• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crown Royal Purple Bag

Pam R

Growing up, my family spent many afternoons and evenings at the lake around the kitchen table or on the deck with some munchies, beverages (mixed, beers, non-alc.) and Scrabble. As the game went on, we'd pass around the Purple Crown Royal bag - it was perfect for holding the tiles.

When we played marbles in the schoolyard, they came out of the purple bag.

The airline size bottles came in a cute little bag that was perfect for collecting American change. A few weeks ago, I discovered that it was the perfect size bag to tote my iPod in.

Anybody else using these or is it just me? Can you still get them?

they are still available though here in ontario i've only seen them with gift bottles around christmas time.

to my mind there's no housewarming gift like a scrabble board and a bottle of crown royal with its purple bag

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

Yeah, I used to store my Matchbox cars that my grandfather used to get me in them. Crown Royal was his standard whiskey, with Club Soda.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I don't drink Crown Royal - but I snarf the bags up whenever anyone will give me one. They are definitely handy and elegant for holding all sorts of things. I have one in my bedside nightstand.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

I don't drink Crown Royal - but I snarf the bags up whenever anyone will give me one.  They are definitely handy and elegant for holding all sorts of things.  I have one in my bedside nightstand.

Anything resembling an electric appliance or battery operated? No, don't answer that. :laugh:

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I don't drink Crown Royal - but I snarf the bags up whenever anyone will give me one.  They are definitely handy and elegant for holding all sorts of things.  I have one in my bedside nightstand.

Anything resembling an electric appliance or battery operated? No, don't answer that. :laugh:

Mum's the word. :shock:

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Yeah, I used to store my Matchbox cars that my grandfather used to get me in them. Crown Royal was his standard whiskey, with Club Soda.

My Zaida used to enjoy a shot of it every once in a while (or more).... Every time my family went across the border every over-18 year old would get a bottle... before we switched to rum for baking.

When I moved a few months ago, I found 5 FULL bottles, all in bags in the basement. Apparently, there are some more at work. We're moving the business too, so who knows what we'll come up with.

Think they'd go on eBay? :wink:

edited to add that there's also a purple CR tin, with a smaller bottle and two glasses... the tin holds all sorts of possibilities.

Edited by Pam R (log)

Anybody else using these or is it just me?  Can you still get them?

I just got back from a long weekend with my parents, who live in Montana. Mom drinks cheap bourbon, Dad's a Cutty Sark man. But, lo and behold, when we went to get the fishing reels out to give my son some casting lessons (for his own good, of course)... there they were, in Crown Royal bags! Not only elegant, but also handy, since you can use the cord/tie to hang 'em on a nail in the shop.

Richard W. Mockler

Seattle

I will, in fact, eat anything once.

I keep my pipe tobacco, matches, & accessories for travel in a beat up and almost threadbare Old Weller Bourbon bag. They are almost identical to the CR bags but burgundy in color instead of purple and, yes, Old Weller still comes in the bags.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Those bags. Contain Ryan's marble collection, various pieces of lego and they double as an emergency makeup kit for me. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I keep my bartender stuff in one---corkscrews, bowties, other things I might need.

I keep my chess set in the other, with the set and board in a larger CR bag.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I keep my pipe tobacco, matches, & accessories for travel in a beat up and almost threadbare Old Weller Bourbon bag.  They are almost identical to the CR bags but burgundy in color instead of purple and, yes, Old Weller still comes in the bags.

Heh. When I was in college, my purple bag held a different kind of smoking supplies...

"All humans are out of their f*cking minds -- every single one of them."

-- Albert Ellis

How nostalgic. As a child, I was the fortunate recipient of a Crown Royal bag from my uncle and I, too, used it to store my marbles. Oh yeah, hockey cards too when they were in season. I'll have to hunt one down for my preschooler's marble stash.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

You put your weed in there!"

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

marbles, scrabble, tobacco, weed, pens, etc.- they are the perfect bags for so many things.

I have now found 7 full bottles, all with bags. Do I start using the bags myself or should I 'regift' them to others. I love the idea of giving Scrabble and a bottle/bag as a gift - one bag is already earmarked for a friend who will be buying a condo shortly.

The rest... I'm feeling greedy. What will I do with all the booze though? (I'm somewhat allergic to alchol and can only bake so many boozy cakes.)

They're popular for use as dice bags among a lot of gamers. DH & I have been trying to figure out who we can give the bottle to, just so we can mooch the bag :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

dating myself..wacky packages sticker/gum things, with insulting, gross parodies of brand name products..1972, we were ALL about the wacky packages, man! I kept my "prize" stickers in the purple bag.

Every bartender I know carries their kit in one of those bags.

They're good for covering up the tap markers if a keg gets kicked and there isn't a reserve one to tap.

Good for scrabble tiles.

Good to keep in the glovebox with a small Maglight flashlight, a flare, one of those multi-tool thingies, etc. for an emergency.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I have a bag from a bottle of Royal Salute that has to be twenty years old. With the exception of the one night that it held the bottle (and I really don't remember much of it :wacko: ), it has been holding scrabble tiles ever since.

What I want to know is why there are so many consonants in that bag? It's like it has some kind of evil "no vowels for Brooks" spell on it.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

You put your weed in there!"

LMAO!! :laugh:

It took 15 posts but I knew someone would say it! :biggrin:

I use mine to store my D&D supplies, as Allura mentioned, polyhedrons and the like.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

• 2 months later...

Oh, wow, I just found this topic and it takes me back. It was 1981 and my rock singer beau came to the house to pick me up. He was wearing jeans so tight that he had split his zipper during the ride over. His choice of cover? A Crown Royal bag from the bar in the back seat of the car. My father almost choked. Poor *anonymous*, he had to go to the local mall and buy a new pair of pants and RETURN to pick me up. My dear oblivious dad, did he think that he was being tough? To this day I wonder at my father's seeming naivete about some things. The driver thought Dad was crazy to begin with, and I must admit, he is. Actually, a dear old friend just reminded me that the reason Dad probably allowed him a second chance was because his concerts hadn't been scathingly ripped in the news that week and he didn't have a safety pin in his cheek! I can still see *anonymous* standing in the doorway with the CR bag in his hand and the flowers he'd brought. Too bad I don't have a photo, I feel an eBay moment there! Haven't thought of this memory in years, thanks eGullet!

edited because a friend reminded me of the ribbings I got for dating outside of my punk circle! Hey, a cute boy's a cute boy, right? duh.

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Yeah, somehow I missed this topic the first time round too. Though I don't have any exciting stories to offer regarding the Crown Royal bags. I did have one when I was a kid--have no idea where it came from, as my parents really weren't much for drinking--but all I ever kept in it was marbles.