• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Craving Cobb Salad

destro800

I just finished watching the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where the guy in the wheelchair erroneously claims to be a part of the Cobb Salad legacy -- his grandfather, a chef at the Drake in Chicago was supposed to have invented it....

Anyhow, as we all know, that shit is straight outta the Brown Derby, in LA.

So yeah, here in NYC? Any ideas where I can get a spectacular Cobb Salad? Closer to downtown is better.

The two places I can think of are Shelly's New York which is pretty good, and Sardi's. I've never had Sardi's Cobb, but I know they have one. Whenever I want a Cobb, I make it, but it is a hell of a lot of work. Here is an interesting link if you want to give it a try: Brown Derby Cobb Salad.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

Hi thanks for the rec. I went to Sardi's! It was beyond great. It set about a great trembling in my loins, from which I have yet to recover![...]

Too much information. :raz:

Seriously, I'm glad you liked it.

Michael aka "Pan"

destro800, you weren't kidding when you said you were craving a Cobb Salad! The same thing happened to me. Somehow it entered my consciousness, by TV or after reading something and I was on a mission (like you!). I had a lousy one somewhere, and then I made it and it was great. Then I went to Shelly's and it was fine. I really wanted to go to Sardi's and just never got around to it. I'm so glad it was good! (But as Pan said, TMI)

Obviously, I can go on about Cobbs, as their many variations are a cause for contention, (tomatoes or not, and some say the best dressing is Green Goddess.) But as long as it consists of bacon, chicken, eggs, and avocado, I'm pretty satisfied.

Michael/Pan: Dare we ask The Best: Cobb Salad?

Emma Peel

destro800, you weren't kidding when you said you were craving a Cobb Salad!  The same thing happened to me.  Somehow it entered my consciousness, by TV or after reading something and I was on a mission (like you!).  I had a lousy one somewhere, and then I made it and it was great.  Then I went to Shelly's and it was fine.  I really wanted to go to Sardi's and just never got around to it.  I'm so glad it was good!  (But as Pan said, TMI)

Obviously, I can go on about Cobbs, as their many variations are a cause for contention, (tomatoes or not, and some say the best dressing is Green Goddess.) But as long as it consists of bacon, chicken, eggs, and avocado, I'm pretty satisfied. 

Michael/Pan: Dare we ask The Best: Cobb Salad?

A place in San Luis Obispo, California, Firestone Grill, serves my favorite ever cobb salad. Instead of chicken they use chopped crunchy bits of their famous tri-tip roasts. It's a great salad and Firestone is a great place for cheap eats and beer.

I would like to give a shout out to Island Burger's Cobb Salad. They make it with their very delicious grilled chicken, yum. I work in Midtown and they'll deliver to 6th Ave., as do so many of the Ninth Avenue restaurants (they're at 52nd Street). Much less formal than Sardi's or Shelly's but oh so tasty!

Okay, I know a Cobb Salad is technically supposed to be turkey, but who cares?

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four

A couple of years back I tried a new place in my neighborhood, Murray Hill. The place came and went so fast I can't recall the name. Anyway the Cobb Salad arrived with apples, walnuts, blue cheese, celery...I told the manager/owner, I think, loitering nearby that it wasn't a Cobb Salad. He spoke to the chef who assured him that it was a Cobb. I understand variations, but I think this was closer to a Waldorf. Sort of remined me of Fawlty Towers. No wonder the place didn't last very long.

BTW, he didn't change the salad, which I ate anyway. I did get a glass of wine comped.

And in order to be a true Cobb, don't forget the crumbled bleu cheese and, most importantly, the watercress.

My brother has become famous among his friends for his Cobb Salad. He's on W. 92nd. Head over there, shout "Bruce!" and he might invite you up.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

And in order to be a true Cobb, don't forget the crumbled bleu cheese and, most importantly, the watercress...

Yep, you're right, the crumbled blue cheese brings it all together and really makes it delicious. I should have remembered to add it. The watercress is certainly a fine green to add as well.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

I agree that the best Cobb salad is made at home. Try this link for recipe: http://www.thefoodmaven.com/radiorecipes/cobb_salad.html.

"Some ladies smoke too much and some ladies drink too much and some ladies pray too much, but all ladies think that they weigh too much."

From a poem by Ogden Nash - Curl Up and Diet

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished watching the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where the guy in the wheelchair erroneously claims to be a part of the Cobb Salad legacy -- his grandfather, a chef at the Drake in Chicago was supposed to have invented it....

Anyhow, as we all know, that shit is straight outta the Brown Derby, in LA.

So yeah, here in NYC? Any ideas where I can get a spectacular Cobb Salad? Closer to downtown is better.

I had a pretty good Cobb Salad at Morrells Wine Bar in Rockefeller Center