• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Migas in Austin

NewYorkTexan

Dammit, Jaymes....trust you to be able to figure out how to put the squiggle on the "n"! I'm still searching for that at the top of my screen!!!!!

Swamped by houseguests, including a 1-year -old....pray for me....

Miss F52 - hold down your "alt" key. Now, while holding it down, on your number keypad on the right hand side, press the 1,6,4, in that order. Now release.

Voila... an eñye.

:smile:

¡¿ñÑéáíóú!

(Sorry - just showing off :biggrin: )

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 3 weeks later...

Back among the living, yips and hollers to the horizon! We have a beautiful new baby boy mebane :smile: which leads me to the question: If after starving yourself for over 12 hrs pre- surgery and 24 hrs post-op, what is the first meal you want smuggled into the hospital?

For me it was sashimi takeout from Chinatown......

Back among the living, yips and hollers to the horizon!  We have a beautiful new baby boy mebane :smile: which leads me to the question:  If after starving yourself for over 12 hrs pre- surgery and 24 hrs post-op, what is the first meal you want smuggled into the hospital? 

For me it was sashimi takeout from Chinatown......

Hey... Congratulations!!!

What I had smuggled in was, unfortunately, a box of Godiva chocolates.

That was when I gave birth to my first son and I was breastfeeding him in the hospital.

About the third day, my baby had a terrible rash of some kind. I was horrified and rang for the nurse. "What could it be?" I said, expecting the worst.

"Well," she said..."it looks to me like a chocolate rash. Have you been eating chocolate?"

:unsure: "Who.....ME?"

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Don't forget to try Curra's on Burnet between 2222 and 183.  They're vegetarian chorizo migas are great as is the Oaxachan (sp?) coffee!

:blink::blink: vegetarian-chorizo-migas???? :blink::blink:

peppers = vegetables

onions = vegetables

tortilla strips = vegetables

eggs = not vegetables

chorizo = not vegetables.

That makes absolutely no sense to me, is it honestly just a plate of peppers and onions?

I'm no vegetarian, so I don't know if turkey would be okay, but it's possible, isn't it, that there's some sort of vegetarian chorizo? Like maybe turkey, or soy, or tofu or something?

Because obviously, regular chorizo (animal flesh stuffed into innards) is verboten for the veggie crowd.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

Vegetarian chorizo at Central Market

As you just said in the preceeding post. Which clearly I didn't read well enough. :wacko:

I'm kinda late to this thread. Migas cause quite a stir. 2 days and 3 pages long.

My favorites were always at Mi Madres on Manor Rd. between the highway and Airport. I'm happy to say I'll be back in Austin on March 30th for 2 weeks and Mi Madres is at the top of list.

Rodney

This thread makes me want to leave my desk and head for Tamale House #3 on Airport Blvd. Their migas are (like everything else they do) wonderful. Cheesy with crispy tortillas, lots of serranos & tomatoes - mmmmmmm. Try their carne guisida tacos with guacamole & potatoes too. Then there is the price, their appeal doubles. One order of migas feeds 2. The one drawback with Tamale House #3 - no coffee. But since it is so inexpensive you can afford to get yourself coffee harvested by hand from the tops of active volcanoes by virgins.

• 1 month later...

As someone who travels almost weekly, it takes a lot to surprise me when going through the Austin Bergstrom airport.

This morning I noticed a waterloo café between Harlon BBQ and Auntie Anne's Pretzels, on the east side of terminal, across from gate 7(?). The counter is tiny, about 6 feet across. I think it used to be the Armadillo café?

With time to waste before my flight, I checked out the menu. There was a nice selection of breakfast tacos, pancakes, omlettes and migas. So of course I go for the migas.

It was a good deal, $5.75 for migas plate with a choice of sausage or ham. The migas were very good, lots of cheese, hot jalapeños, tomatoes and onions. The plate came with 2 juicy sausage patties, good refried beans and 2 hot flour tortillas.

It was a nice way to start the morning, unless you were sitting next to me on the flight...

The place on Ben White between Banister and South First St that Foodie 52's SO mentioned the other night is called Taqueria la Tapatia. But now I can't remember if he said they had great migas or great tacos al pastor!