• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Restaurants in Portsmouth, NH

ALANBF

I'll be in Portsmouth on a Fri. night in July. Any ideas for a liesurely meal. Not an all fish or sea food place please.

We like Lindbergh's Crossing or for Italian Anthony Albertos

"What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn't much better than tedious disease"

George Dennison Prentice

I'll be in Portsmouth on a Fri. night in July. Any ideas for a liesurely meal. Not an all fish or sea food place please.

Not in Portsmouth, but right up the way...Dewolfe Tavern on Thames Street in Bristol (great menu... classical dishes and American fusion with an Indian/Pakistani flair; Roberto's, on the other main street in Bristol-Italian...

If it is near the Fourth of July...be aware of the *huge* parade in Bristol... ties up traffic up and down rt.114

Karen V

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

I've really enjoyed Saucy Grace -- one of the best Cobb salads I've ever experienced, and terrific service -- there's also a nice bakery down the same street (all near the town center on a side street).

Not in Portsmouth, but right up the way...Dewolfe Tavern on Thames Street in Bristol (great menu... classical dishes and American fusion with an Indian/Pakistani flair; Roberto's, on the other main street in Bristol-Italian...

If it is near the Fourth of July...be aware of the *huge* parade in Bristol... ties up traffic up and down rt.114

Karen V

OOps, missed the 'NH' and was thinking 'RI'...sorry

KV

All that is needed for evil to survive is for good people to do nothing

• 3 weeks later...

Popular but seafood-y places include the Dolphin Striker and the Oar House. I've eaten at both, and they're OK but unremarkable. I have a friend who swears by Muddy River Smokehouse but I've never been.

Portsmouth is a fun town with a lot of restaurants, but none of the supposedly better ones have really knocked me out as much as just eating at the Portsmouth Brewery, a large brew pub. Excellent, fresh beer makes up for a lot IMHO. Food is fine, service friendly though they can get very busy. They don't get real ambitious food-wise, which is a virtue in a place like this. Nachos, burgers, fish, steaks, and a few creative items that make use of the aforementioned beer. Major youthful bar scene. Make a reservation or get there early.

Another fun place afterwards is Cafe Kilim, a Turkish-owned coffee house with a lot of local atmosphere (and characters).

Cheers,

L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

• 8 months later...

Asked some knowing looking strangers on the street for a rec tonight and they sent me to the Stock Pot.

Good enough Greek salad and a very nice shrimp and scallops with red beans & rice and sort of a creamy creole sauce.

I recall being underwhelmed by Lindberg's Crossing, but my SO says I am wrong. But Stock Pot was a nice, reasonably-priced find.

Edited by fchrisgrimm (log)

Another fun place afterwards is Cafe Kilim, a Turkish-owned coffee house with a lot of local atmosphere (and characters).

Now this sounds good. Where abouts is it?

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com