• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Bakeries

zhelder

As I've mentioned before, I'm a frugal eGulleter. I like to indulge once in a while, but for the most part, I'm no frills. Bakeries have gotten very expensive lately, and I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of good, cheap bakeries in NJ. Here are my picks:

Belmont Bakery, North Haledon: This little bakery seems to be in the middle of nowhere, but it's a great little bakery, worth the 10 mile trip for me from Waldwick. They are on the small side, so they don't have as much variety as larger bakeries, but they have some very good stuff at phenomenal prices. Cookies are about $6.50 a pound, cakes are around $8.00, and cream pies are about $5.50. Unbeatable prices, especially on the cakes. Friendly staff, not usually very busy.

Corrados, Clifton: They're cheap. Very cheap. But you may have to deal with large, annoying crowds, inadequate staff, and the quality of the stuff varies greatly. Still, if you get there early and buy the right items, there are some great bargains to be had. Butter cookies are about $5.00 a pound, but are not the world's greatest. Cakes tend to be around $7-$8, and most are decent. Cannolis are also pretty good.

ShopRite, Ramsey: This may be the best supermarket bakery in the country. Great cakes, cookies, and pastries. They have raised prices on many things quite a bit in the past year, but the prices are still very good. Cookies are $5.99 a pound and are excellent, especially the chocolate chip cookies. Cakes vary in price, but most seem to hover around the $10 mark, and they're delicious. Definitely good bakery quality.

Calandra's, Fairfield: OK, technically I would describe Calandra's as a "moderately-priced" bakery, but they get on the cheap list for two reasons: they run a 50% off item every week, and if you subscribe to their e-mail list, they send you coupons for 50% off your entire order (with a few exclusions) about every 3-4 months. They're quite large, and have a wide variety of cakes, pastries, and breads. Their bread is excellent, and their cakes are very good as well. Their cookie selection is kind of lousy, but their other stuff is very good. Cakes average around the $12-$14 range normally, but with the coupons and or/specials, they come out to about $6-$7. It's a far ride for me, but sometimes it's worth the trip when they're running a special.

There's my list for now. What other good, cheap bakeries can be found in NJ?

At least you have figured out to stay out of the bakery in town ....I actually worked there for 3 whole days..

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Yes, I'm all for cheaper bakeries, but it depends on how much you want to compromise in quality, and what you can settle for. I would also break up bakeries into two categories: 1/Bread, and 2/Cakes and Pastry. For bread, it's fairly cheap anyway, so why not get the best? IMHO one of the top places for bread and rolls is Balthazar in Englewood.

As far as pastry, that is more difficult to find when you are cutting costs. An acceptable bakery with decent pastries at low prices is Mazurs on Ridge Road in Lyndhurst.

As far as Costco or Corrados, I would rather do without than get their baked goods!!

• 4 weeks later...

Tony and Vinnie's on Rt. 46 in Rockaway is a good Italian Deli/bakery. They're part of the Callandra family, but make their own bread and pastries on site, and I personally think they're much better than Callandra's.

The Swiss Chalet on South Street in Morristown was always our go-to place for cakes. They do both buttercream and whipped cream icings. However, I heard that it was closing about a year about (not from a really reliable source though), and have not been in that part of Morristown since. It would be unfortunate if they did actually close.

The Viking Bakery on First Ave. in Denville is and aways will be my mother's favorite for just about everything, but this is expected because she grew up in Denville. I can't think of anything I've personally had from there, but I totally trust my mother's judgement, especially when it comes to baked goods.

Another one in the MoCo area is JC's Italian bakery on Rt 46 in Parsippany and is quite good. They make a wide variety of baked goods.

Edited by keeperrox (log)

Sorrento's (Main Street) Lodi -- not on the sme line as say B&B but fair prices, a decent cannoli for a dollar or just over, and a healthy russian coffee cake. .. this time of year they may have homemade icecream --

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler

As I've mentioned before, I'm a frugal eGulleter. I like to indulge once in a while, but for the most part, I'm no frills. Bakeries have gotten very expensive lately, and I thought it would be a good idea to make a list of good, cheap bakeries in NJ. Here are my picks:

Belmont Bakery, North Haledon: This little bakery seems to be in the middle of nowhere, but it's a great little bakery, worth the 10 mile trip for me from Waldwick.  They are on the small side, so they don't have as much variety as larger bakeries, but they have some very good stuff at phenomenal prices. Cookies are about $6.50 a pound, cakes are around $8.00, and cream pies are about $5.50. Unbeatable prices, especially on the cakes. Friendly staff, not usually very busy.

Corrados, Clifton: They're cheap. Very cheap. But you may have to deal with large, annoying crowds, inadequate staff, and the quality of the stuff varies greatly. Still, if you get there early and buy the right items, there are some great bargains to be had. Butter cookies are about $5.00 a pound, but are not the world's greatest. Cakes tend to be around $7-$8, and most are decent. Cannolis are also pretty good.

ShopRite, Ramsey: This may be the best supermarket bakery in the country. Great cakes, cookies, and pastries. They have raised prices on many things quite a bit in the past year, but the prices are still very good. Cookies are $5.99 a pound and are excellent, especially the chocolate chip cookies. Cakes vary in price, but most seem to hover around the $10 mark, and they're delicious. Definitely good bakery quality.

Calandra's, Fairfield: OK, technically I would describe Calandra's as a "moderately-priced" bakery, but they get on the cheap list for two reasons: they run a 50% off item every week, and if you subscribe to their e-mail list, they send you coupons for 50% off your entire order (with a few exclusions) about every 3-4 months. They're quite large, and have a wide variety of cakes, pastries, and breads. Their bread is excellent, and their cakes are very good as well. Their cookie selection is kind of lousy, but their other stuff is very good. Cakes average around the $12-$14 range normally, but with the coupons and or/specials, they come out to about $6-$7. It's a far ride for me, but sometimes it's worth the trip when they're running a special.

There's my list for now. What other good, cheap bakeries can be found in NJ?

For the money: I would agree with Rosie on Costco; breads are excellent as are the rolls. Their sheet cakes are among the best of any I've had at many of the mediocre bakeries anywhere in Essex/Bergen area.

Shop Rite of West Caldwell brought in a baker from Italy and thus most of their cakes and pastries are quite excellent. I don't have prices or specifics right now.

Being in the Verona area, the local bakery, DiPaolo's, is frequented due to convenience, however, they have an excellent selection and variety of fresh breads/rolls, about 10 varieties of biscottie and a dozen or so flavors of fresh breadsticks. Again, prices are not on the tip of my fingers, but I can get them if you are interested.

• 8 months later...

I've seen mentioned by Christine Nunn of Picnic and maybe it was Chef Gary of Silver Oak Bistro or someone else? Something about Balthazar bakery... I think I drove by it last weekend when driving through Englewood when I made a wrong turn and had to take a parallell back street going the other "one way". HOWEVER the website listed by a few didn't work. It's ok though!

HELP please! :wub: (Mmmm I loved their bread with black olives!) YUMMY! :wub:

Edited for info I found from thread - RP - thanks curlz!

Balthazar Bakery Wholesale Division Retail Outlet

214 South Dean Street

Englewood, NJ 07631

201-503-9717 phone

201-503-9721 fax

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, Mon-Fri, 8 AM - 4 PM Sat, closed Sunday. However, if it slows down earlier, they may close earlier, so best to call ahead.

Edited by Anonymouze (log)

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Firstly, I thing the phrase "good cheap bakeries" is an oxymoron. Good bakeries are never cheap.

Secondly, we have done a whole thread on Balthazar, they have been open for 3-4 years in Englewood, selling retail in a little shop in front of the factory. I think everything is fabulous there! Gallettes, tarts, cakes, and ahhh, the breads! My favorite is the raisin-pecan dark bread. Baguettes, brioches, pain au chocolat, need I say more. Get there!

Firstly, I thing the phrase "good cheap bakeries" is an oxymoron.  Good bakeries are never cheap. 

Secondly, we have done a whole thread on Balthazar, they have been open for 3-4 years in Englewood, selling retail in a little shop in front of the factory.  I think everything is fabulous there!  Gallettes, tarts, cakes, and ahhh, the breads!  My favorite is the raisin-pecan dark bread.  Baguettes, brioches, pain au chocolat, need I say more.  Get there!

Thanks Menton! Damn you, you're making me hungry... HUNGRY! GrrRRrrrr!

Anyone have a link to the Balthazar thread I couldn't find it. Thanks! ANYONE?! :blink:

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

My favorite bakery for cakes is La Bonbonniere on Rt 27 in Edison. I pay an average of $20 for a cake there, but I honestly feel it's worth it. If need be I'd stop buying cake half the time to afford theirs. It might not be the cheapest, but to me it's the best value and cake is an inherently indulgent dessert. I've spent $22 on a cake elsewhere and been extremely dissapointed but there's no way a bakery selling a cake for $8 could match the value a La Bonbonniere cake provides. T I don't mean to come across as snobbish. I adore twinkies and love $1.37 soft pretzels from Quick Check, but when it comes to cake I can't settle for cheap. If I'm gonna eat something horrible for me I don't want cheap, I want sinfully delicious.

For a cheaper bakery, I have heard a lot of good things about Mazur's Bakery on Ridge Road (main drag) in Lyndhurst. Has an enormous loyal following. Not the same style as a place like Balthazar, but it is a long-established business. Lots of praise from locals. Any hands-on reports about Mazur's?

Hands on, teeth on... :biggrin: Here's the only issue, though--I'm really not a sweet eater, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I'll tell you what I know.

I think their prices are reasonable for most of the items I've purchased, but I also stick to a few regular things...I happen to like their birthday cakes (I go for whipped cream--not buttercream) with the choc mousse filling; love their pignoli cookies (NOT cheap--never are--something like $14/lb), and they make a few custard-filled tarts that I've always enjoyed. Black and white cookies...cannoli...crumb cakes...decent foccacia on the few occasions I have bought it...

What I'm certain of is that every time I've brought goodies from Mazur's in to my office, people go apesh*t. Is that a good sign? :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hands on, teeth on...  :biggrin:  Here's the only issue, though--I'm really not a sweet eater, so I'm probably not the best judge, but I'll tell you what I know. 

I think their prices are reasonable for most of the items I've purchased, but I also stick to a few regular things...I happen to like their birthday cakes (I go for whipped cream--not buttercream) with the choc mousse filling; love their pignoli cookies (NOT cheap--never are--something like $14/lb), and they make a few custard-filled tarts that I've always enjoyed.  Black and white cookies...cannoli...crumb cakes...decent foccacia on the few occasions I have bought it...

What I'm certain of is that every time I've brought goodies from Mazur's in to my office, people go apesh*t.  Is that a good sign?  :laugh:

No, it's that they love free food...lol

Kidding aside, to tell the truth, I've never cared much for their stuff.

I finally got to Balthazar today after class.

I picked up a chocolate "muffin" type bread, some small package of cookies and since they were out of the bread I got the 6 dinner-style rolls with chopped olive in them and 1 hot cross bun which I didn't care too much for, it wasn't sweet enough for me I should have gotten the sticky bun! They charge a bit more than your supermarket but the quality and freshness is far superior. :cool:

For a cheaper bakery, I have heard a lot of good things about Mazur's Bakery on Ridge Road (main drag) in Lyndhurst.  Has an enormous loyal following.  Not the same style as a place like Balthazar, but it is a long-established business.  Lots of praise from locals.  Any hands-on reports about Mazur's?

In my opinion, Lyndhurst Pastry Shop is better...although they don't have the selection that Mazur's does. It's also on Ridge Rd., right down the block from Mazur's.

In my opinion, Lyndhurst Pastry Shop is better...although they don't have the selection that Mazur's does. It's also on Ridge Rd., right down the block from Mazur's.

Well, I did say that I'm not a good judge of bakeries, 'cause sugar's not my thing. :raz:

Pete is right--LPS is smaller, but what he didn't mention is that they also have homemade italian ice there, and do a TON of business in that part of the store in the warmer weather! They also carry those classic italian cookies that are covered with sesame seeds, and Mazur's doesn't. I have no clue of the name, but they're more like a biscuit than a cookie, not super sweet, and are most excellent with a cuppa something. :biggrin:

Well, I did say that I'm not a good judge of bakeries, 'cause sugar's not my thing. :raz:

Pete is right--LPS is smaller, but what he didn't mention is that they also have homemade italian ice there, and do a TON of business in that part of the store in the warmer weather! They also carry those classic italian cookies that are covered with sesame seeds, and Mazur's doesn't. I have no clue of the name, but they're more like a biscuit than a cookie, not super sweet, and are most excellent with a cuppa something. :biggrin:

Definitely...LPS gets mobbed in the summer for their Italian ices. Another good one in my 'hood is Gencarelli's in Bloomfield. They also have those cookies that I think you're talking about (pignoli). There's a pic of them on their site.

Sugarflake Bakery on Westwood Avenue in Westwood about <50 feet from the Kinderkamack light is real good for Ruggelach and Hamentashen. :wub:

(Forgive me if I mis-spelled - I'm kind of sleepy from not sleeping enough lately!)

So is the Runcible Spoon in the Eastern part of Nyack at the END of Route 59 (make a left at light go 1 block!) and they make SUPERB cakes and eclectic sandwiches and finger sandwiches. They are always busy on Fridays & Wknds.

Definitely...LPS gets mobbed in the summer for their Italian ices. Another good one in my 'hood is Gencarelli's in Bloomfield. They also have those cookies that I think you're talking about (pignoli). There's a pic of them on their site.

Pignoli cookies are an almond paste cookie with pignoli nuts. These are oval shaped cookies with sesame seeds all over them. As an Italian, I should know the name. I don't, but I will certainly find out. As for the LP italian ice, the vanilla or "yum yum" as we call it is especially good.