• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Unnatural Attachment?

Jeanne said in her bio:

And no I don't have a great kitchen. I have a lousy electric stove and a 22-year-old toaster oven.

As someone who recently lost her 25-year-old toaster oven, I understand the conflict you feel when it comes to replacing long loved and well known equipment. Mine finally had to go when it didn't turn itself off after toasting some bread in the morning and when I came home several hours later that corner of the kitchen was pretty hot. I was amazed it hadn't started a fire.

Have you thought about replacing it? Have you started to notice it malfunctioning? Please don't wait too long, it may not be a great kitchen, but you don't want it burned down.

Oh, an actual question... hmm... Do you think having an emotional attachment to pieces of kitchen equipment is common? normal? worthy of a support group?

• 2 weeks later...

Oh I don’t have any conflict about replacing it. If that baby breaks, it’s out the door.   And I don’t have any attachment to it. I just noted that it’s there, sort of as a way of saying that I don’t have a lot fancy stuff, don’t need it to cook really.

The things I like most in my kitchen are an OXO potato ricer (about $20) and one fancy thing, my National rice cooker (about $200), which I can program so that rice is ready about 20 minutes after I walk in the door.