• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Churros en West Broadway!

Yeah, I'll serve hot chocolate, and my Scharffen Berger brownies. And there will be waiters serving the ladies in nothing but some strategically-placed whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

And Herb Alpert playing in the background??

Totally OT trivia ... the woman featured on the "whipped Cream" album cover, Dolores Erickson, was born in Seattle!

A.

I've been reading some of the upthread comments and some of the more experienced of us seem to feel like the churros are not the same as those that they had in Spain. I spoke to the woman who said she developed the recipe and it seems like most of the team running the place are from South America - could that account for some of the differences?

That being said - I am in the camp that thinks these are pretty good anyways. The more I have them - the more I like them.. they are crispy (a good thing in my books) and fried well in clean spotless oil. The dulce de leche topping is delicous and not headache inducingly sweet.

Deep fried dough (done well) what's not to like?

I'm having a real chuckle at some of the comments here.  I find we as a group have a tendency to over-analyze food.  Comparison is great for conversation, but do churros need to taste the same as in Spain (or mainly on the plain) as they do over here (in the rain)?

I spoke to the woman who said she developed the recipe and it seems like most of the team running the place are from South America - could that account for some of the differences?

Yes, of course, they don't need to taste the same. And yes, Latin American churros seem to usually be somewhat different, notably thinner and crunchier (and, IMO, not as good). The filled churro, for instance, is AFAIK a Latin American thing.

But, these [Churrolicious churros] are not even close to as good as the Chilean-style churros available at Churros King (note: in Edmonton, not Spain), and those themselves are a pale comparison to the Spanish norm. In fact, Daddy-A, even those Disneyland ones are much better than the Churrolicious version, ne c'est pas? At least they were years ago. At least they could match the other versions on this [North American] continent, and I might avoid suggestions of euro-centric snobbishness.

These are far, far too crispy. Also churros shouldn't be chewy (unless they've been sitting for a looong while, which these ones aren't). [Yes, food can be chewy and cripsy at once. Maybe tough is a better word.] Secondly there is a big flavour lack. These taste like fried dough: fine. But churros also tend to have a unique flavour, sort of sweet, sort of nutty, which is unfortunately lacking here.

While I'm all good with being open-minded and enjoying what you've got...let's have at least some standards people! Would you eat a chewy, supremely well-done steak and say "well, that's the way they like it in Germany; this is wonderful?" Of course not! Not to pick on Germans, but all my relatives won't eat their meat unless it's well past well-done. And I think they're nuts. It tastes better when done in a wide variety of other, more suitable fashions. This may be mostly a matter of taste, but surely we foodies can agree on some rough standards of excellence.

So yes. They do need to taste the same. Or at least close. [Or different but as good.] These ones [aren't any of that.] I'll go back and give it another go in a few months, but compared to the [delicately] cooked, tender and flavourful, the well-done critter just doesn't satisfy. Would you praise dry, chewy pastry [(not so dry it can't be chewy, of course)]? Or a woefully overdone donut? Clearly these people have put a lot of effort into their new business, and I for one was overjoyed to see churros in Vancouver. I hope they can make them as good as I am sure they can be. Anything else would be a shame.

Edited to add:

1) The churros on the coupon (website) photo are perfect. Compare with the ones in store. The ridges in store are not smooth; they are rough, incomplete, a sign of overfrying/overtemperature. So they know, they know! Or else they stole someone's picture.

2) Now that I actually read what people said about the Disney-churros, my memory must be mistaken. I had some at Disneyworld about 15 years ago though and thought they were pretty good. But maybe they weren't...

Edited again to fix some of the contradictions just in case anyone else becomes confused or indignant.

Edited by dillybravo (log)

Yes, of course, they don't need to taste the same. And yes, Latin American churros seem to usually be somewhat different, notably thinner and crunchier (and, IMO, not as good). The filled churro, for instance, is AFAIK a Latin American thing.

But, these are not even close to as good as the Chilean-style churros available at Churros King (note: in Edmonton, not Spain), and those themselves are a pale comparison to the Spanish norm. In fact, Daddy-A, even those Disneyland ones are much better than the Churrolicious version, ne c'est pas? At least they were years ago. At least they could match the other versions on this continent, and I might avoid suggestions of euro-centric snobbishness.

These are far, far too crispy. Also churros shouldn't be chewy (unless they've been sitting for a looong while, which these ones aren't). Secondly there is a big flavour lack. These taste like fried dough: fine. But churros also tend to have a unique flavour, sort of sweet, sort of nutty, which is unfortunately lacking here.

So yes. They do need to taste the same. Or at least close. These ones don't. I'll go back and give it another go in a few months, but compared to the barely cooked, tender and flavourful, the well-done critter just doesn't satisfy. Would you praise dry, chewy pastry? Or a woefully overdone donut? Clearly these people have put a lot of effort into their new business, and I for one was overjoyed to see churros in Vancouver. I hope they can make them as good as I am sure they can be. Anything else would be a shame.

There are so many contradictions in your post it's not even funny and I don't have time to address them now.

Listen-I've has Churros of many varieties throughout Latina America-they were all a bit different.

My favourite were Churros Rellenos from a place on the main street of a town called Palenque near the famous ruins in sothern Mexico.

That doesn't mean the ones on a certain avenida in San Jose CR weren't fabulous-especially after living on rice and fish for weeks and weeks.

Personally if I'm going to dip something into hot chocolate I want it to start out crunchy. :wub:

Oooh, testy testy. Sure there are tons of contradictions! Who cares? I think my point is clear. If you want to logic-chop go right ahead. If you have substantive complaints make them. You don't have to go to Spain to get great churros; but nonetheless these are not good churros. Latin American churros are great (and who's to make such a broad category anyway?) but a mote crunchy for my taste. I think these are overcooked and hella-chewy, period.

Anyway. There are plenty of good churros in the world. I too have eaten many of them and enjoyed most. These were, unfortunately, quite disappointing, and I don't think it would be too hard for them to be improved. I hope they are, because churros are probably one of my favorite snacks.

Personaly, I think you people need to be more critical from time to time. Yes, I and a few others speak their critical minds, and clearly it pisses most of you off to think your precious establishments don't meet the standards of some. Well, most of us have stopped posting. Now it's a big Vancouver-glee-fest, and you can't sift the wheat from the chaff. For anyone who still cares: I think this one is chaff. But caution, opinions may vary!

Maybe you should go hop on the person who dissed Lumiere before the whole house falls apart.

Who knew fried dough could evoke such passion!

I think dillybravo's opinion is interesting and doesn't need to be criticized. Maybe all the sugar from the Churro's Sam has been eating is getting the better of him. :laugh:

Edited by PaoPao (log)

Say what you like about the product, the folks running Churrolicious are sweethearts. They filled Captain Churro's massive order on Monday in a flash, despite it being past their closing time (as an aside, since they're right next to Elwood's, where I drank a away a good portion of my university career, they should re-open at 1:30am for an hour. Churros are up at the top of the list of foods that taste awesome when drunk.)

A bunch of us stopped by there yesterday after a drinking session at the aforementioned Elwood's, all 6 of us bearing the free churro coupons. They happily hooked us up with our 12 freebies, and we coughed up the ~$8 for another 12 with sauce. We were taking them to party so she put the sauces in little to-go cups for us, to prevent soggy churro syndrome. They were great, and they stayed nice and crispy until the last one was eaten at the party an hour or so later. And I could eat that dulce de leche with a spoon. Mmm.

So they're not as good as the Spanish kind. They're a fun cheap (6 of 'em cost less than one really crappy one at GM Place does!) little treat and I hope they do well there. God knows we'll be there after every Elwoods meal.

PS-Today is their grand opening so print a ocupon off the webpage and stop by if you're in the neighbourhood.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

Personaly, I think you people need to be more critical from time to time. Yes, I and a few others speak their critical minds, and clearly it pisses most of you off to think your precious establishments don't meet the standards of some. Well, most of us have stopped posting. Now it's a big Vancouver-glee-fest, and you can't sift the wheat from the chaff. For anyone who still cares: I think this one is chaff. But caution, opinions may vary!

dillybravo

Love it! Anyways - as for as my points were concerned - I was just just trying to figure out what makes a good churro and what makes a bad one. People who have had experience with the good stuff seem to think the Churrolicous ones don't measure up. Just let me know who I have to sleep with (or maybe threaten to sleep with) to the get the good ones - because they must be insane.

I think the people running it are awesome too. And I actually kind of liked their hot chocolate, although it was too thin for good dipping. So all you nay-sayers can just get lost (hahaha)!

I will probably go back at least a few more times in hopes the fryer cools down. Also it is totally possible that I got the most super-fried churros ever to leave Churrolicious, although from what other are saying...

And of course you are all welcome to enjoy your churros. I'm just telling you straight: if you don't know what you're missing, you're missing a lot, and these can get a heck of a lot more delicious. But who cares about all that anyway?

Anyway, back to the point: who to sleep with for the good ones. Well, I'm sorry to say it's not me. I myself have tried to make excellent churros and had only mild success. There is something about the Spanish dough in particular that adds a great taste and texture (usually, I still contend, lacking in many Latin American versions). And of course you need the churros die, although you can make suitable facsimiles with a rosette and an icing bag. Also you can purchase hand-powered home churros makers. Note on this page they even mention the two secrets to awesome churros: FLAVOUR and TEXTURE. So there.

But without whatever goes in the secret dough (and likely the oil) it's just not even close. Maybe the Mr. Churros mix is good?

Thanks for the tip on the churros! A fun place I genuinely wish them good luck. They have to sell alot of churros to pay the rent, I'm sure.

Here's some pics from the grand opening celebration on the 11th :)

55AM0001.jpg

55AM0002.jpg

55AM0003.jpg

55AM0005.jpg

55AM0010.jpg

Churros tasty, people nice, prices reasonable, menu limited. Will go back with friends sometime soon. Just for the novelty.

PPS - thanks for the free churro link on their website.

Went this afternoon and I will go back. I had a regular order with cinnamon sugar. The Churros were crisp on the outside, tender and moist on the inside.

No complaints here.

In fact, Daddy-A, even those Disneyland ones are much better than the Churrolicious version, ne c'est pas? At least they were years ago. At least they could match the other versions on this [North American] continent, and I might avoid suggestions of euro-centric snobbishness.

These are far, far too crispy. Also churros shouldn't be chewy (unless they've been sitting for a looong while, which these ones aren't). [Yes, food can be chewy and cripsy at once. Maybe tough is a better word.] Secondly there is a big flavour lack. These taste like fried dough: fine. But churros also tend to have a unique flavour, sort of sweet, sort of nutty, which is unfortunately lacking here.

The two of us went to try the new place out, and, without reading Dillybravo's comments above, came to the same conclusion. Granted, we last visited Disney many many many years ago, so Eisner's might have done something to cause the churros there to go down-hill fast, but, really, I would be quite disappointed if Churrolicious' churros are as good as they can get. They leave a lot of room for improvements: quite flavourless, both inside and outside; although crunchy (and, yes, a little chewy) on the outside, the inside is not fluffy, but soggy like they are not cooked through -- a combination of attributes to cause one to wonder if they should have lowered the oil temperature just a tad; there is the conspicous absence of aroma, even with the help of the cinnamon sugar, to lure one to take another bite; there is even a faint trace of baking soda. There has got to be better churros, right?

Perhaps we made the mistake of not ordering the huge, filled ones, but then, if the churros are in need of a rescue from the fillings and cannot quite stand up on their own, they cannot be all that good, no?

To be fair, I will visit again; and if they succeed in wowing me this time, I will gladly come back and edit/retract my comments. But, seriously, I think you guys are hyping it too much to set customers like me up for disappointment -- but I don't want to stray over into the other on-going thread.

• 11 months later...
Sad to see that this great little place is now closed-sad but not surprised. :sad:

It's a tough business in these parts and the place wasn't turnin' 'em over-hours had been cut back and the place was deserted much of the time.

The sign says they 'relocating' but no further details available.

Website still up as of this date

That's interesting...we were there last Saturday and they were open...too bad.

There is a new Churro place next door to the Parthenon...they were featured in the Province a couple of weeks ago but I forget the name...good food but they are going to seriously need to pull their chit together service and timing wise. My friend got her tamale, then I got my food...10 minutes later my husband was served and 10 minutes after that the last guy was served. The churros had been pre-made and the buenelos (sp?) were overcooked but the entres were good except for the bad service and the couple of things we ordered that never arrived. Oh well, it was WAY better than lunch at the Naam, which is where our friends wanted to go.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten