• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

The Last Market

Today was the final Nat Bailey Market before the winter weekend market at Heritage Hall. The venders were all so relieved it was a breezy sunny day. This allows them to dry out their tents before they pack them up for winter storage. It's also better for sales, I'm sure.

I bought some cute Halloween cookies from Carole's Country kitchen and a jar of her apple jelly with whole walnuts and chunks of dried apple suspended in amber. She says she should charge more for it, since it takes her two days to make. She warned me not to keep it in the fridge because it gets too difficult to spread. I can't wait to try it on scones hot out of the oven.

I bought some Bleu Claire cheese from Little Qualicum that used to be called Light Blue, but isn't blue in color, thus the new moniker. I've been eating this slightly pungent cheese for breakfast with apples and dried figs. It will be in stores soon. This cheese might even be good paired with the apple jelly...hmmm.

Bad Girl's Truffle of the Week was Scotch-flavoured. Whew! You could really taste the alcohol. It reminded me of those liqueur-filled chocolates you can buy at Christmas time shaped like little whiskey bottles. Only here the chocolate is so much better--rich, dark and wine-flavored. The Stout truffles remain my all time favorite.

The knife-sharpening dude was wearing a Halloween costume that added a surreal and gothic element to the market. He wore a rubber witch's mask and a black furry coat. Yikes! I gave him a wide berth.

Note that Chris from Arise and Bad Girl chocolates will only be at the Saturday of the December market. We'll see you in the lineup!

Au revoir, Nat Bailey.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive me if this post is out of line; apparently Milan of Stoney Paradise Tomatoes/Grapes is hosting a function very soon for his friends/customers. I'll PM the info to anyone who might be interested, he lost his phone list. :smile:

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

The Last Nat Bailey Market

I bought some cute Halloween cookies from Carole's Country kitchen and a jar of her apple jelly with whole walnuts and chunks of dried apple suspended in amber. She says she should charge more for it, since it takes her two days to make. She warned me not to keep it in the fridge because it gets too difficult to spread. I can't wait to try it on scones hot out of the oven.

I just wanted to say that Carole's Apple Jam was very good with a dark, rich lamb curry I made with Guinness Stout. Just a touch of the jam with some raita and green salsa made the meal. Basically, it acted like an apple chutney.

I made "quince curd" with the quince I bought at the Westend Market. Whoa! It is a strange fruit.

You can read about my experiment in the pastry thread.

Zuke

--Mae West

Is there a Salt Spring Island Farmer's market event happening in Vancouver some time in the near future? I could swear I read something somewhere about it but for the life of me, I can't remember the details or whether I just dreamed the whole thing up.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

Is there a Salt Spring Island Farmer's market event happening in Vancouver some time in the near future?  I could swear I read something somewhere about it but for the life of me, I can't remember the details or whether I just dreamed the whole thing up.

Unfortunately, you have missed it. It was November 9 & 10 at The Landing in Gastown.

A.

Is there a Salt Spring Island Farmer's market event happening in Vancouver some time in the near future?  I could swear I read something somewhere about it but for the life of me, I can't remember the details or whether I just dreamed the whole thing up.

Unfortunately, you have missed it. It was November 9 & 10 at The Landing in Gastown.

A.

I work very close to The Landing and I stopped in for a very brief moment...I observed 2 cheese vendors (Moonstruck and Salt Spring Island Cheese Co.) and purchased a dark chocolate bar from another vendor.I believe there was a bread vendor as well, could be mistaken.

• 5 months later...

According to today's (May 12) Dine and Dash the West End Farmer's Market is in serious jeopardy as it appears the City works Department forgot to tell the Farmer's Market society that it could not use Nelson Park this year due to construction work!!

I can only imagine how they must be freaking at the YLFMS offices after spending months of planning and scheduling of vendors (who in turn must now be freaking as an important revenue source is about to evaporate). Anyone have an empty lot to rent?

On a positive note Saturday May 20 is the opening date of Trout Lake's Farmer's market. (9:00am - 2:00pm).

And there is no truth to the rumour that Milan the tomato guy has developed a super early tomato, sorry we'll just have to wait a couple of months!

On a positive note Saturday May 20 is the opening date of Trout Lake's Farmer's market. (9:00am - 2:00pm).

Thanks for posting this. Does the Trout Lake Farmer's Market tend to be sparse on vendors this early on?

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Depends what you mean by sparse. Of course, there are relatively few fruit & veg vendors this time of year, but there may still be some good finds. I bet there will be very nice mesclun greens (and similar -- spinach, etc), some types of herbs, and maybe cheeses and honey.

If it's a long ordeal for you to get out there I'd wait until the real treasures come into season, but I live a few blocks away so I'll be checking it out regardless.

Tomorrow is the second week for the Lonsdale Quay market.

I went last week and we picked up beautiful kale flowers ... my new favourite vegetable. Really nice leeks, oyster mushrooms and something else ... can't remember what. There were a few other offerings too. All from the Glenn Valley Farm. We were at the farm three weeks ago, and there is a non-trivial chance that there will be salad tomorrow.

The only other farm/produce was Janes Bees for some nice honey.

Mark.

Depends what you mean by sparse.  Of course, there are relatively few fruit & veg vendors this time of year, but there may still be some good finds.  I bet there will be very nice mesclun greens (and similar -- spinach, etc), some types of herbs, and maybe cheeses and honey.

If it's a long ordeal for you to get out there I'd wait until the real treasures come into season, but I live a few blocks away so I'll be checking it out regardless.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably wait a month or two before heading out then, as I was pretty enthralled with the selection last fall (a week or two before the market closed for the season).

I'll also check out the Lonsday farmer's market. Staying on the Shore, I believe that the Dundareve farmer's market is starting up this weekend.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Went out to the Kelwona Farmer's Market today - and it was a pretty pleasant surprise - it is about 3 times the size of the Trout Lake market. Though the vendors were pretty craft driven given the earliness in the season - there were a number of interesting food vendors. Organic cheeses, preserves, honeys and lettuces were already making a showing.

Market Entrance

gallery_25348_2544_16559.jpg

Tomato Plants, Organic Garlic Greens

gallery_25348_2544_15703.jpggallery_25348_2544_6557.jpg

One thing about people in the interior - they can bake. Beesting Cake, Strawberry Cake - they were good - but a little too sweet, I think the strawberries are from the U.S. - not alot of flavor.

gallery_25348_2544_8153.jpggallery_25348_2544_6953.jpg

Fried Hungarian Bread - your choice of sprinkling powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, or garlic salt. I chose the sweet option - nice chewy fried bread - who can resist?

gallery_25348_2544_6456.jpg

I can't wait when things really kick into season.

It looks like old Hedda Lettuce over on City Food's Dine and Dash website has gotten her info wrong. I ran into one of the Farmer's Market execs on the Drive this afternoon and when I consoled her on the loss of the West End site she expressed surprise as they have already organized a site around the corner from the Nelson and never had a question of not having a place!

Just goes to show, you need to check with the source before going to press (myself included).

• 1 month later...

Here's some info on Saturday's market at UBC Farms from their e-list:

"It's already time for June's last market, so come on out and celebrate the

first weekend of summer at our Honeymoon Festival! Featuring bee hive tours,

honey tasting and sales, bee info and activities, refreshments, live music

and face painting. Events will take place during the market (from 9-1), with

most activities starting around 10:00. The weather is supposed to be

gorgeous, so what better place to spend your day than the UBC Farm?

[snip]

This week there will be more carrots, beets and scallions, and the

strawberries are still going strong! Radishes and pac choi are winding down,

but peas will make their market debut, as will white nugget potatoes from

Fraserland Farms."

For those interested in strawberries, we have four varieties on the farm, so you could ask someone to show you the different patches. They sell out fast, though!

--Mae West

It looks like old Hedda Lettuce over on City Food's Dine and Dash website has gotten her info wrong. I ran into one of the Farmer's Market execs on the Drive this afternoon and when I consoled her on the loss of the West End site she expressed surprise as they have already organized a site around the corner from the Nelson and never had a question of not having a place!

Just goes to show, you need to check with the source before going to press (myself included).

So far the West End market is being held the same place it has been since 2004 - on Comox Street between Thurlow and Bute. No construction has started at Nelson Park and no one mentioned anything about the Market having to move.

Cheers,

Anne

red, black, or white?

Currant Jelly?

Currant Brandy?

Tarts with pastry cream and currants

Currant Ice Cream

Currant Sorbet

Dry them for the winter so that you can have them with roast duck? MMMMMMMM

Peanut butter mousse with candied currants on top

I could go on....

Good Luck!

red, black, or white?

Currant Jelly?

Currant Brandy?

Currant Ice Cream

Currant Sorbet

Dry them for the winter so that you can have them with roast duck?  MMMMMMMM

I could go on....

Good Luck!

They're black and very sour. Thanks for the inspiration. Currant ice cream is calling out to me. I'd better dust off the Donvier.

BTW, Aren't the raspberries great this year? Wow.

--Mae West

red, black, or white?

Currant Jelly?

Currant Brandy?

Currant Ice Cream

Currant Sorbet

Dry them for the winter so that you can have them with roast duck?  MMMMMMMM

I could go on....

Good Luck!

They're black and very sour. Thanks for the inspiration. Currant ice cream is calling out to me. I'd better dust off the Donvier.

BTW, Aren't the raspberries great this year? Wow.

If you do make ice cream.....try adding a little vanilla bean to it. Not a lot. This subtle nuance will MAKE that ice cream. Remember to strain before churning so that all the pits get removed.

Black currants are supposed to be sour. Then when you make sweet things with them, they aren't overly sweet.

Haven't got any raspberries yet. Maybe I'll pick some in the next couple of days. I'm waiting for the blackberries! MMMMMMM Jam! And Peach-Blackberry PIE! Can't wait for those Glowhavens to start appearing! **sigh** I love summer....

If you do make ice cream.....try adding a little vanilla bean to it.  Not a lot.  This subtle nuance will MAKE that ice cream.  Remember to strain before churning so that all the pits get removed.

Black currants are supposed to be sour.  Then when you make sweet things with them, they aren't overly sweet.

Haven't got any raspberries yet.  Maybe I'll pick some in the next couple of days.  I'm waiting for the blackberries!  MMMMMMM  Jam!  And Peach-Blackberry PIE!  Can't wait for those Glowhavens to start appearing!  **sigh** I love summer....

Thanks for the ice cream tips! I too am craving peaches. Today I found some tiny little cone-shaped blackberries in the woods. I don't even think they were the wild blackberries. They were intensely flavorful. The strawberries at UBC farm market were at their peak today. I've decided my favorite are the Totem. They are a bit more delicate, compact and a few shades closer to what a wild strawberry tastes like than the other kinds.

--Mae West

• 2 weeks later...

Strathcona Farmers Market

Edmonton

Strathcona market located in Edmonton's south side in an area called Old Strathcona; years ago it was a competing city of its own right across the once busy Saskatchewan river. Traders and industry once littered the fast moving waters on a daily basis getting around the Northwesters and Hudson bay trading areas. Native Peoples, the French, Metis, Scottish, and Irish were the inhabitants of the day- the English where just starting to arrive on the banks of the great river that hauled many furs and the fruits of logging and now a busy brick company made home on the river banks of the Saskatchewan.

Strathcona has always kept its independent attitude from its neighbour Edmonton across the banks of that busy waterway. The river separated and made travel a little difficult before there was a bridge- only the ferryman could carry you away.

Alberta become a province in 1905 but the two cities remained separate souls for a little period longer. The great train pulled into town and forever changing the way people moved around the territory.

The University of Alberta is located on the south side and is a big part of why Starthcona has always had that slight different edge then the working man's part of town. Many of the British elite built beautiful brick mansions on the south side of the shores of the north Saskatchewan.

Edmonton in the seventies oil boom destroyed most of the beautiful old western Architecture that once doted the old Western town of Edmonton. Jasper ave had many Beautiful old sandstone buildings like the Hotel Macdonald. The boom waited for no one and time and history was just a hindrance in progress so down went the past for a fast future that only in five years changed the face of downtown Edmonton and almost forever the scares of that violent period would mark the personality of the city for years.

The South Side seemed to miss that wind like a gale broaching a big tall ship Sailing on the Coast of Vancouver island bringing furs back to Hawaii onto the world market- putting her on its side, many men drowning in the angry waters reminding the captain of the fierceness of the waters of that great Pacific sea.

The eighties the dust settled from the big oil boom and many a men and woman were licking their wounds from the onslaught of the new depression- the land of many was no more, at least for another 25 years.

Somebody woke up from the hangover and saw how many beautiful old structures survived the booms of the 70's. Run down but not beaten- the govs of the day had the foresight to put money and create many quality jobs for trade workers renovating all the old buildings in the old city creating what we call today Old strathcona. White Avenue is the heart beat of the city of Edmonton. Without it, Edmonton would be a very boring town with no past- devastated by the gale that hit the banks of that old western town back in the seventies forever changing her face for the bad not the good.

All this character is infused into The South Side's Starthcona Farmers Market helled every Saturday. The modern version is now over thirty years old and has all the history and character of days gone by.

The Huderites have a huge booth with the most amazing produce and old school crafts- they have been a consistent part of the growth of the market.

Alberta hot house in my opinion now is surpassing BC in quality and is not held back by the powerfully marketing boards which is doing more harm to farmers profits then good. There is three different farms now that have peppers of every colour under the rainbow. The hot peppers come in every heat and size. Tomatoes galore- sweet and skins that are not like rubber ( BC hothouse)- which I find in the most part Bland. Cucumbers, eggplants and a array of herbs.

You have Buffalo- free range and organic Beef and chicken and many home business poping up like mushrooms after a prairies fire. That Alberta free enterprise way runs free and wild within these walls. Something I do not see in the Beautiful BC. Bc is more about buracracy then about free enterprise. It amazes me of what landlocked winter wonderland Edmonton is doing in Agriculture. In the last five years I have watched BC plundure its resources and watch one by one food Manufacturing move out like rats on a ship.

When you cruise the booths of the Strathcona farmers market on sat- you see that entrepreneur attitude come out of the pores of that living and organic creature called a market steeped in history and character of days gone by. That farmer and old school Western tenacity runs rampant like children in a candy store. So far in Vancouver and what I have seen in Bc; the only thing I have seen that comes close is the market in New Denver on Fridays and China Town. Vancouver and BC is dire need of a central wholesale farmers market where that free enterprising system can move freely and where local growers can get their food to market. Let these people make a living and alow the consumer access to all that great food that BC grows, stop the flow of the exporters that no longer have the benefit of the Canandian Peso but are not fast enough to realize they would make more money selling localy then to export. Marketing boards are a thing of the past. Bring on the bartering and the atmosphere of a great market.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know when Milan will be here with his tomatoes?  I can't wait much longer.....

Stoney Paradise - Milan the tomato guy

Here is his Trout Lake Market Schedule available on the Farmer's Market web page. He is scheduled to be at Trout this coming weekend but whether he has tomatoes or not is anyone's guess. The rumour around the market was that he lost a ton of seedlings early on and was in trouble but then anyone who knows him has heard this story every year. He loves the drama of keeping his public guessing. First up should be Sungolds and whatever interesting veggies he has grown this year.

Be there before 9:00am and get in line or risk the dreaded Sold Out sign.

Sapo Bravo always has a great selection of heirloom toms (once things start) so if the line is too long for Milan jump into Sapo Bravo's instead.

• 1 month later...

For those of you who love jalapeno peppers, UBC farm is having a special tomorrow (the market runs from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. as posted by Amy Frye in the Market e-letter:

"This week, our cool weather crops start to

comeback - pac choi this week, and spinach and peas coming soon. We're

bringing in some BC grapes for tomorrow, as well as butternut squash. Also

this week: market special on jalapenos - 85 cents a pound! We have some

great looking jalapenos at an incredible price, so plan to make some

jalepeno jelly, jalapeno relish or jalepeno poppers! (recipes available at

market). The forecast for tomorrow looks good, so come enjoy the crisp fall

weather and yummy UBC Farm produce!"

Also, there is a fundraiser for the farm coming up soon:

"The fourth annual Farmade is happening next Friday,

Sept 22nd from 3:00 - 7:00 pm at the farm. Featuring music (local bands),

BBQ, farm tours, beer garden, kids area and facepainting. Free admission,