• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Knives in the dishwasher

stevea

My wife and I agree about most things. But this is one area in which we vehemently disagree. I think that knives (those that are dishwasher safe) should go into the dishwasher pointy-side down. I think this for two reasons:

1. When I go to put more silverware in the dishwasher, and it's dark, and the knives are pointy side down, I don't accidentally stab myself with all those sharp edges.

2. I think it's more sanitary to have knives (and all silverware) oriented so their handles are up. That way, when you remove them to put them away, you're touching the handles, not the part of the silverware that touches the food.

My wife has one reason for saying that knives (and all silverware) should be oriented pointy side up. She says that in the dishwasher, water (and dirt) flow generally downward. Therefore, with knives pointy side up, the dirt is flowing away from the eating surfaces.

Who's right? Or are we both nuts?

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

When we moved into our place it had a Miele Dishwasher. It has a great idea for silverware that you place it on a 3rd special rack at the very top, all of it laying horizontally. Solves the issues you both raise.

p.s. - ya, your both nuts :laugh:

Therefore, with knives pointy side up, the dirt is flowing away from the eating surfaces.

Who's right?  Or are we both nuts?

Hopefully, even with the pointy side down, the dirt is STILL flowing away from the eating surfaces...unless your cutlery basket has a solid bottom?

Pointy side down, man. Hopefully, though, this is only steak knives and butter knives. NO PREP CUTLERY IN THE DISHWASHER - even if it's advertized as "dishwasher safe".

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

There are more reasons to have the knives pointed down than pointed up, that's for sure.

And safety is the main reason.

When you think about the cycles in a dishwasher and the high water heat involved, whether

the knives are pointed up or down doesn't make a bit o'difference....they're equally clean.

Besides the silverware basket isn't the lowest point in the machine, it's not like the basket

is anywhere near sitting in dirty water.

I'm with you.....pointy side down!

When I got my new dishwasher (GE) I acually looked in the manual (not about this issue) and seem to remember that forks and spoons should face up and knives should have the pointy side down for obvious reasons.

Keba

I remember reading an issue of MArtha Stewart a while back, and they recommended loading your silverware both pointy tips up and down. The reasoning behind this was so that there was less "nesting" of utensils so everything would be washed evenly.

And if you're worried about contaminating the tines or head of your utensils washing your hands beforehand would solve that problem wouldn't it?

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda

2. I think it's more sanitary to have knives (and all silverware) oriented so their handles are up. That way, when you remove them to put them away, you're touching the handles, not the part of the silverware that touches the food.

Ellen's right. Wash your hands before you unload the dishwasher. :wacko:

Most utensils should be pointed up, just as others have said, to decrease the propensity for nestings.

Sharp knives should be pointed down, just as others have said, to decrease the propensity for stabbings.

And also as others have said, when the water is whirling around at high temperatures, it makes no difference up or down in so far as the cleaning goes.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have been a blades-down disciple since the day I was told the most likely apocryphal tale of a man who -whil attending a wake at someone's home - tripped over an open dishwasher door, fell onto the blades-up knives, and expired right there on top of the Jet-Dry slot.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

I have been a blades-down disciple since the day I was told the most likely apocryphal tale of a man who -whil attending a wake at someone's home - tripped over an open dishwasher door, fell onto the blades-up knives, and expired right there on top of the Jet-Dry slot.

personally, i don't ever load any knives into the dishwasher but would probably put them point down after reading this.

You put knives in the dishwasher???? My Henkels (I know, too lazy to go check spelling) never go in the dishwasher: prep or steak knives.

I have heard this for years; my parents have been putting their Henkels in the dw for about 15 years though, and they have broken in beautifully..... funny, eh? What damage is the dw supposed to do?

Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

There is a good amount of chlorine in the detergent used in most dishwashers. That is generally bad for any kind of steel.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have been told to forego putting my Henkels in the dishwasher not because of the steel corrosion issue but rather the dry detergent whirling away until dissolved (microabrasion) somehow dulls the knife edge. Someone used the example of dishwashers 'etching' aka scratching fine crystal. My knives are 16 years old and I see no corrosion. But they have ben put in the dishwasher for only the last couple of years.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

I am another one who would never think of putting my good knives in the DW, especially my collection of Japanese knives. Some of these have bamboo handles (Suisin & Honyaki) and I would hate to see what a DW would do to it's beauty.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

...and expired right there on top of the Jet-Dry slot.

An ignominious end for sure.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I have been told to forego putting my Henkels in the dishwasher not because of the steel corrosion issue but rather the dry detergent whirling away until dissolved (microabrasion) somehow dulls the knife edge.  Someone used the example of dishwashers 'etching'  aka scratching fine crystal.  My knives are 16 years old and I see no corrosion.  But they have ben put in the dishwasher for only the last couple of years.

What if you're using gel/liquid detergent?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

It's not "microabrasion". Dish detergent is just that, detergent. It doesn't matter whether it's gel, liquid, or powder. If it's got some sort of chlorination agent in it, your knives will suffer.

It's the chlorine and other oxidizers that do the disinfection that also damage knives (at least the metal).

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have been putting my Henckels Five Star knives in the dishwasher for fifteen years, and they are fine. BUT--the five stars don't have rivets, I put them on the top rack, and I never use the high-heat or "pots" settings.

Julie

I think some of the wear and etching may be related to the water source. My parents' glassware was always etched from their dishwasher, and they kept their sharp knives out on the assumption that the knives would be etched as well. They were on well water, and despite household water filters there was a lot of sediment. City water treatment systems probably get more of the sediments out - but then there's chlorine in the water in addition to whatever the detergent adds.

My good knives stay out of the dishwasher, and I wash them by hand. My husband would rather wreck a perfectly good Chicago Cutlery butcher's knife in the dishwasher, and replace it later, than handwash it, so he uses the older stuff that he brought to the marriage. Keeps everyone happy. I turn the points down when he isn't looking. :raz:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

After you have accidentally stabbed yourself in the palm due to misplacement of a knife in the dishwasher (as I have  :shock: ), it won't take too much convincing to place knives point down.

Soba

What's odd about our arrangement is that my husband is forever going on about being a klutz - to the point that we'd have Melmac dishes if I'd consent - yet he always puts the knives point up. I'm surprised that he hadn't stabbed himself out of that habit before I came along to start putting the points down. :rolleyes:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I learned my lesson about this after I took a nice sized divit out of a fingernail with the up-side of a knife in the dishwasher. It was exquisitely painful and took months to grow out to normalcy. Never again.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Knives in the dishwasher Never.

Do not expect INTJs to actually care about how you view them. They already know that they are arrogant bastards with a morbid sense of humor. Telling them the obvious accomplishes nothing.

Our prep knives never go in the dishwasher (except when my brother-in-law, trying to be helpful, by doing the dishes, put one in by mistake; fortunately, I rescued it in time). But butter knives, sure. My husband and I have a system whereby I usually put in all my silverware business end down, and he puts his in business end up. I think we read the same info when we got our dishwasher about mixing things up and down to reduce nesting.

I'd probably be inclined to wash steak knives (if we had any) by hand for that reason - wouldn't want to impale myself on the pointy end of a steak knife!

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries