• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Flushing Dim Sum

markk

It seems that people are saying that Flushing has the best dim sum in the city, yet as far as I can tell, nobody is saying exactly WHERE.

Does anybody have names for where they think the best Dim Sum in Flushing is served?

Does anybody have any suggestions for better Dim Sum in New York?

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I like Silver Pond (718) 463-2888, 5650 Main St, but there is usually no reason for me to go there unless I am visiting family in that area because we have a very good branch in Fort Lee as well as China 46. However, the Dim Sum restaurant in the East Buffet building (718) 353-6333 on 4201 Main Street looks like it is really good, just by seeing how packed it is every time we go.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I haven't eaten at Silver Pond in a long time, because it's convenient to the LIE but not the subway, but years ago when I used to have dinner there in the late 80s/early 90s, it was really terrific! So it's not surprising to me that they would also serve excellent dim sum.

If you want to check out a place closer to the Main St. 7 stop, though, consider Prince Restaurant.

I doubt that you'll find better dim sum in Manhattan than in Flushing. You might find better dim sum in Brooklyn, though I cannot yet state that with first-hand knowledge.

Michael aka "Pan"

It was your Prince posting that made me ask this in the first place.

I can't say that this is the most scientific round-up (summation, I mean) but it seems to me from reading the various threads that everybody is saying that Flushing has the best dim sum, but nobody suggests an actual place by name. So that prompted me, to see if people were going to suggest a dim sum parlor that's even better than Prince (which certainly sounds great).

I've also heard good things about Ocean Port in Brooklyn, and would welcome comments about the Brooklyn dim sum scene.

Some friends from out of town have asked me what's the best dim sum in NYC and I'm trying to research this for them.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Opening time to 2 P.M. or so (possibly until 2:30 in some places), but it's best to arrive well before 1 P.M. if possible -- certainly before 1:30. The earlier you get there, the fresher the food and the more choices you're likely to have.

Michael aka "Pan"

You know, I'd love to know the answer to this thread as well. So far, I have only eaten at dim sum at Jing Fong in Manhattan. But I would eventually like to try dim sum somewhere else. According to some past threads on Chowhound, Gum Fung and East Manor are good in Flushing....

--Janet (GG)

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

• 5 months later...

I do not feel qualified to say what is the *best* dim sum in Flushing is but I did go to Gum Fung last week and thought it was very good. A big plus is that parking is very easy with a municipal lot across the street.

For comaprison, the Manhattan dim sum restaurants I have been to are Jing Fong and Golden Unicorn. I think they are both very good also with a slight edge to Jing Fong. I have yet to find any NY place that can compare to places on the west coast.

Enjoy!

Keba

FYI:

Gum Fung Restaurant

136-28 39th Avenue

Flushing

718-762-8821

Has anybody been to "gm" at 37-02 Main St. Flushing, NY 11354. Tel. 718-888-9293I? I have not, but a chinese friend mentioned it as a palce to try.

Yup, I have. I would highly recommend going. It's a very large place with lots of dim and many interesting dishes to offer. I had a flaky durian pastry there when I first went in October with some friends after practice. The pastry was well made, flaky and not too oily and the durian flavor was quite pronounced - which is good if you like durian.

I'm sure my dining companions appreciated my breath after I ate that sucker. :laugh:

Oh and they do offer Iron Kun Yin tea - very nice!

Edited by Gastro888 (log)

• 8 months later...

Any updates on the Flushing dim sum scene? Coming in for the U.S. Open and staying in the area, so hoping for some good eats. Open to overall recommendations, and also wondering if any restaurants serve early dim sum (like 9am) or offer early discounts (Vancouver is known for good early dim sum opportunities).

• 3 months later...
Any updates on the Flushing dim sum scene? Coming in for the U.S. Open and staying in the area, so hoping for some good eats. Open to overall recommendations, and also wondering if any restaurants serve early dim sum (like 9am) or offer early discounts (Vancouver is known for good early dim sum opportunities).

Can we update this thread? Would like to take some sophisticated foodie out of towners for dim sum and would like some recommendations. Is it worth driving to Flushing? If so where. If not, where in Chinatown (Manhattan)?

It's definitely worth going to Flushing, even if for something other than dim sum (such as the great Sichuan-style food at Spicy & Tasty).

Dim sum in Flushing (and the "Outer Boroughs" generally) is much more extensively covered on Chowhound. My suggestion to you is, look through some of these search results:

Chowhound "Flushing dim sum" search results

Pick some places that look good and report back on your experiences.

For the record, Gum Fung, which has been mentioned in this thread, has still been getting high marks in recent Chowhound posts.

I think it's pretty likely that the best dim sum in the city is now at Chinatown Brasserie, but it costs over four times as much as you'd pay in Chinatown, and perhaps up to eight times as much as you'd pay in Flushing.

Michael aka "Pan"

My current favorite for dim sum in Flushing is Gala Manor. It is on 37th Avenue between Main and Prince. It is on the second floor with a direct entrance on 37th Avenue. There is also an entrance on Main Street via a small mall with an elevator to the restaurant.

They have a pretty large selection that has always been fresh when I've been there.

• 4 weeks later...
It's definitely worth going to Flushing, even if for something other than dim sum (such as the great Sichuan-style food at Spicy & Tasty).

Dim sum in Flushing (and the "Outer Boroughs" generally) is much more extensively covered on Chowhound. My suggestion to you is, look through some of these search results:

Chowhound "Flushing dim sum" search results

Pick some places that look good and report back on your experiences.

For the record, Gum Fung, which has been mentioned in this thread, has still been getting high marks in recent Chowhound posts.

I think it's pretty likely that the best dim sum in the city is now at Chinatown Brasserie, but it costs over four times as much as you'd pay in Chinatown, and perhaps up to eight times as much as you'd pay in Flushing.

Reporting back on Gum Fun. I went with two others. The restaurant is quite attractive and service is efficient. The dim sum was so-so. The best dishes were those with seafood that was quickly cooked and sauced, i.e. clams with brown sauce or baby octopus with XO sauce. A scallop dish was very overcooked.The Chinese veg was good as well. The dishes that were not memorable were those with fish or seafood paste. They had no taste and the paste's origin was not evident. I would go back again to try more items but may go to Gala Manor first.

I found this place not nearly as good as Dim Sum Gogo, and quite a bit better that Ping's.