• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendation for dinner tonite

Depending on how busy they are... Ray's the Steaks (dine be reservation only),

Bankok54, or Black Salt are fantastic as well.

(afterthought, Firefly is a can't-miss)

... oops, didn't notice the geographic preference the first time.

Labanese Taverna is nice...

My pref for Italian is Ristorante Bonaroti's (a few minutes south of Tyson's on Chain Bridge/123)

- CSR

Edited by C_Ruark (log)
"There's something very Khmer Rouge about Alice Waters that has become unrealistic." - Bourdain; interviewed on dcist.com

I have had good luck at the Lebanese Taverna at Tyson's II. It has been pretty consistent and a nice space.

Shamshiry is a Persian place known for its kabobs and rices.

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

Black Salt is about a 12-15 minute drive from Tyson's depending on traffic. For Friday and Saturday night they now have a one month wait for a table unless you go before 5:30 and take one of their first come first serve tables in front. I still maintain this is on par with Kinkead's at its best based on, now, seven or eight dinners and lunches there.

Shamshiry is in Tyson's on, I believe, Westwood drive by the Cadillac dealership. It is, by far, the best Persian restaurant in the D. C. area with exemplery rice (five or six varieties), bone in kabobs, salmon kabob (their best) etc. It is a full service restaurant that is enormously popular. I've shared several lunches there with groups from the other board over the years. Everyone has raved about it.

I like Bonaroti, too. It's not Obelisk, Tosca or Maestro of course but it's very good. Note that it's become fairly expensive with entrees in the 20's. It's also very popular and you may have difficulty with a reservation.

If you can go early-drive to Black Salt.

Shamshiry is in Tyson's on, I believe, Westwood drive by the Cadillac dealership.  It is, by far, the best Persian restaurant in the D. C. area with exemplery rice (five or six varieties), bone in kabobs, salmon kabob (their best) etc.  It is a full service restaurant that is enormously popular.  I've shared several lunches there with

Thanks Joe -- we cant go till late.. how expensive is this place?

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Shamshiry is in Tyson's on, I believe, Westwood drive by the Cadillac dealership.  It is, by far, the best Persian restaurant in the D. C. area with exemplery rice (five or six varieties), bone in kabobs, salmon kabob (their best) etc.  It is a full service restaurant that is enormously popular.  I've shared several lunches there with

Thanks Joe -- we cant go till late.. how expensive is this place?

Cheap.

Serious.

Salmon kabobs are something like $11 or 12 but outstanding. There is NO ONE in the D. C. area that is doing rice dishes like they. For example one of their featured rices is with orange peel, pistachios and almonds. Forgive my linking this but it should be helpful:

http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/Profiles/shamshiry.html

There is not a great deal of ambience in the room. But if you have not been you should seriously consider it. Lebanese Taverna is good, too. But Shamshiry is the standard by which all other Persian restaurants are measured locally.