• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Memorial Day 2002???

Rosie

We stayed local- took friends to Joel's in Ridgewood !

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

Went to a friend's birthday party in Narrowsburg, NY.  Had a great time.  Stayed over at a  nearby B&B.  So we would not have to drive home late at night.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Yesterday, we had a family dinner in the City which included out-of-town relatives visiting NYC for the week-end, my brother and sister-in-law who live in Syosset, my husband and I (NJ), and our daughter (NYC).  We ate at the Turkish Kitchen.  We chose it because (a) it is a few blocks from our apartment which was a convenient place for all to rendez-vous pre-dinner; (b) we have eaten there often and the food is always delicious; © the menu could satisfy both the carnivores and the vegetarians in our party; and (d) we knew that the staff could adroitly handle a party of 10 on a Saturday evening.   Since this is the NJ board, I won't go into details about the food, but, as expected, it was very tasty, everyone was satisfied, service was excellent, and we all had a great time.

Next time you're up Narrowsburg way, check out the cute little place directly opposite the train station. It looks like an old time drugstore from the outside, but the inside is all wood, pressed tin ceilings, stained glass, etc.

Had an ostrich burger, Dee had a beef filet (pretty good), and we did the whole deal for about $35 with a few beers and a tip...

I'd betta scram, the out-of-state posting police are on the way

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

RailPaul,

Is it the Whistle Stop Cafe, or the Narrowsburg Inn?

Whenever we are invited up for a weekend we go out to lovely restaurants in the area.  Been to Settlers Inn in Hawley PA. The Elkridge Preserve, Beach Lake Inn, and others I cannot remember.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde

Today's food agenda included a quick stop (after taking a friend to Ikea) - with the intention of going to the Rain Forest Cafe (with an explanation far too long to print -and not really an  interesting story) at Kahunaville -- surprising and wonderful- from attentive and professional youthful staff to outstanding orders of: Thai Dancing Shrimp - a fresh coconut tempura shrimp served with basmati rice, a wonderful fresh vegetable stiry fry with a ginger dipping sauce - we also had, outstanding crab cakes served with spicy fries, again fresh  vegetables and a macadamian butter --I'm in no hurry to go back to Ikea or Jersey Gardens (home of Kahunaville) but would love a new locaiton for this chef!

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler