• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plaquemines Parish Heritage Seafood Festival

Jason Perlow

NOTE: This topic is part of the Eating New Orleans series.

http://www.plaqueminesheritageandseafoodfest.com/

About Plaquemines Parish

Plaquemines Parish is a peninsula, bordered by the Gulf of Mexico and paralleled by the Mississippi River.  Plaquemines Parish’s economy is based on oil, gas, and sulphur production, citrus crops, and seafood production. In seafood production alone, over sixty million dollars of products are exported internationally. Some of the cargo includes oysters, shrimp, crawfish, and crabs.

This year over Memorial Day Weekend marked the very first Annual Heritage and Seafood Festival for the parish, and boy were we glad we went -- the entrance fee was a paltry $2, and it gained us access to some of the best Louisiana seafood we ever had -- huge plates of juicy shrimp and crawfish (with spicy sausage and potatoes) for $5 each, and charcoal broiled oysters.

gallery_2_0_365029.jpg

A view of the festival grounds.

gallery_2_0_93857.jpg

The food booths.

gallery_2_0_8314.jpg

A pair of Filipino women having their last taste of Crawfish before they head back home.

gallery_2_0_89003.jpg

Hey, you from New York... You want some crawfish?

gallery_2_0_104571.jpg

Seriously, does that look good or what?

gallery_2_0_23007.jpg

gallery_2_0_22882.jpg

Crawfish Fried Rice. We didn't have any, but a nice lady let me snap this picture of hers. It looked really good.

gallery_2_0_37255.jpg

Charcoal broiled oysters. So while they don't beat the ones at Drago's, these were very well worth the money and very juicy and good.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My God, you guys went everywhere!

Honestly, I wish we could have stayed another week. All my friends are in town right now for the Red Hat Linux summit and I heard the weather cooled down quite a bit.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

My God, you guys went everywhere!

Honestly, I wish we could have stayed another week. All my friends are in town right now for the Red Hat Linux summit and I heard the weather cooled down quite a bit.

That's what the deal was! I went out looking for a pocket protector to go with my cool new short sleeve dress shirt and they were all out. Now I know why. :wink:

Seriously, Jason and Rachel did more food related stuff in 7 days than many people do in years of visiting. It was fun watching them and it was great seeing them for the short time that I did. And I would like to point out that they decided to do this on a Wednesday and showed up on a Saturday morning a couple of hours later. No plans. Just a book and a gps. This year, when the nominations are requested in Gambit for the "Big Bad Ass, Bulletproof, Bottomless Pit Tourist Award", if these guys don't win, the whole thing is rigged.

It cooled down alright. It's been raining for 4 days. Alot.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

This year, when the nominations are requested in Gambit for the "Big Bad Ass, Bulletproof, Bottomless Pit Tourist Award", if these guys don't win, the whole thing is rigged.

Is that a real thing?

It cooled down alright. It's been raining for 4 days. Alot.

I guess we did bring the hot weather with us. :raz: