• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Random Kosher Questions

Pam R

19 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

The cookies, Stella D’ Oro are no longer made.  At one time they were made in The Bronx, N.Y.  They were popular with the Italian American community and also the Jewish community as they were considered Pareve, and therefore, they could be eaten after most meals.

I believe they are still available but this part is pretty funny:

Perhaps the greatest scandal occurred in 2003, when then-owner of Stella D’Oro, Kraft Foods, announced it was discontinuing the traditional (pareve) Swiss fudge recipe and replacing the chocolate filling with a dairy version. Following public outcry, Kraft clarified this substitution was being “reconsidered,” eventually reversing course. There was much rejoicing, especially by one superfan, Yaakov Kornreich of Flatbush in Brooklyn, who dubbed the cookies so “addictive” that “they should come with a surgeon general’s warning.”

from The Times of Israel: Why American Jews love Stella D’Oro cookies

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Where else but eG can one learn this stuff? Thanks. So much fun. 

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I clearly remember that they had a cult following.  My memories of them are more sensory.  My grandparents lived about ten minutes north of the plant.  There was a viaduct that you exited nearby and the aromas of the cookies wafted over the entire area.  I always knew that we were almost there even with the car windows closed!

ETA… I understand they no longer taste the same 😄

Edited by OlyveOyl
Addendum (log)

As a non Jewish teen in extreme calorie counting mode I sought them out because they were for some reason among just a tiny handful of cookies listed in those little calorie books ! Always had their own end cap little display if you were lucky enough to find.

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

I really wish I hadn't posted it.  I didn't mean it in a derogatory way at ALL.  I thought it was funny (and true) that treyf foods are often favorites.  

Well of course they are! I know plenty of vegetarians and plenty of "somewhat" observant Jews who just couldn't resist bacon one second longer.  If my mother ever bought those cookies it was because they sounded Italian.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, OlyveOyl said:

I remember the end cap as well. There was a wide variety of cookies, anise toasts being one of them.  There were probably a dozen different cookies.

Yes! Anise toast was the low cal one!!! ETA: they looked like Italian biscotti

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1