• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crawfish Fest this weekend--Sussex County

pennbrew

Greetings Guy. Long time no see!

Who cooked those things? I would think it would be hard to find a 500lb rig up there.

What kind of beer were they serving? Were they any good? Did they know what to do with them? What else did they have with them? Where did they come from?

Brooks

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Greetings Guy. Long time no see!

Who cooked those things? I would think it would be hard to find a 500lb rig up there.

What kind of beer were they serving? Were they any good? Did they know what to do with them? What else did they have with them? Where did they come from?

Brooks

I guess I didn't separate the link to the website well enough, here it is:

Crawfish Fest

It's all brought up from Louisiana, cooked on site like a mini Jazz-Fest.

Food includes: Enjoy fresh Boiled live Louisiana Crawfish, Crawfish Bread, Shrimp Creole, Crawfish Bread, Crawfish Pie, Alligator Sausage, Jambalaya, Southern Fried Chicken and the other great dishes on our Menu. New this year is Hot Roast Beef and Couchon de Lait Po-Boys, Crawfish Bisque and an Oyster Bar. We will bring up 5 tons of live Crawfish. Vegetarian dishes include Grilled Portabella Mushroom on a Wheat Bun, Vegetarian Jambalaya and Red Beans and Rice.

Music includes: Buckwheat Zydeco, Papa Grows Funk, The subdudes, The Funky Meters, Sonny Landreth,

Rebirth Brass Band, Nathan & The Zydeco Cha Chas

Red Stick Ramblers, Leroy Thomas and the Zydeco Roadrunners and Swampadelica

I'll be there Saturday!

---Guy

P.S. the beer sucks...

That looks like a pretty swinging party. How can you beat crawfish, couchon de lait po boys, Sonny Landreth (the best slide guitar player in the world, bar none) . and all of those other guys for that price? I think that if you are within a 2 hour drive that you should be there or be square (or you could be both-but you should be there),

That looks like a pretty swinging party. How can you beat crawfish, couchon de lait po boys, Sonny Landreth (the best slide guitar player in the world, bar none) . and all of those other guys for that price? I think that if you are within a 2 hour drive that you should be there or be square (or you could be both-but you should be there),

I can't believe I'm gonna miss this. I'll be busy cooking at Egan's in Montclair. But everybody else in their right mind should be there. Crawfish??? Buckwheat Zydeco???

Why didn't we learn about this earlier??? Think I'll run a special Ribeye with crawfish Bourbon sauce in honor of this....

By the way, guys, where have your French gone? It's "Cochon", not "couchon" (suckling pig).

Edited by Franky2Times (log)

According to the web site:

We will be serving Budweiser, Michelob Ultra ,Michelob Amber Bock, Bacardi Silver, O'Doul's. New this year Koala Creek Wine Chardonnay and Shiraz.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This should be a fun event. Hope the weather holds up tomorrow!

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

According to the web site:

We will be serving Budweiser, Michelob Ultra ,Michelob Amber Bock, Bacardi Silver, O'Doul's. New this year Koala Creek Wine Chardonnay and Shiraz.

so, we know that this JazzzFest has sucky beers, just like the NOLA one! :sad:

I will be going to this tomorrow. I am really excited to see the Rebirth Brass Band and the Funky Meters. Both New Orleans funk at it's finest. I hope the food is as good as the music. Look for a big guy in a Big Dog t-shirt and that will probably be me.

-Al

have fun guys. went the first year they moved it to state fair grounds in augusta from waterloo...

bring plenty of money because they raised the prices for the food and (if you can call it) beer a lot. the music is good though.... hpefully it will stop raining up here in the nw corner :blink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This should be a fun event.  Hope the weather holds up tomorrow!

Actually, if you know where to look, you can get Pilsner Urquell draft at the Fairgrounds.

Actually, if you know where to look, you can get Pilsner Urquell draft at the Fairgrounds.

Well, where should I look?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Unfortunately he's talking about the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Crawfish Fest in NJ isn't so lucky. Michelob Amber will be the best we can do...

Unfortunately he's talking about the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Crawfish Fest in NJ isn't so lucky. Michelob Amber will be the best we can do...

In New Orleans you look cattycorner to the Gospel Tent, against the track, next to the ATM. It's there.

But IMO, if the music and the company is right, it's all good anyway.

In New Orleans you look cattycorner to the Gospel Tent, against the track, next to the ATM. It's there.

But IMO, if the music and the company is right, it's all good anyway.

Brooks: Yeah, you right!

This was the first time we went, and it was a blast. The food standouts were the crawfish etouffee and the red beans and rice with sausage. Buckwheat Zydeco was awesome, and I also enjoyed the Red Stick Ramblers, who played a lot of cajun standards. Definitely bringing some type of tent next year because I now look quite similar to a boiled crawfish after baking in the sun all day.

This was the first time we went, and it was a blast. The food standouts were the crawfish etouffee and the red beans and rice with sausage. Buckwheat Zydeco was awesome, and I also enjoyed the Red Stick Ramblers, who played a lot of cajun standards. Definitely bringing some type of tent next year because I now look quite similar to a boiled crawfish after baking in the sun all day.

First timer here too... ended up there on Saturday. We were at Jazzfest this year, and this much-anticipated Crawfish fest ended up being a bit of a disappointment. It may have been that it was such a startling contrast, but hearing that they actually shipped up the supplies from NOLA really got my tastebuds in gear.

#1 Disappointment: No condensed milk for the Snowballs! A Snowball without condensed milk is... well... just shaved ice with syrup.

#2 Disappointment: Beignets. Now, I'm not looking for Cafe du Monde North here, but the appearance of these beignets looked sort of pasty at best. I have to admit I didn't try them for that reason.. maybe they tasted better then they looked? Wasn't willing to risk the calories to find out. Speaking of Beignets, Jazzfest had some kicka** "Crawfish Beignets".. sort of Crawfish hushpuppies with remoulade. Hoping beyond hope they may have made an appearance here... no such luck.

#3 Disappointment: The Jambalaya used mild sausage... Geez, what's Jambalaya without Andouille? In fact, Andouille sausage was nowhere to be found.

#4 Disappointment: The crawfish bread, a favorite at Jazzfest, was just plain old yuck.

Good Points? The music sounded GREAT. The crowd was bopping along and having what appeared to be a great time. The freshly squeezed lemonade was terrific. The $25. admission fee ($20. advance purchase) was rather steep, considering I really just went for the eats... the music, to me, was just a bonus. There was an unusual way that the money was handled. One would buy "food coupons" in advance and then use these when purchasing food. Before leaving, extra coupons could be redeemed for cash. Seemed simple enough, but the long lines that one had to stand on to get the money refunded had the whole day sort of ending on a hot & sour note.

I had a blast on Saturday. The weather and the music were great. Sonny Landreth really impressed me and the Meters are straight up awesome. They rocked the stage for about an hour and a half. The food was good, but not great. My favorite thing I ate all day was the pecan pie. It was amazing. The alligator sausage was good as was the crawfish bisque. The jambalaya and crawfish bread left a lot to be desired. All in all a great day of sunshine, music, food, and friends. I will try and make it again next year.

The crawfish etouffee was a definite highlight for me. It was the first thing I tried, and it was the item I enjoyed the most. It was all down hill after that, with the exception of the pecan pie. I'm not a pie fan, but I thought the pecan pie was outstanding!

I didn't get to try the shrimp creole, as the ran out of it early.

$25 is not at all unreasonable for a full day of music with 2 stages.

The coupons are also a good idea. It eliminates the need for cash transactions at all of the different food stations allowing the lines to have better flow. You wouldn't believe how much more time it takes at each station if they have to deal with cash all day. The most I had to wait in any line was 10 minutes tops.

"The crawfish etouffee was a definite highlight for me. It was the first thing I tried, and it was the item I enjoyed the most. It was all down hill after that, with the exception of the pecan pie."

What else did you try that didn't live up to your expectations? ("it was all down hill after that") ?

"$25 is not at all unreasonable for a full day of music with 2 stages."

New Orleans Jazzfest Ticket Prices 2005

$25.00 advance price

$35.00 on event day

Considering Jazzfest has 11 (!) stages as well as crafts, exhibitors, lectures, interviews, parades. etc., $25 bucks is a high ticket price for 1 day/2 Stages (checked out that dance hall stage and didn't seem to be very much going on in there at all. Ten individuals standing around watching and two couples shuffling on the dance floor -- this was Saturday afternoon at 2pm)

I think your continued efforts to compare this event favorably to NO Jazzfest might be an exercise in futility.  :wink:

Why, Pete--- Don't we always hear in Jazz circles talk of Sussex County Jazz in the same context as New Orleans Jazz? :hmmm:

Actually, no matter how you slice it up, that many bands for that price is pretty much of a bargain. The Meters regularly get $30 or better in small venues here in New Orleans like the House of Blues and Tipitinas and Sonny is often that much (and worth it at many times the price).

The Jazz Fest in New Orleans used to be even more of an extreme bargain, and ticket prices have climbed steeply in the last few years, as a gate ticket as late as $92 was going for $12 in advance and something like $14 at the gate.

I was looking on line at music venues and there is a place in Baltimore, The Funk Box, that might as well be here. Jon Cleary, The Meters, The Iguanas, The Subdudes, The Rebirth, The Radiators, etc.

Were I a resident of Baltimore, there would be a bar stool with my name on it in that place.

As far as the food aspect goes, where else would you have even had a chance to try that stuff up there on that particular day, especially with all of the music going on?