new Bouley Bakery is definitely worth a visit.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

For a change of pace, you might check out some Asian bakeries. Cafe Zaya on 41st, between 5th and Madison, has an interesting Japanese chiffon style cheese cake, greet tea cake, tiramisu cake, as well as Papa Beards Cream Puffs.

Also, check out Taipan Bakery on Canal Street. Interesting variation on Napoleon.

For Mexican Pandulce, try Leon Bakery 695 9th Avenue (47th and 48th streets) 212-489-6677.

I like cafe Bruno @ Lafayette just south of Bleeker for Italian pastery, particualrly the fruit tarts.

Another interesting place, Chikalicious, is at 203 East Tenth. This is a dessert bar run by a Japanese dessert chef, Chika, who was trained in Paris. I highly recommend the Fromage Blanc. You will ge a three course dessert meal (mind you , this is not a meal in itself). The coffee, particularly the iced coffee (with espresso ice cubes), is excellent.

For the best Pecan Pies, made to order, contact Elysean Foods in advance at elysehf@hotmail.com. She is an independent baker on the upper west side who bakes the best Pecan Pie in the City, hands down.

Website or store?

For the best Pecan Pies, made to order, contact Elysean Foods in advance at elysehf@hotmail.com. She is an independent baker on the upper west side who bakes the best Pecan Pie in the City, hands down.

Website or store?

Neither. This an individual who bakes out of her apartment. The pies are so good she went into business. Her name is Elyse and, if I am not mistaken, is a fellow egulleter.

Ahh yes i have seen her online.. She is in charge of the burger club.. I would love a list of potential pies as well as how far i would have to go for them.. I remember someone selling them on the street on the upper west side on this board.. I think it might have been her..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Website or store?

Neither. This an individual who bakes out of her apartment. The pies are so good she went into business. Her name is Elyse and, if I am not mistaken, is a fellow egulleter.

I got to have one of her pies once, and I would agree that they are indeed among the best pecan pies I've tasted.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Not to forget Patisserie Claude in the village although good frenchman that he is he closes one full month in the summer (July I think). Must tries in my opinion are Cafe Sabarsky and Petrossian, maybe Payard for the experience.

"A chicken is just an egg's way of making another egg." Samuel Butler

For Austrian/Viennese style pastries and cakes make sure to stop by Cafe Sabarsky in the Neue Gallerie ((Upper East Side) 1048 Fifth Ave. at 86th St. 212-288-0665).  The cafe also has a beautifully authentic atmosphere that will transport you to Vienna.  The last time I was there I had an excellent chestnut, whipped cream and meringue torte.

edited to add link to menu

Oh, my, Cafe Sabarsky a few weeks ago was fantastic!

Also, for simple Bagels, there's nothing like NY! It doesn't have to be fancy French pastries.

Living in Philly----I have to say, there's nothing like NYC bagels! With butter! I'm sure people can recommend the best. My favorite because of location when I come in via Penn Station, is a block or two south of Penn Station on 7th. Can't remember the name. Bagels something....

Philly Francophiles

Patisserre Claude is an interesting place in the village, but not worth a big trip.

Cafe Sabarsky is worth a trip, and an interesting room to eat in as well.

Chikalicious is very good, but its not really a bakery (neither is Cafe Sabarsky I guess).

If you want Japanese desserts, Cha An at 230 east 9th is a good bet, its a cafe, not a bakery. Cafe Zaya is fine for what it is, which is basically one step up from a good supermarket bakery, its interesting culturally but not fine pastry. Same for Panya Bakery on east 9th (both are Japanese).

Chinatown is a whole world of bakeries onto itself, someone should give some suggestions.

I haven't tried Williams Greenburg, Jr. in a long time, but they've been sold several times and have not been in their prime for more than 10 years.

You have to watch for freshness, but the bakery counter at Dean & Delucca (the real ones, not the cafes), have been known to have some good stuff.

We should talk about some Arab bakeries. I've enjoyed this place:

Damascus Bread & Pastry Shop Limited

195 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11201

(718) 625-7070

(Address and telephone number courtesy of www.superpages.com)

Michael aka "Pan"