• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I've never been able to figure out why foodies tend to despise ketchup.

Like just about any condiment, it has its applications. If you don't like it, there are a million other condiments out there.

The same goes for Worcestershire sauce and barbecue sauce, deli mustard and honey mustard, pickle relish and mango chutney, and jarred salsa.

Why ask why? Just enjoy it for what it is.

Maybe I'm weird for liking ketchup. :blink:

I also will eat pickle relish straight out of a jar. Ditto for hoisin sauce.

Soba

PS. In the omuraisu thread in the Japan forum, Hiroyuki asks pretty much the same question, ao I thought I'd ask all y'all.

I hated it as a kid, it was too "jarring." But I like it now, and I mostly use it on Burgers, but not much else. But you've got me thinking, are there any haute Ketchups? I only use Heinz, and have not seen anything else, and wonder what it would be like if I made it myself.

Emma Peel

I lovelovelovelovelovelove ketchup. Except the jamaican type...far too sweet. mmmmmmm ketchup. my sister used to eat ketchup sandwiches, until she discovered mayo...

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

I love ketchup and also ate ketchup sandwiches as a kid.....when you think about it, it isn't much different than eating salsa and chips. I like ketchup on scrambled eggs, burgers, cheesesteaks, Italian sausage sandwiches, and western omelet sandwiches. However, I prefer my french fries to be clean with only salt on them. I don't use ketchup on anything else. And I don't eat ketchup sandwiches anymore.

I prefer Hunt's to Heinz, but also like Del Monte. I generally buy whatever I have a coupon for.

Dave

I like catsup/ketchup. Most often with hashbrowns or baked potato wedges.... but on fries I prefer white vinegar.

I wonder how many 'foodies' use ketchup as a secret ingredient in other things. I think more do than may admit to it.

I love tomatoes and find ketchup akin to putting large spoonfuls of sugar on my food. It's OK with fries, I guess, but I prefer a good mustard on my burger any day.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I love ketchup as well. Mind you, I don't want it brought to the table with my steak frites...but - I'm not eating a burger without it, most of the time.

Problem is, now that I'm getting older - it gives me ferocious heartburn. :sad:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Another yes vote.

Whenever I get fries out at one of our local regular joints (the Red Fez), I squirt one lump of Heinz ketchup and one lump of sriracha, then go back and forth. Yum.

At most friendly barbecues here in the east, which involve grilling and no barbecue (long, sad story), I'll happily put catsup, mustard, and pickles on a burger (that is, if I can't make my darling bleu cheese and dijon mustard burger, the condiments for which I have yet to stoop to bring with me).

However, I will disinterestedly observe, purely in the spirit of community-minded, nonjudgmental opining, that putting ketchup on a hot dog indicates a serious character flaw. For example, my wife does this -- and look at the nut she wound up marrying.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Because it fights cancer with its lycopene, I love it: :wub:

New Scientist article

If you want high lycopene levels, says Ishida, the rule of thumb is to pick the darkest red ketchup.
What actually is the darkest ketchup??

Because it involves putting a sweet, tomatoey sauce on perfectly good meat or other items, I hate it. :angry:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

yech yech yech....

I put ketchup in meatloaf....but i dont eat meatloaf :wink:

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I love to cook with ketchup, but I'm the only one in the family who won't eat it as a condiment. My husband and kids love it so much that we always have to have the biggest bottle available, plus I have another one on the standby just in case. Heaven help me if we ran out of ketchup - there'd be mutiny in our house. I personally find it too sweet. Tabasco - now that's the sauce for me!

Ketchup has its place as an ingredient in a multi-ingredient sauce, but I don't like it by itself and never have. I never put ketchup on anything. Why? I don't really know how to answer that; I just don't like the taste. I can't say it's because it's unrefined-tasting or blunt: I like blunt food, if that means spicy or garlicky.

Michael aka "Pan"

I didn't actually taste kechup until I was past 20 years old. Couldn't abide by the sheer smell of the stuff before that. Now I enjoy it on french fries, hot dogs, hamburgers, and as an ingredient in other foods. Not my all time favorite condiment to be sure, but not one I have issues with, either.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I've never been able to figure out why foodies tend to despise ketchup.

Why ask why?  Just enjoy it for what it is.

Maybe I'm weird for liking ketchup.   :blink:

nope Soba, you're not weird for liking ketchup. :smile:

i'm with Pan in the "ingredient in a sauce" camp.

i don't dislike it so much, it's just that alone, it's too sweet, like tomato jam, and one-note tasting. if you made it thicker, chunkier, with much less sugar and much more peppers and veg (and here i am describing chili sauce or chutney, hehe), i would subscribe to that.

so i guess for me it's that if ketchup were the same and yet totally different, i would be all over it. :biggrin::blink:

edit to say: and yeah, if you added some basil or flat-leaf parsley, it would be even better.

Edited by gus_tatory (log)

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

I don't like Ketchup because it tastes more sweet that tomatoey....and to me that is just all wrong.

HOWEVER.....for many years now, my husband and I have been rating Fries by the "Ketchup Factor"

Perfect fries do not need ketchup. They hold their own. They have a Ketchup Factor of "0"

Really BAD dry fries require a lot of ketchup...(we usually never finish them)....They have a Ketchup Factor of "10".

...you get the idea.

If I have no sauerkraut or dijon mustard, the only other thing that I put Ketchup on is a hot dog....and I eat those maybe twice a year, if that. :wink:

I'm with KatieLoeb; I find ketchup much too sweet and would rather have mustard on my burgers and hot dogs and so forth. I'm diabetic too, so it's just extra sugar I don't really need.

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

Put me firmly in the camp with those who dislike ketchup. I grew up eating it not as a condiment on hamburgers or French fries, but on spaghetti, instead of pasta sauce!!! (My mother's piece de resistance.) YUCK!!!

I wouldn't keep it in the house at all, if it weren't for my stepson, who likes it on burgers and tuna salad (???).

My only use for it is in one Chinese recipe for shrimp.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I'm diabetic too, so it's just extra sugar I don't really need.

There actually are some sugar free ketchups:

Steel's Sugar Free Ketchup (Pennsylvania)

Keto Ketchup ~ no sugar added!

Walden Farms Calorie, Carb & Sugar Free Ketchup (New Jersey)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ketchup has its place among condiments. I like it mixed with mustard and/or mayonnaise on the standard ketchup related items: french fries, burgers and hot dogs. Don't like it with scrambled eggs.

My best friend is a ketchup maniac and from her, I am now also hooked on ketchup on ketchup chips!

I like ketchup, but I love its variations.. Maggi offers ketchup in flavors such as garlic-chili, tamarind-chili, hot-n-sweet, etc. Garlic-chili is my absolute favorite!

"I look around (the Amazon rainforest) and see a green wall. They (the Machiguenga Indians of Peru) look around and see a supermarket." -Austin Stevens

My problem with ketchup is its ubiquity and status as top-condiment for American food. I just think we Americans could have tried harder in the quest to find the all-purpose delicious condiment. It's so one-note sweet. Dining out, I do enjoy it on hamburgers, but usually concoct something else to put on my potatoes (hot sauce + mayo etc.)

Drink maker, heart taker!

I love ketchup, and I am intrigued by specialty or obscure ketchups, like Mcilhenny's (Tabasco)

http://www.ketchupworld.com

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Most commercial ketchups are too sweet.

It's not a particularly great condiment so I don't see the point in spending any time finding one that isn't nasty when there are so many more interesting things to use.

I prefer kimchi on my burgers.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM