• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Specialty shopping in burbs

Anyone care to contribute their favourite spots to shop for specialty ingredients outside of Vancouver? I'm always looking for European style gourmet shops since after my move to S. Surrey (aka my "exile") I'm really missing my trips to Bosa, the Italian Market, European Specialty on Prior, Famous Foods and The Drive.

Here are mine:

Greco's on King George Hwy., Surrey

Country Boy Fine Sausage & Delicatessen, 93rd and Scott, Delta

So far, I haven't found others. If anyone cares to oblige, I'd be eternally grateful!

:wub:

Well...my mom still lives in North Delta and she comes into the city for most things. I would become friends with your car and venture into the city every couple of weeks for the good stuff.

Of course, I will ask her if she has found anything good in the burbs.

I think that the South African store that I like going to on the North Shore has a branch in Surrey (in fact, I think that it is there main store).

I think the web site is www.sasausages.com - great selection of Biltong (South African Beef Jerky - its good), sausages, and marinated meats - also lots of european (british slant) groceries.

I stopped by the Vista d'Oro open house today to check out their new Farmgate shop, and it looks like a decent place for those in the Langley-ish area (4th and 208th). They've got a freezer full of Kiwi Pie co. meat pies, a good selection of C crackers and salts/herbs, and a nice little cheese selection, including some adorable buttons of chevre with rind for $3/ea.

While the selection of gourmet warehouse-style products is good but small, Farmgate really shines in its stock of potted herbs. They had a ton of plants for sale, some of which I'd never even heard of, and they had some nice heirloom tomatoes as well. I am hopeless in the garden, but for those of you who are capable of raising a plant successfully, I would recommend a visit.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I stopped by the Vista d'Oro open house today to check out their new Farmgate shop, and it looks like a decent place for those in the Langley-ish area (4th and 208th).

Oooo...we were there too! I thought they had a nice selection of things, but hey, it's way overpriced. But that kind of thing generally is. I picked up a bag of 50 toothpick sized skewers made of bamboo...figured I'd get a couple of bags because the local dollar store doesn't get them anymore. Yeah, right. I dropped them like a hot rock when I saw the $15 price tag. $15!!!! for bamboo toothpicks!!! Who are they trying to kid?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten