• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making my own adobo sauce

lexy

I have a recipe that calls for chipotles in adobo sauce. Since I have dried chipotles on hand, I thought I'd soak them and then mix the water with tomato paste, adding the chopped up chiles to create 'adobo'. Any thoughts on this? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks! :smile:

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

and from coyote cafe and Mark Miller

Chipotles in Adobo

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

10 each chipotle peppers -- stems removed an dslit lenthwise

1/3 cup white onions -- 1/ 2 inch slices

5 tablespoons cider vinegar

2 cloves garlic -- sliced

4 tablespoons ketcup

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 cups water

combine all ingredients in a non reactive saucepan

cover and cook over very low heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until chili's are very soft and liquid has

reduced to 1 cup.

Edited by kjente2 (log)

roast the chiles in a dry pan (no oil) first, then soak them and reserve the liquid. After that, you can put them in a food processor with cilantro, vinegar (or lime juice), jalapeños (or any hot pepper you have handy), any othen ingredient you feel like (pineapple being one of my favorites to make some al pastor pork) and thin with the reserved liquid.

If you like it chunky, keep some of the ingredients and add them after you process the adobo.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

hmm, this is more complex than I'd thought - good thing I asked! Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably try kjente2's Coyote Cafe recipe since it looks good without being too much work

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

You didn't say what you're making with the chipotles. Perhaps just soaking them until soft would do the trick unless your recipe calls for some of tha adobo to be added to the dish.

:blink: Chipoltes in Adobo, 7 ounce can is $2.00 Wholesale.....

Why bother to cook ???

I have a recipe that calls for chipotles in adobo sauce. Since I have dried chipotles on hand, I thought I'd soak them and then mix the water with tomato paste, adding the chopped up chiles to create 'adobo'. Any thoughts on this? Is there a better way to do this? Thanks! :smile:

Why bother to cook ???

Oh, just laziness I suppose :raz: And I've been looking to use the dried chiles up somehow.

The recipe is the tangerine-glazed grilled chicken from the most recent Bon Appetit. It's such a small amount of adobo used (2 tsps I think), that I don't think it's of vital importance what exactly I use, as long as it more or less fits the "spicy and smoky" bill.

:blink: Send an address to my email

I'll send ya a can.. Use the chilis on something like a brisket or in Chili,..

Allna

Why bother to cook ???

Oh, just laziness I suppose :raz: And I've been looking to use the dried chiles up somehow.

The recipe is the tangerine-glazed grilled chicken from the most recent Bon Appetit. It's such a small amount of adobo used (2 tsps I think), that I don't think it's of vital importance what exactly I use, as long as it more or less fits the "spicy and smoky" bill.

• 9 years later...

I'd like to make a batch of adobo sauce.  Toots wants to use some in a recipe, but doesn't need or want chipotles, which are usually packed in adobo sauce.  It would be nice if I could get some tips, maybe even a recipe or two, for making my own adobo sauce.

... Shel

Spices are pricey. Might be cheaper to just throw out the chipotle and keep the sauce.

Very few things are inexpensive these days.  Buying a can of chipotles in sauce and tossing the chipotles is terribly wasteful! However, there'd be no need to toss the chipotles as they'll keep forever, and I enjoy them.  But that's not the point: I want to make my own sauce.  When in the mood, I enjoy cooking and experimenting and playing in the kitchen.  This is a cooking forum, yes?  There are lots of spices in my pantry, some of which, I'm sure, would work well in an adobo sauce.

... Shel

So what type of chile do you want to use? I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but to the best of my understanding, some form of chile is part of the deal in a Mexican-style adobo (which I'm assuming is the type you're referring to since you mentioned chipotle adobo).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So what type of chile do you want to use? I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but to the best of my understanding, some form of chile is part of the deal in a Mexican-style adobo (which I'm assuming is the type you're referring to since you mentioned chipotle adobo).

Since the sauce will be for Toots, mild chilies would be the best choice, something along the line of ancho/poblano, Anaheim, Coronado, Aji Panca, etc.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Ancho worked well in the adobo-style sauces (I'm calling it that because I don't know enough about it to say definitively what constitutes and authentic adobo sauce) I've made in the past. I don't remember off the top of my head what I used in terms of recipes but I'm pretty sure I probably just searched google and went with something that sounded good to me. I like chipotles in adobo but, like you in this case, it's not always the way I want to go. They have a tendency to easily slip into the flavor-realm of a bbq sauce in some uses.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Don't know whether this will suit your needs, but here's a basic Mexican adobo.  It's intended as a simmer sauce for 2 lb meat or equivalent, and so may be thinner than you have in mind.  Makes about 3 c.  Can be divided into portions and frozen.

Chop 1 med onion; mince 6 cl garlic; seed 6 med dried ancho chiles and cut with kitchen shears or tear into small pieces (or use 9 tbsp pulverized).  Saute onion in 2 tbsp lard (or oil) until tender, about 10 minutes; add garlic and chiles; saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.  Deglaze with 1 c vegetable stock; bring to a boil; let stand off heat 1 hour covered.  Puree in blender with 14 oz crushed tomatoes, 2 tbsp red wine (or cider) vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp each black pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cumin and oregano, and 1/4 tsp ground clove.  (Make sure chiles are smooth; if not, strain sauce through a medium-coarse sieve.)  Rinse blender with 1/2 c water and add to puree.

• Like 2

Don't know whether this will suit your needs, but here's a basic Mexican adobo.  It's intended as a simmer sauce for 2 lb meat or equivalent, and so may be thinner than you have in mind.  Makes about 3 c.  Can be divided into portions and frozen.

Chop 1 med onion; mince 6 cl garlic; seed 6 med dried ancho chiles and cut with kitchen shears or tear into small pieces (or use 9 tbsp pulverized).  Saute onion in 2 tbsp lard (or oil) until tender, about 10 minutes; add garlic and chiles; saute until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.  Deglaze with 1 c vegetable stock; bring to a boil; let stand off heat 1 hour covered.  Puree in blender with 14 oz crushed tomatoes, 2 tbsp red wine (or cider) vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp each black pepper, allspice, cinnamon, cumin and oregano, and 1/4 tsp ground clove.  (Make sure chiles are smooth; if not, strain sauce through a medium-coarse sieve.)  Rinse blender with 1/2 c water and add to puree.

Tks!  It's certainly a good starting point and it has given me some ideas.

... Shel