• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pastrys Best Magazine

FWED

I just happened upon this new pastry magazine called "Pastrys Best Magazine" and wondered if anyone else had seen it and what they thought of it. It can be found at www.pastrynet.com.

Fred Rowe

I like it. The online pdf seems a bit high level but I guess this is the first issue and it is really nice to sort of get a clipping and translation service on the best international sources like Thuries, Pasticceria Internazionale, etc.

I am looking forward to seeing more.

I met with the editor, David Kee- last summer while with Marvelous Markets, he helped develop Dairylands new product line up. Magazine has nice layout, although much probably due to it being a maiden copy has been taken from existing material out there. I will be developing something in the 3 rd quarter myself, albeit, somewhat more comprehensive, keep your eyes peeled, it will be advertised in Pastry arts and Design later this year.

This is great!

More mags to read and get inspired by.

Like it all.

Nice stuff there.

Anybody else sign up?

It would be nice to see a number, meaning anyone who signs up to the site or ordered the mag ( it appears to be free) and are reading this thread, post that you did.

Thanks.

2317/5000

Ted. I signed up for the site and the magazine. Its only 10 days old so its really and infant but it has promise. The more sources of information and inspiration we have the better. I must admit I even read the newsletters from pastry product purveyors looking for ideas. I may not use their products but If I get an idea that I can use its worth it. Lets face it no one web site or forum is going to be all things to all people and we need all the sources of information we can get. Each web site has its own pluses and minuses.

Fred Rowe

I signed up and it arrived very quickly. Within days. It's not as much an alternative in my mind as a taste of many. It has one article from six or seven different magazines that are out there. I should have brought it to work with me so I could put in the list of magazines. I'm wondering if all the other magazines it lists are in english or not. It's nice though. I like it.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

• 5 months later...

I recieved my free copy of this magazine yesterday and had to come here and give HUGE Kudos to them!

This issue hits a home run, big time!

They are putting out a professional magazine written by pro.s and geared for pro.'s. It's just want I want in a trade magazine!!!!! Every page has content I want to study. Every ad (which there are very few) is well done.

Where to start...........

First page has a full page ad for Dobla.....show's beautiful pastries and then it tells me I can get a free copy of doblas catalog which includes recipes and concepts as well as info on using their products. THAT'S AN AD! I need to get my hands on that catalog. They reach out to their consumers very well and really make me interested in trying their products.

Then the editors letter reaches out to the reader with sincere effort.

Then another great dobla ad.

Followed by, The Technical Side of the National Pastry Team Championships written by Chris Northmore.........that's just auesome! They show photos and explain what new techniques were used...........a real behind the scenes look that I've always longed for. I'd love to see something like this written on every culinary event and competition.

They've got Anil Rohira contributing!

Then you get a glimpse of Thuries Gastrononie Magazine in a multiple page article on incorporating saffron in your desserts with recipes. (I've got to subscribe to this magazine)

Next up is Pasticceria Internazionale magazines articles with beautiful photos of panettones. (I've got to subscribe to this magazine too)

Last clip from another magazine is from American Cake Decorating, teaching gelatin flowers. (I already subscribe to them)

Good god........then we get two recipes from Joel Bellouet and Jean-Michel Perruchon'! Outstanding.........

Next page has Accentuate your Chocolate Flair with a 'how to' by Stephane Glacier..........again auesome. (I've got to buy his book)

Next, making Textured Mats, made easy by Michael Joy..........my heart is racing.........this is sooo cool! (I've got to buy his book)

Then we get a article and recipes by our own Mitch Stamm on pretzels!

If they can keep this up I'd say we've finally got a magazine that we wanted. My hats off to Pastry's Best Magazine, their title might be true.

I hope I get mine soon. The last PA&D really dissapointed me. I keep seeing the same old stuff. And the new things just didn't get my attention like I wanted it to.

Sweet Bliss? Just not doing it for me.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

The name of the magazine is the title of this thread: "Pastry's Best". You can ask for a copy at www.pastrysbest.com

It's distributors list: European Imports, Chef Source, Las Vegas Gourmet, Chef's Warehouse, Mirabella Foods, Koerner Company, Dairyland, Harry Wils, Eurosource Gourmet, Culinary Source, BK Enterprises, Peterson Company.

I finally got my Sept./Nov. issue of P A & D, it's my favorite issue of the year! It's got their coverage of their event The National Pastry Team Championship. They did a couple pages that show how to make some of the sugar items made in the competition.............so that's way cool to have that insight (I'd love to see even more)! I've had great sucess in the past reproducing the recipes offered by the various teams published in this issue.........so I'm looking forward to making and tasting what the best were making.

Thanks, Wendy! I've been to their website and ordered my copy. Nice website, too. I hope they can light a fire under PA&D to get them back on track, as well. Getting September's issue in November has become typical for them, but it's the only magazne we've had, until now.

I hope I get mine soon.  The last PA&D really dissapointed me.  I keep seeing the same old stuff.  And the new things just didn't get my attention like I wanted it to.

Sweet Bliss?  Just not doing it for me.

Haven't received mine yet either, but from Wendy's enthusiasm, it seems that they are improving.

The very 1st issue didn't really have much to offer in my opinion, but the 2nd one was better, so hopefully the 3rd and future issues will continue to be good.

I also just picked up the newest issue of PA&D, and although good, I would have liked to have seen more about the competitors.

And on a side note, I did check out another magazine that had an article on the Ritz Carlton Lake Las Vegas, and I was surprised to find out that Pat Coston is the new Exec. Pastry chef there. From what I had read and heard in the past, his chocolate company in NY sounded like it was really well received and was going to take off, but I guess not.

Jason

Glad to see the how to section on the gelatin flowers. They've been all the rage over at cakecentral.com. And the photo of Tariq Hanna's chocolate showpiece right below Anil's picture is one that I wanted to post here but all my photos are posting black in the image gullet. :hmmm: I love the way they took the showpieces and cakes from the challenges and displayed them in various parts of the hotel like the wonderful pieces of art that they are. Awesome photo! It was one of my favorite pieces that week. The magazine is getting better as is goes along. Good job! :smile:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

too bad its free neil, then you could make them pay for it :laugh:

I just got my issue today, and love it. I love being reminded that theres so much out there I don't know how to do. That means I'll never run out of something to learn.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Wendy, thank you for posting about the magazine. Earlier this year I compiled a 'complete' list of food magazines, but hadn't heard of that one. But I have added it now. If anyone is interested, I posted the entire list (split up into 'trade' & 'civilian' lists) in this thread.

-Greg

Wendy,

I think that David is committed to providing a first rate journal for PCs and bakers. I haven't seen the issue yet. Press date for the next issue is end of Dec., so there should be another issue shortly thereafter. I won't have internet access for another week, but it was cool catching up on everything today. Gottagoeatsomebread..........................

I was glad to see PA&D focus on some techniques as well. I have to say that I always appreciate Keegan as an MC because he always gives a heads up when he sees a great technique and explains to the crowd what the competitor is doing and why. I think foodnetwork is catching on more and more that we want to see technique as well as ooh and aaah over the pieces being made. And on a side note, FWED made his debute in this PA&D. (okay just the back of his head, but twice!) At the bottom of the two page Amoretti spread you can see the famous straw hat. Hey FWED, can I get an autograph? :wub:

And David did come in and check what was going on here since so many people signed up all of a sudden and he said he's very happy to see that we are enjoying his magazine. Looking forward to the next one!

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org