• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant/Bar Kits Beach-Looks Like a Prison

While out walking with an old friend this evening we chanced by the new development on Kits Beach.My friend-who I must say has quite a different outlook from mine but is also a long time resident of the 'hood-said that from the representation on the sign the building has the look of a prison camp-complete with guard tower at one end.

Looking over the shell with a practised eye-I was in renovations for a number of years- I have to agree.

The place is butt ugly and that's being generous. :blink:

Forget all the gushing about the uber smooth management team- they are starting with a dog of a building-two steps behind and long way from paradise.

I agree,,, but im hoping they are going to pull off some fantastic design that will hide the nasty look of it. I live in this "hood" as well, it would be a shame if it turns out to be an eyesore. I think they are going to be booked all summer! :cool:

Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is. - P. J. O'Rourke

All I had to do was look at the title of this thread, and I knew it was started by Sam!! :laugh::laugh: I was down there last week ... and I don't disagree. But then, the previous building was no Taj Mahal either.

Is Watermark still on track for June 15? I'm interested to see how much of their menu (not take-out) is deep fried.

A.

Is Watermark still on track for June 15?  I'm interested to see how much of their menu (not take-out) is deep fried.

Read the Media Digest Arne... July 1! :raz:

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Is Watermark still on track for June 15?  I'm interested to see how much of their menu (not take-out) is deep fried.

Read the Media Digest Arne... July 1! :raz:

OK, I finally decided to stop lurking and get a cute/wierd e-gullet name and post or rather get questions answered by y'all. I just ran by this yesterday morning and there is no way they are going to be open by June 15th. It is certainly a very "solid" building...

Daddy A, was the menu posted somewhere outside? I didn't see it.

Cate Simpson

Les Dames d'Escoffier International

www.ldei.org

www.lesdames.ca

I saw it last week and they were still at the frame stage.

A good rule of thumb for restaurant builds is 100 days from concrete. Meaning once the building is finished, it takes 100 days to complete a full service restaurant. And that is assuming all goes well with the people at City Hall.

N

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

A good rule of thumb for restaurant builds is 100 days from concrete. Meaning once the building is finished, it takes 100 days to complete a  full service restaurant.

Way to go loser, you just spoiled every upcoming episode of "Opening Soon" on the Food Channel for all of us. Thanks alot Neil.

Opening soon ! They make it look like restaurants take 30 minutes to build.

Perhaps they should do an episode on " Prima Donna Drywall Guys and the bullshit that goes with it. "

My place took 7 weeks to build and 2 weeks staring at each other waiting for the inspectors. I will be celebrating my 8th year in business on June 5th. I guess I beat the odds and made it !

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

Cheers.

When's free reserve wine list and steak night?

Seriously, there are drywall superstars that insist the lunch wagon remove the brown M&M's? That's awesome. If I had my life to live over I'd steer a course towards being the Godon Ramsay of drywallers. "You call that a tape job? It's fookin' shite mate." Do drywallers that work in Yaletown think they're better than drywallers in Surrey? They probably all think that yanks that call it "sheetrock" are total losers.

Drywall superstars. The world is a confusing and fascinating place.

Michelle and I went for a Kitsilano Adventure with our boy today (4th wedding anniversary :smile: ) and I checked out the building in it's current skeletal stage.

Some possible nicknames I'm considering:

Stalag Kits.

The Gulag Architectureno.

Sing Sing Bistro.

Alcatrazium Wine Bar.

Juvi Fusion.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

The Brutalist architectural style is currently enjoying a revival in ultra hip northern European design centres, so enjoy being on the cutting edge, no one said it was pretty.

Beside's if Vancouverites had their druthers and were collectively allowed to pick building designs every freaking building would look like the Marine Building. Gak. I suspect based on the fact that everyone hates it that it will be superb.

OK, I finally decided to stop lurking and get a cute/wierd e-gullet name and post or rather get questions answered by y'all. I just ran by this yesterday morning and there is no way they are going to be open by June 15th. It is certainly a very "solid" building...

Daddy A, was the menu posted somewhere outside? I didn't see it.

About damn time you started posting! :raz: Just no shilling for the Wyles character okay?

I didn't see a menu either, but in one of the local rags (Pawsey wrote it I think) there was something about the upstairs menu being ... *sigh* "West Coast" favorites, and the concessions downstairs being more traditional beach fair. if they were smart they'd load up on munchies for the BC Bud crowd.

A.

I heard they're going with a prison theme full on:

Grand Theft Tacos, made with something fishy pulled out of English Bay,

served with chapoodle sauce

Octapus Ball and Chains (woven by local inmates out of wakame)

Churros in Striped Pajamas

BC Bud Brownies, made from locally seized crops

Dead Man Walking Pain au Chocolat, cooked in our conviction oven

= License to print money, so watch for those forged bills they slip you with the change. :wink:

Zuke

Edited by Zucchini Mama (log)

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Interesting. Although Brent Davies didn't win the lease (the prevailing opinion three years ago on West 12th Avenue being that he was the category dominator--the Shaguar and rubber tire categories, that is) with his Seasons, Cardero's, Sandbar and the-then Teahouse (now Sequoia), but that one of his longest term chefs, Linda Larouche, did. David Richards, the GM, is one of the cleverest destination guys going--he even inspired consistent attendance at the hard-to-find Prow Restaurant, which local tycoon Joe Segal sold back to the Feds so they could lengthen Canada Place in order to rack more dragon boats. That lease-kill, not incidentally, raised substantially more dough than a kilo of Cow Brand.

It will be interesting to see if Linda is allowed a few pence more in her new digs--perhaps to take her food costs over the Davies' litmus of +/- 26%. Clearly (or more to the point, hopefully), this will be an epiphany, a real change-of-life venture for the Barnett Bros., who must feel dreadfully guilty for their prior deep-fried ways. (You'll surely recall that squid eventually formed a union to protest the tentacular abuse of their brethern at the Elephant and Castle chain.)

Personally, I hope that it proves wildly popular because it might just convince the City to release its stranglehold on the the seawall, that rather sterile strip (and food-challenged asset) currently held captive by buffos with baggage wheels under their boots.

Mind you that baggage ain't all Louis Vuitton, as the following quotation from the E&C website might attest:

"Dear Prospective Franchisee:

Thank you for your interest in the Elephant & Castle, one of the most popular new casual, theme franchises in the new restaurant segment in North America today... Pubs!

Why have English and Irish pubs become so popular in the United States and Canada?

--Pubs generate high average unit revenues per square foot!

--Pubs produce a healthy mix of liquor, beer and wine sales to drive margins!

--Pub Grub food menus require only a small, compact kitchen and food prep area!

--Almost any size, shape or existing floor plan may be built or renovated as a pub!

--The Elephant & Castle is North America's oldest and largest chain of authentic English pubs. Elephant & Castle™ Group Inc. is a 28-year-old public company trading on OTCBB under the symbol PUBSF. We own, operate and franchise:

--23 authentic English pub restaurants in the United States and Canada"

Chisee indeed, Fran, and goodnight.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

I just posted a prenatal snapshot of the beachside bohemoth here.

Anyone know what the tower to the left will be used for?

And despite our jestful ribbings, consider the location again. This is probably going to be one hell of a restaurant even if they sell smoky bacon chips and pilsener.

Bring on the summer.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

And despite our jestful ribbings, consider the location again. This is probably going to be one hell of a restaurant even if they sell smoky bacon chips and pilsener.

Riblets, actually. And as for the flight control tower, well that's predisposed for landing Beavers--of the DeHavilland species of course.

Finally, Pammy Anderson moving home.

Sincerely yours,

David Hasselhoff

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

:laugh:

Thanks for the pic, Andrew, I was going mad trying to imagine it!

The tower is a lifeguard tower. It appears capable of traffic control of more than mere swimmers and gulls, though!

As far as the ostensibly unconstructed look, I invite you to think of the title of Douglas Coupland's City of Glass...Windows don't need nearly as long to cure as concrete.

Mmmm, I hope they serve Sangria.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

As others have pointed out - concrete and glass does seem to be the Vancouver architectual idiom and as such this building fits right in. I walk by it almost daily - and I think it will turn out to be a very nice open space with spectacular sunset views - perhaps the best in town.

Of course I would have preferred something in the Balinese beach hut idiom....but this really isn't bad.

[sincerely yours,

David Hasselback

I think you mean David Hasselhoff...Hasselbeck is the football player married to that Elizabeth chickie late of Survivor, currently of The View...how I know that I do not know...hidden depths that astound even me.

My only question about this place is what are they going to do when the tides shift and rise and the ocean starts creeping in the door? These things have a way of happening...have some appies while you dangle your feet in the water, perhaps?

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Bring on the summer.

Thanks for the picture Andrew. The tower is a lifeguard tower. Here's a quote from the Vancouver Courier article, check out Mooshmouse's Digest above for the full story:

"Barnett said the $5.3 million complex, which will house a lifeguard and first-aid station, washrooms, a concession stand, and licensed restaurant called Watermark on Kits Beach, should be operational before July 1."

Looks interesting, I'll reserve judgement until it is a little further along, but with such a location they could build anything and it would be full every night.

Like Jamie, I'd like to see more restaurants on the seawall. The crap they serve now in the Parks Board concessions doesn't do anything for Vancouver's reputation.

Cheers,

Anne