• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Random Kosher Questions

Pam R

A market we haven't really discussed for kosher imitation items, but one I see all the time, is the newly religious and those that have converted.

These are people who embrace kashrut more than they did in their past lives and don't want to give up what they've always enjoyed.  Now, the imitation items don't generally taste like the real thing (I mean, really) - but they taste enough like the real thing that people will settle for them.

So far, I've been the most vociferous "returned" Jew discussing this thread (don't know if I'm still newly-religious, as it's been decades), and I've made it plain I'm not interested in these foods. Are there any others who are lurking and would contribute their opinions here?... It would be interesting to hear. Pam, have you had people requesting kosher foods that taste like treif?

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

the imitation items don't generally taste like the real thing (I mean, really) - but they taste enough like the real thing that people will settle for them.

I have to agree with Pam on this statement ... it reminds them of their former lives and they can "sin without sinning": an often used, overused, none too clever way of indicating their feelings ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I didn't eat pork when I wasn't keeping Kosher. I didn't like pork then and therefore, don't want an imitation version of it now.

I did like seafood very much, but I really disliked imitation crabmeat then and I still don't like it. Therefore, I don't like imitation shrimp and calamari.

I just don't see the point of having them as a Kosher product. The real thing is forbidden, why do we need an imitation of it? I really don't miss the seafood.

As for Steven's comments on lab constructed meat, well, halachichally it wouldn't be considered meat anyway because it didn't come from an animal, so the whole discussion about that is nonsense.

Cooking Kosher is not such a sacrifice. Kosher meals, if prepared well, are as tasty and delicious as non-Kosher meals. If you don't believe me, come to my house for a gourmet meal. :wink:

Pam, have you had people requesting kosher foods that taste like treif?

Miriam

Miriam - my comments were based on things that I've observed in the store. I respect your point of view, I just wanted to point out that there were other views. I also have several customers (that I know of) who keep kosher only because it's important to the person they've married. It makes things easier for them, I guess.

In the store I stock fake crab and scallops - and have had several requests for fake shrimp. The crab is very popular (I think it's mostly for sushi). Of course I sell tofu sour cream, cream cheese, cheese slices, parve margarine (5-6 varieties) and parve soup bases.

I have not received a single request for fake bacon. And I don't stock any fake bacon items (though some of those bissli flavours come close :laugh: ). But, I sell a lot of beef fry - so maybe that fills the void.

There you go...I have never seen fake crab. I guess the demand for these foods hasn't been created in the Israeli market yet. Give it time, everything eventually does get here. On a lighter note, I know a number of folks whose kashrut is so stringent they won't eat at my home.

Last week my married daughter came over for dinner with her young family, and I fixed them polenta. It was the first time my little grandsons had eaten the dish, and they loved it, smothered in tomato sauce. My Moroccan/Tunisian son-in-law ate and enjoyed too, and I considered the dinner a success. Next day, my optometrist, whose background is also Moroccan and who got his license in Italy, were discussing how little Italian we each speak, and how we would get around in Rome. He said, "Oh, I can manage in restaurants and such...just if you ever get there, don't order that horrible dish, POLENTA." And he stuck out his tongue to show how gross it is. I laughed and laughed, and told him what a vast pot of the stuff had disappeared down my family's throats the night before...he found it hard to believe.

Yes indeed, there are jillions of points of view. Life would sure be boring if everyone thought the same. And there wouldn't be eGullet, tfu tfu tfu. :rolleyes:

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

I have not received a single request for fake bacon.  And I don't stock any fake bacon items (though some of those bissli flavours come close  :laugh: ).  But, I sell a lot of beef fry - so maybe that fills the void.

Oy! Its Wurst that fills the bacon gap, as in wurst and eggs

Or Lox, if you need smoke flavour...

• 16 years later...
1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know that it means non-kosher but I don't get it either 🙃

I think the first confusion for me was tthinking the cookies and the bacon were related. Ignoring them still?????????????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Kerala said:

Sorry, @Kim Shook

Please explain this like I'm 5 years old. Uh, looks like bacon, not allowed... next step? Feeling like an idiot.

The book is a compilation of contributions by a bunch of different people on "Jewish" food.  Some of it is historical and some anecdotal and personal.  There are Jewish people who can explain better than I can, but I have known many Jewish families who kept kosher in their homes for the sake of grandparents, community, etc. but didn't keep kosher elsewhere.  One of my HS best friends married a southern belle shiksa who plied him with sausage gravy and biscuits and collard greens.  His parents met at a Chesapeake Bay crab feast.  So it's a kind of "in joke", I guess.  It's funny precisely because it is forbidden and yet a favorite of so many Jewish folk.  Jewish people excel as self-deprecating humor and this is, I think an example of that.  

Does someone want to help me here?  I feel like I'm not explaining this very well!  

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Does someone want to help me here?  I feel like I'm not explaining this very well!  

I thinkwe get what you meant. Explaining jokes is a tailchasing activity ;)

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

The book is a compilation of contributions by a bunch of different people on "Jewish" food.  Some of it is historical and some anecdotal and personal.  There are Jewish people who can explain better than I can, but I have known many Jewish families who kept kosher in their homes for the sake of grandparents, community, etc. but didn't keep kosher elsewhere.  One of my HS best friends married a southern belle shiksa who plied him with sausage gravy and biscuits and collard greens.  His parents met at a Chesapeake Bay crab feast.  So it's a kind of "in joke", I guess.  It's funny precisely because it is forbidden and yet a favorite of so many Jewish folk.  Jewish people excel as self-deprecating humor and this is, I think an example of that.  

Many Jews are secular, and regularly consume things that could never be kosher under any circumstances (including pork). However, it's not unusual to feel a tiny pang of guilt about this, or to at least feel that you should feel guilty about this...which gives rise to lots of jokes about Jews and non-kosher/trayf food ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Jewish people excel as self-deprecating humor

I think you're absolutely on the right track here. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I know that it means non-kosher but I don't get it either 🙃

Truthfully,  it isn't very funny. So no one should feel the least bit bad about not getting it. There's not much to get. I'm a Jew who grew up in a rebelliious environment. My mother grew up in a kosher household but didn't look back once she tasted a crab. I don't believe she ever suffered from guilt. My own guilt has to do with eating animals. I gave up beef, but still eat pork, chicken and fish. What irritates me most is when people pretend that animals don't feel misery or pain.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

I really wish I hadn't posted it.  I didn't mean it in a derogatory way at ALL.  I thought it was funny (and true) that treyf foods are often favorites.  

Don’t worry about it. I think the humor comes across better when one can read the whole poster. I got a good chuckle of how we went all over the place In trying to explain the humor to each other.  I’m still laughing about trying to figure out how the cookies fit into the joke 🙃.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

our son in law grew up in a very conservative Jewish family.

as the "cook" I plan stuff that is kosher . . . we like him, no reason to 'insult' his beliefs....

I do a mean pizza , , , with turkey pepperoni - actually we don't really see a difference.

but, come breakfast . . . pork bacon is his one weakness.  I don't cook it and cause temptation . . . he asks about . . . .

do not live in a glass house if you are prone to stone throwing . . . .

years back regularly did lunch at a ultra observant deli - separate rooms, separate menus, different colored plates, different flatware - they were very serious about keeping kosher.... and it all tasted great!

• Like 2

The cookies, Stella D’ Oro are no longer made.  At one time they were made in The Bronx, N.Y.  They were popular with the Italian American community and also the Jewish community as they were considered Pareve, and therefore, they could be eaten after most meals.

• Like 1