• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

best super auto espresso maker

japanesegeek

A friend's wife asked for an expresso maker for her birthday. After asking her a few questions, I determined she wants a no work model, will be making herself mostly mocha lattes, and vanilla lattes for her husband.

Models that I've heard are good for super autos are the Jura-Capresso Impressa Z5 and Saeco Incanto Sirius. Anyone know if they are any good, or if there is another super auto I should look at? Thanks.

If price is not an issue I'd lean towards the Jura. They're made by the same people who make the Schaerer superauto commercail machiens that are well proven and in widespread use byt commercial operations (including Peet's and Dunkin Donuts). I've heard/read very positive reports re/reliability and recall seeing a favorable review at Coffeegeek.com for one of the other higher end Jura Capresso machines.

I've used a low end Saeco superauto in my office for two years. It's been okay but it's in the very lowest end of superauto's and really good just for coffee and not espresso. My intuition and observations lead me to believe that Jura has a lowe repair rate and better reliability record than Saeco but it's a highlu subjective observation.

I just noticed a comment at Coffegeek from head geek Mark Prince. He was discussing superauto machines in his piece about new consumer products at the recent SCAA show in Seattle.

Note this comment

The Incanto Sirius. Nifty look, metal construction, and a touch screen. Too bad it's still based on the flawed Starbies Italia brew group.

Mark's a pretty sharp guy when it comes to espresso gear and I've found him to be very objective in addition to doing exhausting testing. Further evidence in favor of the Jura.

• 8 years later...

Our Saeco coffee machine of about 12 or 13 years has packed it in and we in the hunt for a replacement. The Jura machines offer many options and a wide price range. I've been searching for reviews about reliability and haven't seen much that has been helpful. What are your experiences with these machines? Any help would be appreciated. We want a machine that does not need a lot of service because the nearest service centre is around 250 kms away.

It's very low end, but I use a refurb saeco Vienna plus that I've had for three years now. My last one (refurb as well) lasted me 7, and only died then because I couldn't get it serviced in India.

I think I paid 299 for it from wholelattelove.com if I remember correctly.

On a related tangent, the espresso beans from redbirdcoffee.com are a passionate love affair of mine.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Good timing. Our Saeco Odea Giro and backup machine Odea Go both developed serious issues in the past several months, so instead of dealing with repairs I've been on the hunt for a new one that wouldn't cost us any body parts. As mentioned upthread, the Jura machines still have a decent reputation for reliability, but pretty much any superautomatic machine is a risk. The Jura's frothing system can be odd, too; some will do so only via a milk container and plastic tubing.

I decided to get another Giro (the Plus model) because it was familiar and because I got a Seattle Coffee Gear refurb via eBay, with a two-year Square Trade warranty, for about US$360 including shipping.

The Vienna is a good basic machine, too, and less expensive than the Odea. I even bought one a couple of years ago for our faculty lounge.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer