• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers Markets

Zucchini Mama's Market Meal Highlights

Wine of the week was the mead we bought from Tugwell Creek Farm and Meadery near Sooke. Actually this wine really grew on me over the week. It tastes of buckwheat honey, clove, wildflowers, and oddly enough, vinegar. It's sort of sweet and savory, like a honey tonic. It was very good with the coconut sauce from the Beef Brisket curry at Mui Garden we had for takeout. (Our oven's on the fritz). I also liked it with milky Chai chocolate I'm addicted to, but it doesn't work with dark chocolate. The mead went well with Little Qualicum's Light Blue Cheese. I've had mead made by monks off the coast of Scotland which I really didn't like, but this is something completely different. I wish we'd bought more.

Notes on the wine from the farm's web site: "Metheglin $16.00 Can., 750 ml, sweetness code 1, 13% alcohol

An old world mead brought to the new world by the first settlers in North America. This ancient mead style descends from the many generations that created their own secret recipes. Wildflower Honey and a blend of spices is added to pure water and fermented with special yeast. Aged in French Oak barrels, this off dry mead, with its complex aromas and taste, is sure to please the most discerning palates." That's from www.tugwellcreekfarm.com.

Zuke

This reminds me of the potables column in the Vancouver Courier last Sunday, did you see it? It was in reference to Middle Mountain Mead of Hornby Island. I found it quite intriguing. Apparently they have a web site Hornby Island Winery (Mead)which I haven't checked out yet, but your post reminded me. I'm guessing the Courier review is online; the lavender and fresh fruits sounded quite wonderful.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

• 2 weeks later...

Biked over to Trout Lake last Saturday and bought grapes from Stoney Farm. They had Einset, Seneca, Interlaken and New York Muscat...hopefully I got the names right, it was written on the sign. Of course, those sweet little yellow tomatoes are a must while lining up. Someone please remind me the name of the yellow tomatoes?

The grapes were all very sweet and delicious, even with the seeds. I have never gone back to store bought grapes because of this. True to his word, Milan's Concord grapes has very tiny seeds, almost unnoticeable when eaten. For anyone who has never eaten wine grapes, you musn't miss out. I believe the window period for these grapes is very short.

I also bought some Canadice grapes from the vendor from Cawston in the Similkamen Valley. These were also very deliciously sweet. Too bad it was his last Saturday at Trout Lake.

Also got a 5 pound bag of Red Fife flour and it was also his last Saturday at Trout Lake.

Had my first taste of Mutsu green apples and now I have another favorite. It had the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity and a great fresh crunch.

Biked over to Trout Lake last Saturday and bought grapes from Stoney Farm.  They had Einset, Seneca, Interlaken and New York Muscat...hopefully I got the names right, it was written on the sign.  Of course, those sweet little yellow tomatoes are a must while lining up.  Someone please remind me the name of the yellow tomatoes?

The grapes were all very sweet and delicious, even with the seeds.  I have never gone back to store bought grapes because of this.  True to his word, Milan's Concord grapes has very tiny seeds, almost unnoticeable when eaten.  For anyone who has never eaten wine grapes, you musn't miss out.  I believe the window period for these grapes is very short.

I also bought some Canadice grapes from the vendor from Cawston in the Similkamen Valley.  These were also very deliciously sweet.  Too bad it was his last Saturday at Trout Lake.

Also got a 5 pound bag of Red Fife flour and it was also his last Saturday at Trout Lake.

Had my first taste of Mutsu green apples and now I have another favorite.  It had the perfect balance of sweetness and acidity and a great fresh crunch.

Max,

The variety of which you speak is called "Sungold". I have one plant in my garden, and it probably produced about 10 lbs. of those delectable little nuggets. From one plant! You can even grow them in a pot.....then you'll have them all summer. Beware though - they grow to about 6 ft. Worth the trouble though.

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Another Installment of Zucchini Mama's Market Meals

This week my favorite at home dish was sautéed chanterelles from the mushroom lady at Nat Bailey on polenta made with chicken stock. We've been eating a lot of naked food-naked tiny tomatoes, ground cherries, grapes, and apples. Maybe we'll finally get that raw food glow!

Our B.C. wine this week was Gehringer Bros. 2004 Classic Riesling, which I really love. It's got a good strong backbone, with lots of grapefruit. It went really well with the spaetzle and ham dish we had, but it's also fine for a stir fry.

This week was the last UBC farmer's market, but there will be a pumpkin market before Halloween. I got the last jar of UBC farm honey for the season.

Like Maxmillan, I have really been enjoying local grapes, and stole a few from the vines at the farm, which are struggling amidst blackberry brambles. They are just exploding with flavor.

I can't wait for Chris from Arise to make his grape bread, which is my favorite market food ever. He only makes it when grapes are in season.

Zuke

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

This week my favorite at home dish was sautéed chanterelles from the mushroom lady at Nat Bailey on polenta made with chicken stock.  We've been eating a lot of naked food-naked tiny tomatoes, ground cherries, grapes, and apples. Maybe we'll finally get that raw food glow!

Our B.C. wine this week was Gehringer Bros. 2004 Classic Riesling, which I really love. It's got a good strong backbone, with lots of grapefruit. It went really well with the spaetzle and ham dish we had, but it's also fine for a stir fry.

This week was the last UBC farmer's market, but there will be a pumpkin market before Halloween. I got the last jar of UBC farm honey for the season.

Like Maxmillan, I have really been enjoying local grapes, and stole a few from the vines at the farm, which are struggling amidst blackberry brambles. They are just exploding with flavor.

I can't wait for Chris from Arise to make his grape bread, which is my favorite market food ever. He only makes it when grapes are in season.

Zuke

Curious, when and where is this pumpkin market? What time? Will there be more than just pumpkins? The bread from Arise sounds intriguing. Where can one get a loaf of the grape bread? Thanks!

This week my favorite at home dish was sautéed chanterelles from the mushroom lady at Nat Bailey on polenta made with chicken stock.  We've been eating a lot of naked food-naked tiny tomatoes, ground cherries, grapes, and apples. Maybe we'll finally get that raw food glow!

Zuke

Curious, when and where is this pumpkin market? What time? Will there be more than just pumpkins? The bread from Arise sounds intriguing. Where can one get a loaf of the grape bread? Thanks!

The pumpkin market will be announced closer to Halloween. I will post it on this thread. I don't know if there will be more than pumpkins, but there's still many ground cherries and tomatilloes that aren't ripe yet, so I imagine there might be a few other treats for sale.

Chris from Arise only sells at the markets right now, although I think he's looking for a venue. I am anticipating the Italian grape bread should be for sale very soon. He's usually at Trout Lake and sometimes at Nat Bailey. If you like grapes, you will swoon over this bread. I can't remember the Italian name, but it sells out fast.

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

--Mae West

UBC farm has added one extra market, tomorrow, October first.

Chris from Arise Bakery is making his Schiacciata-Italian grape bread, and will most likely by a Trout Lake tomorrow, but he tells me it sells out early!

Zuke

--Mae West

Chris from Arise Bakery is making his Schiacciata-Italian grape bread, and will most likely by a Trout Lake tomorrow, but he tells me it sells out early!

Zuke

pssst - chris' operation is called Rise...

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Zuke

pssst - chris' operation is called Rise...

D'ohhh! Thanks 3WC.

Zuke

--Mae West

Went out to Trout Lake and it was the most abundant I have seen it yet - lots and lots of stuff. Is it true that next week will be last one? Does'nt make sense given the late growing season we have... just when things seem to betting into swing with apples, plums, beets, pears...

BTW went to Rise Breads at 10am - and they were sold out of the grape bread already. The were $10(!) a loaf and were not out on display - so you had to know to ask for it... and it STILL sold out! I am sure a few people on this forum got their grubby paws some loaves. I got my eye on you guys....

BTW - I am enjoying one of his 'market loaves' right now. Dense chewy french loaf - alot of flavor and good crust. Does Rise sell anything off market season?

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Went out to Trout Lake and it was the most abundant I have seen it yet - lots and lots of stuff.  Is it true that next week will be last one?  Does'nt make sense given the late growing season we have...  just when things seem to betting into swing with apples, plums, beets, pears...

BTW went to Rise Breads at 10am - and they were sold out of the grape bread already.  The were $10(!) a loaf and were not out on display - so you had to know to ask for it...  and it STILL sold out!  I am sure a few people on this forum got their grubby paws some loaves.  I got my eye on you guys....

BTW - I am enjoying one of his 'market loaves' right now.  Dense chewy french loaf - alot of flavor and good crust.  Does Rise sell anything off market season?

He is talking about finding a venue, but until then Chris sells special treats at the winter Farmer's market in Heritage Hall near Christmas.

Went to the last UBC market and got some of those coveted UBC eggs for the first time. People usually line up early for those eggs, but not as many early birds this time due to it being an add- on market. Mark Bomford said that the UBC vet comes to check the chickens over from time to time, and he actually witnessed them "playing" a game of keep-away with a piece of paper. The vet says he's never seen such happy chickens. Occasionally one escapes and when they do they they doggedly search for the farmer who resides in a trailer on the site.

Can't wait to eat those happy eggs with some chanterelles and fromage frais!

Zuke

--Mae West

He is talking about finding a venue, but until then Chris sells special treats at the winter Farmer's market in Heritage Hall near Christmas.

I hope that he does - the market loaves is one of the nicest loaves of bread I have had in a long time. The bread continues to develop and taste excellent the second day. It has a slightly 'wet' tacky texture of a ciabatta with great chew and flavor. I've been reading how Poilane thinks his bread is best on the third day after baking. In the past I have always felt that bread is best the same day it is made - but now I can see a little - how can bread continue to develop and change as it sits. This loaf will be completely eaten today.

Nat Bailey market day again already! This morning I cooked up chanterelles with scrambled happy UBC eggs, Little Qualicum fromage frais, Romano, S and P and a few fennel fronds. Served with a side of cherry tomatoes from UBC farm. Now that the UBC farm market is closed, you can still buy the remaining produce at the Sprouts shop on campus in the basement of the SUB.

Last week's Bad Girl truffle of the week was Stout, which was my favorite so far. The Stout adds a savory richness to the chocolate that really does pull out the great notes of the chocolate she uses. I think that should be a regular truffle.

Unfortunately, there are not enough pumpkins this year for UBC farm to have a pumpkin market since the school tours are going to pick them. I recommend a trip out to Westham Island Herb Farm where they have photogenic pumpkin fields, fresh herbs and for a modest fee they will pick you a beautiful fall flower bouquet. It lacks the tacky Elvis impersonator shows of other pumpkin farms. (Which you may think is a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on what you're lookin' for in a pumpkin farm.) :wink:

Zuke

--Mae West

It was nice to see that Bekkman's Berries was still selling strawberrries and raspberries at the Nat market. We have been buying baskets every week, Incredible! The quality has been consistent all season, as well as the bluberries earlier on. He said he may be back for one more week.

I strolled through the Nat Bailey market with canucklehead today and picked up two loaves of Chris's bread: three cheese roasted garlic and pesto roasted tomato. Breakfast tomorrow... mmmmm.

Two baskets of raspberries and one medium-sized bin of strawberries from Bekkman's; Noah's already demolished half a basket of raspberries on his own.

Wish I could've picked up some gem squash but, alas, my beautiful new oven has yet to be hooked up.

And how could I escape without picking up some treats from Bad Girl Chocolates to fuel this evening's unpacking: candied ginger and dark chocolate for Ian, a couple of peanut butter cups, the pumpkin pie truffle of the week and some raw sugar caramels... I'm sure I've forgotten one or two in there somewhere. Also sampled the peanut butter and jam. All you PB&J lovers out there, take note. You just can't go wrong with dark chocolate and PB&J.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I too was at the Nat Bailey Market today.... first time ever!

Picked up some beets (w/ green attached), some kale and some swiss chard (from Forstbauer Natural Food Farm), some delicious Mutsu apples (I think these were from Klippers), a cute little cabbage from a co-op whose name escapes me. (hope I have the vendors right.... I should have made note :blink: )

Then on to bread from Rise - the market loaf as well as some of the soon-to-be-famous grape celebration bread - aka Schiacciata :wub:, cheese from Little Qualicum Cheeseworks, dill pickles from Big Don's Pickles, pepper jelly from Deni's Delights and .... last, but certainly not least, chocolates from Bad Girl.

Also ran into an old friend of mine that I haven't seen in a while.... he admitted to being a lurker here (had read about the grape bread!).... time to delurk "M" and join in the fun!

Oh and curious about the berries.... I did notice them in passing but was unsure about buying them as it seems so strange to me to have berries in October. Perhaps they are grown in a greenhouse :unsure: Will have to have a chat next time... hopefully they will be around next week.

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Hainan Chicken and Market Salad

It's a cold, rainy autumn day and the stove still doesn't work, so I decide to try to cook Hainan Chicken for the first time. It's so easy and quick-I can't believe I haven't put this in my rotation before! Teacher's strike starts tomorrow, so we will be warm and cozy at home with plenty of chicken soup fixings in the fridge! I decided to cook wild rice in the stock from the chicken, and improvised a ginger dipping sauce with a different twist: Austrian Pumpkin seed oil, ginger, garlic, broth, chili paste, and a bit of soya sauce (I need to get some fish sauce!)

I made a salad with greens from UBC farm (that are mixed with Calendula and cornflower blossoms), Poplar Grove hazelnuts, Light Blue cheese from Little Qualicum, and Fujiyama apple chunks from Klipper's.

Dessert was a pumpkin spice truffle from Bad Girl, which was very elegant and refined.

We've been having cheese plates all week with BC Concord grapes, dried figs, the aforementioned Light Blue, and some Manchego. Our B.C. wine this week was the dependable Gehringer Bros. Cuvée Noir.

I may check out the West End farmer's market on Saturday. Can someone explain to me where it is? I don't know that part of town very well.

Zuke

--Mae West

BTW - I am enjoying one of his 'market loaves' right now.  Dense chewy french loaf - alot of flavor and good crust.  Does Rise sell anything off market season?

We have his individual Chocolate Almond Torte with sundried sour cherries.

Alistair Durie

Elysian Coffee

I may check out the West End farmer's market on Saturday. Can someone explain to me where it is? I don't know that part of town very well.

Zuke

westend market is along that park that is on thurlow and comox(?). not sure about the comox part but it is the street just north of davie at thurlow. you can't missit.

d

Drew Johnson

bread & coffee

i didn't write that book, but i did pass 8th grade without stress. and i'm a FCAT for sure.

Here is a picture of Chris' Grape Bread

gallery_25348_1380_9729.jpg

It is more like a bread gallette than a loaf - full of tangy grapes and scented with rosemary. I have been enjoying it for breakfast. Good!

I was kindly given a sample of his little rustica breads - full of sweet raisins and touched with the right amout of whole fennel seeds and orange peel. Real autumnal flavors.

The market loaf continues to be a huge favorite. You can taste what slow fermentation can bring out in the loaf. Complex, sweet, chewy mmmmm. My only regret is that I did not try his breads until so late in the market season. Looking forward to Chris' christmas offerings.

Trout lake market is going to be nuts this weekend.

Edited by canucklehead (log)

Westend Market

Went to the final Westend market. It's actually in a beautiful setting, right off Nelson Park where the trees are in the midst of their fall fashion show. It has most of the same vendors as the Nat Bailey Market, with a few new ones. I bought some Bad Girl Chocolates (of course) chocolate chip cookies from Blackberry Hill, and some quince from a Demeter-certified orchard. I don't know what I'll do with the quince, but they are intriguing-very fragrant and covered with a soft yellow flocking.

Bought a few Krims from Klippers and sliced one on top of a Turkey Dinner kolachy (cut in half) for lunch. Thanksgiving in a bun.

Zuke

--Mae West

Here is a picture of Chris' Grape Bread

gallery_25348_1380_9729.jpg

It is more like a bread gallette than a loaf - full of tangy grapes and scented with rosemary. I have been enjoying it for breakfast. Good!

I was kindly given a sample of his little rustica breads - full of sweet raisins and touched with the right amout of whole fennel seeds and orange peel.  Real autumnal flavors.

The market loaf continues to be a huge favorite.  You can taste what slow fermentation can bring out in the loaf.  Complex, sweet, chewy mmmmm.  My only regret is that I did not try his breads until so late in the market season.  Looking forward to Chris' christmas offerings.

Trout lake market is going to be nuts this weekend.

Did you happen to make it to Trout Lake this weekend? Chris was collecting email addresses from his customers. Apparently he bakes once a month and will email those on his list so we can purchase some. He is still going to be at Nat Bailey so if you get a chance check in with him about it. It really is wonderful bread and being able to buy it saves me from having to make my own.

Edited by capers (log)

Did you happen to make it to Trout Lake this weekend?  Chris was collecting email addresses from his customers.  Apparently he bakes once a month and will email those on his list so we can purchase some.

Thanks for the heads up - I gave my email address to Chris at Nat Bailey when I was there. I was also asked for a naked picture of myself - apparently for security reasons.

What one has to go through for good bread in this city.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on a literal field trip with a friend and our boys to the Westham Island Herb Farm to search for Halloween pumpkins. The farm is our preferred pumpkin patch because it's not overwhelmed by bus tours and hay rides. This is the wettest I've seen the fields, but they have produced an abundant crop and the pickings are really good right now. We got four medium small pumpkins for five dollars total. The farm has a huge variety of squash, including sugar pumpkins for baking. They will also cut you a fresh bouquet of herbs and/or flowers. They have apples, potatoes, a good variety of onions, garlic, other root veggies, and a few heirloom tomatoes. They also sell honey and homemade jellies.

My son was fascinated with the little "haunted barn", which he was too frightened of to explore in the dark, but spent half the time peeking in the front and back doors. He loved running through the pumpkin patch and wanted just about every other pumpkin. We came home happily laden with vegetables and covered in muck.

I bought corn there and it was the BEST we've had all season. I cooked it up in a mild curry with potatoes, wild rice and mushrooms. I served it with my homemade crab apple chutney, and a side of braised purple cabbage with pine nuts.

Zuke

--Mae West