• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Crown Royal Purple Bag

Pam R

My brother was associated with a BBQ team in Houston about 10 years ago or so and one of the members had an overcoat made out of the bags. Sorry no picture but it was truly a sight.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

hmm....i need to get me a crown royal bag.

i've never even had the opportunity to feel one up.  what material is it made of?

A flannel-type material with a slight nap to it; lettering and trim embroidered in gold-colored thread; gold-colored satiny drawstring. (At least the one I had as a kid was like that.)

cool. thanks MizDucky. I'll have to scope them out then, if they're the real thing. For soem reason i've always gotten the impression that the bags were those plasticy lined faux suede jobs. Good to know that my eyes were decieving me.

Latest sighting was at a wedding. The glass that the groom steps on at the end of the wedding ceremony was in a purple bag - I'm guessing they were serving the liquid contents later that evening. :wink:

Edited by Pam R (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's a board game called Aquire many of us bridge players play. Among the group I play with we use the Crown Royal bag to hold the tiles. Unfortunately newer versions of the game have changed, so alas we're a dying breed.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Thanks Alchemist. I was wondering when someone would mention the superior Blanton's bag. Superior a) because it isn't purple, and b) because you get Blanton's and not Crown Royal.

what's wrong with purple? It's a lovely shade.

I feel a certain loyalty to CR ... it's made up the road from me and all. And of course, I grew up with the bags.

You're free to start up a Blanton's bag appreciation thread of course :wink:

Even though I don't drink anymore, I still have a couple of them around for various needs, but the big one holds my poker money. We have a little group that gets together for nickel/dime/quarter games. 3 raise limit, .50 max raise Texas Hold 'em (And we've been doing this for years, long before you could get 11.5g poker chips at Wal Mart and watch hours of it on TV).

One holds soldering iron/solder/assorted electronics repair type stuff, and another holds my wife's sewing stuff. These things are quite valuable, and if someone would figure it out, they could sell a few, if they were decently made. The bags of more recent vintage seem to wear out quicker, and the seams aren't as reliable.

I also had a black bag from Bacardi that I can't seem to locate anymore...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finding some info on Crown Royal for a different thread, I came across What's your bag?.

Now - I think some of your uses are more interesting - but I also think a Crown Royal Purple quilt might look nice on my bed...

And over here you can actually order a personalized purple bag!

Funny, I thought of this thread earlier today when I went into the liquor room at work this morning and saw half a dozen of the Crown Royal bags hanging off the side of one of the shelves where the liquor is stored.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Funny, I thought of this thread earlier today when I went into the liquor room at work today and saw half a dozen of the Crown Royal bags hanging off the side of one of the shelves where the liquor is stored.

did ya take them? :wink:

Funny, I thought of this thread earlier this morning when I went into the liquor room at work today and saw half a dozen of the Crown Royal bags hanging off the side of one of the shelves where the liquor is stored.

did ya take them?[/size=1] :wink:

:laugh: Nah! They've been there for a while, I just hadn't noticed how many had collected in that one spot.

But if you need one, just let me know... :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

chess pieces, best thing I can come up with to use the bags for.

But only real players think of that and are willing to carry chess pieces around.

Most people just have the nice board out on the table so it looks nice.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

PAM R,

They are sold full on eBay!

Full, for collectable purposes only, per eBay rules. Some of the older fifths bring some decent money. 1966, $145, 1969, $65, another from the 50's was over $100.

Plus, there are posters, shirts, lighters, and hundreds of other items. One 3 liter bottle, full, didn't sell for $160. I'm sure that you would need someone in the U.S. to sell them for you.

Edited by Sam Iam (log)

Carpe Carp: Seize that fish!