• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

• 3 weeks later...
This just in ...

The Winter Farmers' Market!!

The first Saturday of the month from November to April you can now get your fresh veggies!

Well ... it's a start!

A.

Just a reminder that the first Winter Farmer's Market is this coming Saturday Nov. 04 at the Wise Hall on Victoria (just behind the Van. East Cultural Center). They plan to have vendors in the hall as well as outside and apparently there are so many farmers and prepared food vendors that there is no room for crafts!

This may not be on the scale of the cool permanent Farmers' Market sites in Edmonton and Calgary but as Daddy A says "...it's a start".

Made the trek to the Winter Market today with J and my one son who has yet to find the joys of having a part-time job.

Pros: Continued supply of Bad-Girl (Christmas Truffles!), Big Don's (Corn Relish), Little Qualicum (Sans Parei & Bleu Claire) and Bruthaus (Winnipeg Rye!).

Cons: The Wise Hall on a wet Saturday morning is a crowded, humid little hole. When we arrived they were letting 20 people in once 20 people left. I know, the rain wasn't their fault ... but really, how unlikely is rain in Vancouver in November?

All in all a good start. But maybe I need to make it my life's work to find the market a decent place to hold an indoor market ... preferably with lots of parking nearby. I'd even pay for parking.

Looking forward to next month ... and to the Christmas Market at Heritage Hall.

A.

• 4 weeks later...

Made it to the Wise Hall Winter Market yesterday-all the years I've lived here and never been in the old place.

The Market spilled out into the street-as all good markets do-decent weather and lots of familiar faces made for quite the bustling enterprise.

Two sour notes though-some vendors had jacked prices as much as 30% over their summer prices for the same product

-absolute avarice IMO. :angry:

Wise Hall itself is a gloomy old fire trap/dump hardly fit for human habitation.

This weekend is "Your Local Farmers Market Society 11th Annual Holiday Market (formerly known as the Winter Market)"

December 9 & 10, 2006

10am - 5pm both days

Heritage Hall, (Main Street and 15th Avenue) Vancouver

Admission: $2 each day Children under 13 FREE

Each day is different! Shop at familiar summer market vendors and new vendors you may have never met before.

Get there EARLY! Last year there was lineups down the block. Promises even more vendors this year and they are different on each day.

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

FYI - From Chris Brown of Rise Bakery

This coming Saturday Dec. 9 at the Heritage Hall -3102 Main/15th from 10:00am - 5:00pm will mark the start of our Holiday offerings, (along with our most popular breads and dolci). Just turn left when you enter and we will be against the far wall.

(There will also be another full "Bake" for Dec. 22 which will be available for pickup from my residence in Kit's Point.) Panettones, Panfortes, Tortes and Biscotti will be available for special order from Dec.15 - 22.

To order for Saturday's market: Once you have selected from the list below please reply to this e mail with your order, name and phone number along with the approximate time you will be picking up your order (morning/ early afternoon/ late afternoon) this will help us to organize our extremely tight selling area. I will confirm with your total. Please have all orders in by Thursday 6:00pm.

In addition to the Classic Panettone and Panettone Milanese there will also be a Meyer Lemon Panettone made with homemade candied Meyer Lemons from the new Winter crop.

My suggestion is to buy your Panettones for consumption within 3 -5 days or freeze and enjoy at your leisure. Panfortes will keep for weeks and are perfect for giving as a gift that will not be consumed right away.

......and I will have fresh batches of Meyer Lemon Marmalade!

The Selection:

Breads:

Market Loaf -$4.

Organic Multi Grain -$5.50

3 Cheese w/ Roasted Garlic -$5.50

Raisin Walnut Ginger Streusel -$6.50

Organic Spelt Loaf -$6.00

Rustica (rustic scone w/ fennel, orange peel and raisins) - $2.

Panettones and Dolce:

Classico - the traditional Panettone made with raisins, currants, homemade candied orange peel and cranberries in a buttery, yeasted dough. Gift packaged -$20./ unwrapped $18. pls. specify when ordering

Milano - Similar to the Classico except with pieces of Bittersweet Chocolate and Golden Sundried Pears to replace the dried fruit.

Meyer Lemon Panettone w/ Cranberries - Homemade candied organic Meyer Lemons and cranberries in a buttery, yeasted dough. -Gift packaged-  $20. unwrapped -$18. plse specify

Panforte - The classic Christmas confection from Sienna - a honey based fruit and nut toffee with dried figs, candied orange peel, toasted almonds, hazelnuts and spices. -$12.

........and

Diva Cookies, Triple Ginger Cookies, Chocolate Chilis, Chocolate Crinkles

Chocolate Pecan Tartlettes $5.

Mincemeat Tarts $5.

Cranberry Orange Loaf

Chocolate Hazelnut Tortes $12./$3.00

Lemon Buttermilk Loaf

Banana Loaf

Spiced Mixed Nuts $6./pck

Chocolate Almond Cranberry Biscotti $1.75

Meyer Lemon Marmalade (fresh crop) $7./$11.00

There will be more but these are the main items available for ordering. A limited edition of the classic Stollen will be available for Christmas ordering as well.

If you would like a Word document of this page please e mail me and I will be happy to send it.

See you soon!

Chris and Tracy

The Pannetone and Panforte sound amazing...

• 6 months later...

UBC Farmers Market had their first day yesterday. The weather held out, especially for the people who were lined up early for the organic eggs, strawberries and young garlic.

The Mayans had their cilantro and radishes. One group of radishes were enlongated in shape and, although I didn't try it, has less bite than the regular beets.

The smell at this market is incredible. Fresh herbs, lavender, garlic...it is much more pronounced here without the car fumes at other markets.

The market runs until October with each week bringing in the seasonal crops. You can wander around the fields, see the chickens, bring the kids and finish the day wandering around Point Grey.

I bought a few things I've never tried before: turnips greens, garlic scapes and young swiss chard. They are all organic and very fresh; picked the day before.

I think this market is unique in that it is student and volunteer run and you are shopping in the area where they are grown. There are many unique education programs for kids and school. They promote sustainable and organic practice. I plan to bring my nephew to help harvest for the market (and they have to be controllable.) I think this is a good way to get kids interested in real food. When you go, there is a ton of information regarding kid friendly activities.

You can get onto their mailing list http://www.landfood.ubc.ca/ubcfarm/ They email a list of what will be available at the next Saturday market as well as activities. The last presentation (by donation) was about Winter Gardening.

• 1 month later...

You know it's full on summer when Milan finally makes his appearance with tomatoes at Trout Lake. He was there Saturday with a nice crop of Sungolds (his first tomatoes of the season). He will also be at the new Kitsilano market as well on Sundays.

Word has it though that he is planning to hang it up this year as the grind is getting to him. (Then again this may be just early season fatigue that he will work out of his system.)

If he does retire he at least leaves the Heirloom Tomato scene in Vancouver in pretty good shape as there are any number of vendors at the farmer's markets with some pretty decent product. In fact I have to say that for the last few weeks there has been a day table vendor at Granville Island with really excellent Heirlooms that are as close to the best summer tomatoes as I have ever had. They grown them in polytunnels in Chillawack. All the dark varieties are really good (Black Krim etc.), just buy them a day or so before you need them so that they can finish ripening.

Does anyone know which of the vendors sell organic garlic?  I want to use them for freezing and planting.

UBC farm had some garlic last week.

At Trout lake look for Stein Mountain farm (I hope I've got the name right - look for hanging wreaths of garlic and peppers (if it's not too early in the season for those)) - they have wonderful organic garlic, and a great selection of onions. I haven't been out there for a while since we're frequenting UBC farm this year (got in on their box program this year).

If UBC farm is handy for anyone this week, it's a good time to go out - there's been quite a bounty! This coming Saturday will have the biggest selection of the season yet!

Glenn Valley farm coop will have some today at Lonsdale Quay. 10 - 3pm, and while you're there, come say hi. I'm the potter (although, I think I'll be one of two of us). I do normal stoneware, the other one does exquisite Korean celadon, amazing stuff.

• 2 months later...

I went to the Riley's Farmers Market today and bought some organic Mutsu apples. They were the most crispy apples I've ever had in my entire life! I cannot remember the name of the vendor and hope that someone on this site can direct me to an email or phone number.

The vendors had the most varieties of apples and they had a sign that stated the price of apples if you wanted to buy 20 pounds or more. They said with proper storage, it can last till February. (I highly doubt my purchase can last that long.)

You have to place an order and they will bring it to the last market next Wednesday for pick up. You can even order 10 pounds of two different varieties.

If anyone can provide me a link so I can place an order I would be most grateful.

I highly suggest buying apples from the Farmers Market as I find that I have not found anything better. As I mentioned in another thread, the organic local gala I bought at Capers were bland and the texture seem to indicate that they were stored too long or not properly.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I went to the Riley's Farmers Market today and bought some organic Mutsui apples.  They were the most crispy apples I've ever had in my entire life!  I cannot remember the name of the vendor and hope that someone on this site can direct me to an email or phone number.

Take a look at the list of vendors. You'd probably have to click on quite a few of them before you find the one that you want, but if no one comes up with the vendor's name, it will at least give you a start on your search. When you click on the names, you can see which farmers market they're at and when, and also what they sell.

It was likely "Klippers Organic Acres".  They set up at many local markets.

Does this mean that they're usually at the Lonsdale Quay market? If so, I'll have to go. I haven't seen any mutsu apples this year.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Does this mean that they're usually at the Lonsdale Quay market? If so, I'll have to go. I haven't seen any mutsu apples this year.

You're probably too late on this lovely day but they usually do the Thursday Granville Island Market and also the Sunday Kits Market if it's still going.

No, they're never at Lonsdale. But you should go regardless. Klippers is however at Ambleside 10am - 3pm behind the police station. Both Anne-Marie (Klippers) and Mary Forstbauer (her mom) have excellent produce there. This weekend there will be another farmer Donna of Glen Valley Artichoke Farm, with the best cabbage you've ever had. I always buy a bunch from her to make sauerkraut. She has much more than just artichokes. Great Queensland blues too.

On Saturdays at Lonsdale you will find a vendor who sells only apples, Silverhill Orchards. He's from Port Moody and he has excellent product, just not Mutsu. Look out for his Gravenstein. They're gone already for this year (try late august next year). If you've eaten apples from public orchards in little Bavarian villages, you will want these apples. He has Ambrosia right now.

Sorry to be a shill.

Mark.