• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Dough recipe

Matthew Grant

Now I may get flamed from this, but a few weeks ago my parents wanted a good pizza dough, so I asked my boss (read the hello topic if you want to no who I am) about it and he said that he used bakingsoda instead of yeast in pizza dough because while it still poofed up it dident get as airy(sp)....

Has anyone here tried the Pizza recipe from Cook's Illustrated that we designed for the BBQ (in the Summer Grilling 2006 issue)? The dough for it is quite different from what has been discussed here.

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 cup water, room temp

2 cups bread flour, plus more for work surface

1 tbsp whole wheat flour (optional)

2 tsp sugar

1 1/4 tsp table salt

1 tsp instant yeast

This is sort of an old thread, but in the latest issue of Cook's Illustrated, they gave a recipe for the perfect pizza crust.  Their secret is using some cake flour in the recipe. 

Here is a photo demo and the recipe;

http://www.slashfood.com/2006/06/14/cookin...zza-margherita/

1 1/4 tsp instant yeast

1 cup water, room temperature

1 3/4 cups (8 3/4 oz) all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface

1 cup (4 oz) cake flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp sugar

Has anybody got a pizza dough recipe that isn't going to turn out like bread? I want my pizza bases like the ones you get in Pizza express and however many times I try to replicate it I fail, not miserably, but I can't get it quite right :confused:

Matthew, how is your italian understanding?

Try this one

pizza Adriano dal forum di gennarino

Pictures Pizza di Adriano

I would traslate for you but I am leving for Italy tomorrow :biggrin: , if I can manage to leave London

There are a lot of great( and many different) recipes for pizza dough in Peter Reinharts American Pie.

and what a wonderful read this book is! :biggrin:

Just a simple southern lady lost out west...

"Leave Mother in the fridge in a covered jar between bakes. No need to feed her." Jackal10

• 1 month later...
There are a lot of great( and many different) recipes for pizza dough in Peter Reinharts American Pie.

and what a wonderful read this book is! :biggrin:

Cajungirl, CaliPoutine,

Thanks for the pointer - I got my copy of American Pie about two weeks ago and have been baking pizza to beat the band. Its a great read - really gets the juices going (can't recommend reading in bed - too many midnight snacks) and the formulas really hit the spot.

I love the tomato sauce too - made with uncooked tinned tomatoes!

dan

Has anybody got a pizza dough recipe that isn't going to turn out like bread? I want my pizza bases like the ones you get in Pizza express and however many times I try to replicate it I fail, not miserably, but I can't get it quite right :confused:

Matthew, how is your italian understanding?

Try this one

pizza Adriano dal forum di gennarino

Pictures Pizza di Adriano

I would traslate for you but I am leving for Italy tomorrow :biggrin: , if I can manage to leave London

Here I am with the translation form Gennarino.org website of Adriano's pizza.

I still don't know how many thanks on all the Italian forums we owe to Adriano. His pizza is fantastic to bake at home. The dough is great and his tips for baking work very well. He suggestes to put the baking stone on the top rack of the oven as close as possible to the grill (broiler). Turn the oven at the hottest temperature possible, well in advance. When is time to transfer the pizza on the stone, turn the grill on. It will bake perfectly in 4 minutes.

The night before prepare a poolish with 500 g of very high gluten canadian flour, 500 g water and 3 g fresh yeast and a teaspoon of malt if you have. Let proof overnight.

The next morning put the poolish in the mixer and add little by little 270 g of bread flour and 80 g of durum flour, at the end during the mixing add 30 g of evo and 25 g of salt. Let rest 30 minutes. Divide in 200-250 g balls. Put in tapperware kind of container in the coolest part of the refrigerator. At night, 2 hours before baking take out of the fridge.

In this link of Gennarino

look for pizza di Adriano, right under the picture there is also a video on how to shape the pizza: filmato stesura pizza.

I really think is very, very good.

Next time I try it, I'll add a picture.

Franci I totally agree with you , I did this recipe from Gennarino few weeks ago and it was great , the closest I ever get to the italian pizza ( I did roll the pizza dough little bit thinner cause I am from Rome and I like my pizza thin ), but the dough is very nice to work with ,I will post the pics when I get back home.

Definately its a keeper :smile: .

Vanessa

BUBBLES!!!! I love pizzas with big crusty bubbles, one pie in my last batch had a big bubble but that was my husbands. I wish I knew what causes them...I think the dough was cooler when I rolled out his.

yummy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Matthew, try a lower protein flour, or adding a little pastry flour to your regular flour. Gently turn the dough out several times during its rise and fold it over a few times. Don't punch it or bang it on the counter. You want it to become real stretchy (extensible, but I like real stretchy better).

Before you form the crust, allow the dough to rest at least a half hour if your kitchen is around 75 degrees farenheit. If it rests longer, so much the better. If your kitchen is cooler, allow a longer rest.

When you form the crust, do so by gently stretching the dough, not by rolling or pulling. If the dough seems to fight back, cover it and let it rest some more.

Bake at the highest temperature your oven will allow, preferably on a thick stone or unglazed ceramic tile surface. A "pizza stone" is of little use.

I've seen pizzerias here in New York using All Trumps high gluten flour. I can only explain this by reference to all the sitting around the dough does, allowing the gluten to deteriorate. Stretching and resting is what it's all about.

Hi all,

It is easy to replicate and improved version of the hearthkit by using a floor of firebricks (or a pizza stone) and sides from firebrick splits. For less than $40 you have an extra thick HearthKit. Just visit your local brickyard.

Tim

Spend some time down in the Italian regional forum. September's cooking thread is devoted to Campania, the region that gave birth to pizza.

Pizza Napolitana is the eGullet moniker of an Italian expatriate who is extremely knowledgeable on the topic. You might search for contributions from the past that might be of assistance.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath