• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

panjiri

Does anyone know why this sweet has the same name as a city in Afghanistan?

Panjiri is term used for burfi in the northern states of India. Katli is also a similarly used.

Smita,

I roughly know what ingredients are used

Sonth (Dry ginger powder), Ajwain, Jeera, Gondh (Gum), Coriander seed

Gud (Jaggery), Cashew, Almond, Coconut, and Ghee

I believe Gud and dry fruits are added to mask the strong taste of soonth and ajwain, Some times atta (Wheat flour) is added as well.

Panjiri is term used for burfi in the northern states of India. Katli is also a similarly used.

Smita,

Well, not exactly. Panjiri is the generic name for the material. After it is made, it can then be shaped into either Barfi or Laddoo or into a daliya/halwa/porridge type of cosistency. In most cases, shape of the final product depends on the Saas (M-in-law) or Daadi/Naani, so that they can give the bahu/daughter/grand daughter whatever they were given, when they had kids...Kinda Sweet revenge!!!

I'll check with my mom next time I call her about the recipe.

Cheers!!

My advise for what its worth is to stay away from the stuff, its so damn tasty and addictive. You will end up more than restored, say 20 - 30 lbs!

Last time I was in Delhi and at Standard Sweets in Karol Bagh, had to restrain myslf and buy only 1/2 Kg. 20 minutes after I got home it was gone.

Bombay Curry Company

3110 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305. 703. 836-6363

Delhi Club

Arlington, Virginia

My advise for what its worth is to stay away from the stuff, its so damn tasty and addictive. You will end up more than restored, say 20 - 30 lbs!

Last time I was in Delhi and at Standard Sweets in Karol Bagh, had to restrain myslf and buy only 1/2 Kg. 20 minutes after I got home it was gone.

rolling.gif

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

thanks for the prompt responses. Deliad if you do get the recipe from your mom could you please post it. I have been given a fair idea of what goes into it but given that I have never eaten it nor ever seen it, I have a hard time divining consistency, proportions etc.