• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Cafés

Felice

I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered. I did a search and didn't seem to find anything.

A friend from Philadelphia was just visiting me in Paris and is now having café withdraw back home in Philadelphia. I told him about La Colombe, but was wondering if there are any others that have opened since I have left (almost 4 years ago).

Does Anthony's still exist in the Italian market?

I used to like Old City Coffee in the reading terminal, but it's not really a café. He definitely wants the full café experience and not just coffee to go.

Many thanks!

Edited by Felice (log)

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I'm sorry if this topic has already been covered, I've done a search and didn't seem to find anything.

A friend from Philadelphia was just visiting me in Paris and now is have café withdraw in Philadelphia.  I told him about La Colombe, but was wondering if there are others since I have left (almost 4 years ago). 

Does Anthony's still exist in the Italian market? 

I used to like Old City Coffee in the reading terminal, but it's not really a café.  He definitely wants the full café experience and not just coffee to go.

Many thanks!

La Colombe - 19th just between walnut and sansom. Coffee and pastry items and a few sandwiches. No meal service. Very European feel and the best coffee in the city (IMHO of course). There is one in Manayunk too.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Anthony's Coffee House is still going strong in the Italian Market.

Some other places near me your Parisian friend might want to try:

--The Last Drop Coffeehouse, 13th and Pine streets. Very boho; clientele heavy on the UArts crowd (natch; the school is one block west).

--Millennium Coffee, 216 South 12th St. Great place to people-watch, especially if you're a gay male (as the bulk of the customers are). You may see me there on occasion, as it's directly opposite the entrance to my apartment building.

--The Mean Bean Cafe, 1112 Locust St. Good for communing with nature, as most of the cafe's seating is on a covered outdoor terrace surrounded by a community garden. Dog owners like this place, as the owners set out water bowls by the front door. They serve La Colombe coffee.

The following place is not a cafe, but may evoke some memories of home for your friend:

--Caribou Cafe, 1126 Walnut St. A moderately-priced French bistro with simple, honest food and a good selection of beers and wines. Has outdoor seating.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I second some of the other posts, especially Last Drop and Caribou Cafe.

I would add my current favorite espresso bar, Hausbrandt Cafe, 207 S. 15th St, near Locust Street. Although it's more like an Italian cafe than a Parisian one, IMHO the best espresso in the city. I've been to France and Italy a few times and it's the closest I've ever tasted. Since it has free wi-fi, a lot of people with laptops will be in the cafe. Just look past that and enjoy the espresso.

Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions.

I forgot about the Last Drop.

I will tell my friend, who incidently isn't French at all and lives in Philadelphia. He was just visiting. It was his first trip and he loved the cafes and was wondering if there were any European-style cafes back home.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I will tell my friend, who incidently isn't French at all and lives in Philadelphia.

Reread your initial post.

Please forgive my dyslexia.

Glad to be of service anyway. :smile:

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Wanted to add my personal favorite to this list. The Metropolitan Bakery branch on 3rd St just off Market is a wonderful cafe. Has a very European look and feel to it. The walls are adorned with work from local artists from Old City, changes monthly. And aside from their wonderful French-style breads, they have salads sandwiches, pastries, and terrific coffee. It's about the closest cafe in Philadelphia to Paris. GREAT PLACE!!

Metropolitan Bakery & Cafe

15 S 3rd St

Ph. 215.627.6274

Edited by menton1 (log)