• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kegger!

I'm going to be having a party, and I want to get a keg. Thing is, I'd like to get something good: say, a small (half or quarter) keg of Yards, Victory or the like. I've been happy in the past with Springfield Beer Distributor, but that's been buying bottles; I've no idea what the keg situation is (there or anywhere else) in terms of availabilty or price.

What's my best bet for a beer distributor in Center City?

i always bought from springfield when i bought beer in kegs. but since i've had a car i've been going to stone's up at 17th & fairmount, because they stock yuengling premium beer in returnables.

the store at 11th & fitz seems to have a half-decent selection as well, as does the one at 2nd & washington.

to tell the truth, i haven't noticed all that much of a difference in center city distributors, except the bizarre center city beer distributor at like 13th & lombard, which appears to be run out of an abandoned rowhouse...

i always bought from springfield when i bought beer in kegs.  but since i've had a car i've been going to stone's up at 17th & fairmount, because they stock yuengling premium beer in returnables.

the store at 11th & fitz seems to have a half-decent selection as well, as does the one at 2nd & washington.

to tell the truth, i haven't noticed all that much of a difference in center city distributors, except the bizarre center city beer distributor at like 13th & lombard, which appears to be run out of an abandoned rowhouse...

They had kegs when I was at Penn and I can't imagine they went out of the keg biz :cool: . I would make that my first stop although I can't vouch for selection. They stopped carrying my fave (Dixie blackened voodoo) and thus I have not been there for a while....

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

Althought it's not quite in CC, Bell Beverage, on Front St just off of 95, carries all of the local beers. It's location has the added benefit of being around the corner from Tony Luke's.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Andrew:

Call me. I have a list of all the drafts that Friedland carries and I may have the Springfield price list too. Friedland carries the Sly Fox beers that everyone loves and Springfield has the Stoudt's products as well, if you're looking for good local microbrews.

You'll have to leave a hefty deposit with whomever you go with since you aren't a "Licensed Establishment", so it'll probably run you $10 for the keg and a nice chunk of change for the tap head. It'll be returned to you when you return the empty and the tap head.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Give Yards a call directly. See what they have in stock. If you can make the trip-it is a little farther than the distributors. I don't think it is official company policy but I know a number of people that have had parties and picked up 1/4 key or a carboy at a very reasonable price.

You'll have to leave a hefty deposit with whomever you go with since you aren't a "Licensed Establishment", so it'll probably run you $10 for the keg and a nice chunk of change for the tap head.  It'll be returned to you when you return the empty and the tap head.

alternately, if you get something that takes a ball tap (as opposed to a prong type, which unfortunately is most everything decent), i have one you can use.

The Yard's Philly Pale Ale is always a good choice.

You should definitely look around and see what your budget buys you, though. There's a LOT of good beer to be had in this town, and since I know you to be the adventurous and analytical sort, I can't imagine you not researching this thoroughly before arriving at a conclusion...

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

In fact, that's my #1 choice. A terrific, easy-drinking summer beer.

You should definitely look around and see what your budget buys you, though.  There's a LOT of good beer to be had in this town, and since I know you to be the adventurous and analytical sort, I can't imagine you not researching this thoroughly before arriving at a conclusion...

You forget, though, I'm also the lazy sort. (Why else would I post here other than to get other people to do my research for me?) Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of going straight to Yard's... EXCEPT that I was also hoping that I could have the keg delivered. (As I said, lazy.) Okay, time to make some calls,

You should definitely look around and see what your budget buys you, though.  There's a LOT of good beer to be had in this town, and since I know you to be the adventurous and analytical sort, I can't imagine you not researching this thoroughly before arriving at a conclusion...

You forget, though, I'm also the lazy sort. (Why else would I post here other than to get other people to do my research for me?) Anyway, thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of going straight to Yard's... EXCEPT that I was also hoping that I could have the keg delivered. (As I said, lazy.) Okay, time to make some calls,

I'll throw in with suggestions:

Flying Fish Farmhouse

Sly Fox Pils

Victory Prima Pils or Brandywine Lager

Yuengling Chesterfield Ale

but I woudl also go with the YArds Philly Pale

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Yuengling Chesterfield Ale

do they still make chesterfield in kegs? the two bars i know of that used to have it (tangier at 18th & lombard, and standard tap) no longer carry it, and in both cases when i asked about it they said yuengling wasn't making it in keg form anymore.

which is a goddamn shame, because it's so much better than lager. it used to be my go-to cheap beer.

Cost of a keg can run you anywhere from about $68 for Yeungling Lager to close to $200 for something foreign and funky. But for anywhere from $75-120 there's a wealth of choices out there.

Springfield definitely has the Yard's Philly Pale Ale 'cuz I've ordered it from them before. They also deliver, at least to restaurants. A "half barrel" as they call it, costs $98. For comparisons sake the cost of some of the other suggestions you've gotten are Victory Prima Pils $106/keg, Sly Fox Rt. 113 IPA $104/keg, a keg of Bass ale will run you about $118. Most kegs are in the $75-125 range. Really big beers and specialty stuff like Stoudt's Abbey Trippel, for example, will cost $143/keg.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Which hardware store are you planning on purchasing the tube and funnel from.. :biggrin: And you could also tape like rough tape on the sides for proper grippage on the keg stands..

This is most definitely a bit out of your way, but the best selection of local and national micros and Belgians in keg form is to be found at the Beer Yard in Wayne (http://beeryard.com). They love good beer there, and they love to help people get it. The store is just a little ways west of 476 on Rte. 30, behind a weird circular Starbucks on the left. Great website, too.

I'm sure Kevin from Stone Beverage will order you a sixtel of whatever is available at the moment. You'll probably have to give him a week heads-up.

You can also call Freidland (215-226-3471 - an importing distributor not open to the public), ask them what sixtels they have, and then have Kevin order one for you .

Freidland will have Yards, Flying Fish, and Sly Fox y mucho mas.

Going to Yards directly is also a good idea.