• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Extract?

sjagielski

Anyone know of a good brand of maple extract? I just purchased an extract from Green Mountain Flavors called "Natural Maple Flavor" and it tastes like lighter fluid. Any suggestions are welcome!

Was it a powder??

If so, it is pure maple with the sugar removed. You will need to add a sugar to sweeten it and balance the flavor. What you can do with it is use maple syrup as your sugar (sweetener) and get a very intense maple flavor. On its own, it is hideous. We use this to brine proteins and give it that intense maple flavor.

What is the application??

Patrick Sheerin

Anyone know of a good brand of maple extract? I just purchased an extract from Green Mountain Flavors called "Natural Maple Flavor" and it tastes like lighter fluid. Any suggestions are welcome!

Was it a powder??

If so, it is pure maple with the sugar removed. You will need to add a sugar to sweeten it and balance the flavor. What you can do with it is use maple syrup as your sugar (sweetener) and get a very intense maple flavor. On its own, it is hideous. We use this to brine proteins and give it that intense maple flavor.

What is the application??

It's for a chewy maple caramel. No, it wasn't a powder. I have added part sugar, part inverted sugar (corn syrup), part maple. But the maple wasn't intense enough so I thought I'd add a bit of extract to make it more intense.

This is Amoretti.

They make awesome flavoring compounds......and yeah, they got maple! :smile:

It does look wonderful.

Is anyone else having trouble getting that website to function? It's OK for me until I get to the list of flavor compounds, and then there is no scrollbar and I can't get the page to work. (I'm using Windows XP.) I guess I would just call for a catalog. They offer it in PDF but that blows up my computer.

Welcome to The eGullet Society For Arts & Letters KathyF.

Thanks Wendy.

Mighty D - the maple sugar is expensive, especially if you have to mail order it like I do.

I've just worked it into my pricing and so far maple lovers don't seem to mind. I replace the sugar in my cheesecake with it and make maple leaf sugar cookies in the fall.

I just made maple/oatmeal bread yesterday and didn't have the maple flavoring called for (I also used all ap flour instead of 2 c's of whole wheat, but I sub like that all the time) and used 2 tablespoons of maple syrup instead. It made a beautiful, high rise, just a hint of sweetness type of bread that dissappeared as toast this morning. I also put a teaspoon of cinnammon in there that you can't detect except as a little something.... any way, I think you can sub maple syrup pretty easily.

Welcome to the board, Kathyf... is this MY Kathyf of cheesecake fame???

I do alot of cheesecakes but I don't know if I'm your's or not Jamerican Diva. That depends on what form of chocolate you have to offer.

Does this help? >;o}

Welcome to the board, Kathyf... is this MY Kathyf of cheesecake fame???

I do alot of cheesecakes but I don't know if I'm your's or not Jamerican Diva. That depends on what form of chocolate you have to offer.

Does this help? >;o}

Ha! Ha! I was one of many that hounded you for a cheesecake recipe back at Delores' cake dec. board. YUMMY! Thanks!

Diva