• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ashland, OR ?

I have a reservation at New Sammy's Cowboy Bistro for one night. Where should I dine the second night we are here?

I recommend Amuse. Here's my take from last year.

Sounds perfect. Thanks for the info. Any comments on Zingaro, Hong Kong Bar,

Monet Restaurant and Garden or Cucina Biazzi?

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Hi there! We really enjoy Chateaulin in Ashland. I really enjoy the fixed price meal for $32 which includes two glasses of wine. Everything we have had there has been excellent and the wines are outstanding. It is located right next to the Chateaulin wine shop. If you want to purchase a bottle of wine after hours, they will even open the shop for you after dinner. Excellent food, service and ambiance. Very intimate dining room.

We also really like the Peerless. I believe they recently changed chefs and we haven't been since but have enjoyed several meals here in the past. We had an odd experience at Cucina Biazzi last summer. I dont' really don't want to go into it, but the owners have offered us a complimentary meal next time we're in the area, which will be very soon but we have reservations at Quinz.

I have yet try Amuse or Monet but have heard good things about each. Lucky you with Sammy's. I hope to get there later in the month on our way back home when we pass through the area again. Have a great time! We won't have time for a play, but will definitely take in the Green Show at 7:15 for some great free entertainment. Just love Ashland! :)

Sounds perfect. Thanks for the info. Any comments on Zingaro,  Hong Kong Bar,

Monet Restaurant and Garden or  Cucina Biazzi?

I've been to Monet, but it was a while ago. My memory is that it was quite good, but I can't offer specifics. I was only disappointed because one of my dining companions got the last pheasant pie.

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

Hi Rosie! I just got back from the Rogue Valley last night and we did have a night at Sammy's. If still on the menu, I would suggest: First: garlic custard with morel stew; Main: duck breast with pumpkin sage ravioli; Dessert: chocolate cherry cake or coffee ice-cream. I'll be working on a trip report in the next day or so.

Although I don't have a dining suggestion for Ashland, if you have 30-40 minutes, I recommend a stop in at the Ashland Winery. They are a 100% organic winery and are producing some good stuff. Don't let the outside appearance deter you. The winery is just outside of downtown, with the detour for street paving it took us about 10 minutes to get there from downtown. You'll have to IM me your favorites if you go!

If you need more dining suggestions, my FIL lives in the area and I could get some recommendations from him. Otherwise, look for my trip report for the places we went to eat and do.

Enjoy your Sammy's trip!

-Genny

It's been almost two years since I've been to Ashland, but I highly agree with the Amuse recommendation. At the time, I was really impressed and thought the food was fresh and delicious. A little pricey but it was worlds better than everything else we ate on that trip.

Megan Woo

IHEARTBACON.COM

Some other options, all of which are worthy dining experiences. Tabu, Thai Pepper, and Il Giardino.

Tabu is Latino fusion. Thai pepper is inventive

Thai, and Marco does a wonderful job with his native Italian at Il Giardino.

If you can be here on a Tuesday, it's the Ashland Grower's Market, all organic and still funky even in the New Armory parking Lot.

I made reservations at Quinz about four days ahead of time. They took my reservation over e-mail. We had a great meal here, but waited over 50 minutes for our salad to arrive. The spinach salad, Swedish meatballs, duck breast and seafood paella were all very good but there were definite service and pacing problems. :) I think we'll check out Amuse or Monet our next visit to Ashland the end of the month.

Hi Rosie, Most places in Ashland are oriented towards serving theatre goers. If you

are able to wait til that crowd has dined, most any restaurant in town should be able to accomodate you. I might suggest you make your selection after you've arrived. You can relax, stroll the downtown and case out the scene on Wednesday, since you're set for that evening. We're really not a big place, though there are plenty more eateries to consider than have been mentioned here.

The Farmer's market is in Medford at the Armory parking lot on Thursday. Same sellers, for the most part, as in Ashland on Tuesday.

There's a really good wine shop attached to Chateaulin where you can get the lowdown on our local attractions.

Edited by bbqboy (log)

Think I will wait till we get there as we will be eating and drinking our way through Oregon and may want something light that night. Will be there on a Thurs. so thanks for the tip on the farmer's market.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I stopped overnight in Ashland in December. I ate at Chateaulin that night by myself (it was just steps from to my hotel) and absolutely loved it. I remember a fantastic, delicious halibut dish and a glass of sauvignon blanc from New Zealand that knocked my socks off.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

http://www.dailytidings.com/2005/0531/053105back.shtml

Andrew, who used to own The Black Sheep, has just opened this little Ashland take on tacos. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the sound of Lobster tacos. Several other new places have opened this year too, so there is exploring to do if one wants to.

Susan at Global Pantry & Pilaf

http://www.pilafrestaurant.com/

could give you a knowledgeable insight into the Ashland food scene, Rosie.

The Outdoor Shakespeare plays have just started, and the Green Show, free in front of the theatres, is fun to catch also.

• 2 weeks later...

We had an excellent meal at Peerless on Tues. night. I had the Pacific Black Mussel salad with artichoke hearts, avocado, frisee, pine nuts and olive oil vinaigrette. It was excellent.

Our entree was the Pan Roasted Oregon Salmon with jasmine rice, sauteedplums, porcini mushrooms, plum verbena sauce. This entree was split and was a nice size portion, no split plate fee that was nice. We shared a glass of the Terrapin Pinot Gris with the salmon.

Dessert was the Hazelnut pot de creme with an orange choclolate wafer cookie, chevre cheese and espresso ice cream. Service was great and the ambiance, very, very nice. The outdoor patio area is gorgeous. We will definitely return. Pricey, but very much worth it. Save your pennies for this one, you won't be disappointed! EC is Patrick O' Toole, from the Ritz in San Francisco and he is doing an outstanding job at Peerless. Located at 265 Fourth Street in Ashland. Cheers! :)

Has anyone tried Larks yet at the Ashland Springs Hotel. It replaced the Bull's Eye Bistro. Would love opinions on this place. It's open for lunch and dinner and has a cafe, also. I want to try it when we're back in Ashland the end of the month. We drove by it and it's gorgeous, ties in much better with the Springs than the decor of the Bull's Eye Bistro did. :)